Finally fixed high idle 2003 Toyota Matrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to share my experience chasing down a high idle in my car. It all started last year after I cleaned my throttle body and IACV. Idle first wouldn't go under 1100, but one more thorough cleaning made it go to 900-1000. The problem was, it would give a P0505 every so often, but I would just clear it and wait for the nextra time. If I were to run the defrost/AC and have the headlights on it was a guaranteed P0505. I lived with it like this for 8-9 months and figured I would need a new IACV eventually.

OK, fast forward to last night. After some digging online, I found a few posts stating you could adjust the angle of the opening inside the IACV. So I removed the TB one more time and found that the motor itself had travel where you mount the motor to the body of the IACV. I set the motor so the valve inside was barely open in the closed position and put everything back on the car.

It was the sweetest sound and feeling to start my car and after warm up my idle was 800. It hasn't idled this smooth in so so long. I just wanted to share this just in case anyone was in the same boat as I was and didn't want to throw parts at it to fix it.

P.S. While I was at it, I went to Fasteners Inc. and bought replacement screws with Alan heads. That way they would be much easier to remove.

Congrats bruh
f6026a7f0e69efae5b4e6f40a12e1437.jpg

Very cool!

Intake manifold gasket leaks were also common on these. I know my mom's 2008 Pontiac Vibe would throw a lean code once in a great while if the ambient temperatures were cold enough. It was rare though and I never got around to fixing it. Durable and reliable vehicles for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back