Is this normal? Or is it fake Mobil 1 oil?

Originally Posted By: wkcars
Found a picture on google of the back of a m1 10w-40 hm bottle, the production code it's printed in the space just above the "Questions or comments about Mobil 1?", just to the top left of the hand with the globe in it. Usually look like it was printed by a dot matrix printer. I agree better safe returning it and get something else, there's plenty of other great oils out there.

I see what you're talking about, and I am 99.99% sure that there was nothing like that on the bottles that I had. I meticulously looked for anything and everything that looked like some sort of code and posted all that I could find. Judging by the way it's printed in your example, I'm certain that I would have noticed it if it were there. I regret taking more pictures now.

Regardless, I guess that just serves as another good reason for returning the product.

Originally Posted By: alcyon
Originally Posted By: Ducked
OOer...Chinese, eh?

I avoid it by buying cheap oil. No one is going to waste time faking that when there;s a higher return on the high-end stuff.

Win-win

Bollocks? No ! In Malaysia/Thailand, there are still reports of fake Shell and Mobil oils sold at spare part shops. So it is happening .I hate to say this myself as an Asian, but Asian's do get a bad rep for counterfeit stuff, because well, most counterfeit products are made by Asians, not just Chinese, even though they are a big source of it.

You missed BOTH my points, and I only had two. They were:-

I don't believe they are adulterating petrol.(i.e. automotive spirit AKA gasoline) here. This does happen on a large scale where the tax regime makes it viable (India and Australia, IIRC) but I don't think its likely here (i.e. I think its bollocks).

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=110006&hilit=gas+is+watered+down

I don't believe they are likley to fake cheap oil for the same reason:Not enough money in it.

This is another reason not to buy high-end synthetics, which are much more likely to be targets.

Last edited:
If you search international distributors in redline oil website GL Lubricant is there.
So I don't think they sell fake products.
I have compared mobil1 5w-30 purchased from GL Lubricant and Castrol GTX left overnight in the freezer next day mobil1 poured like water and GTX was like honey.

Mobil USA has confirmed, Mobil1 0w-30 I have bought from GL Lubricant is genuine Mobil1 according to the information written on the bottles.

Good work Toyota62,

I have purchased from some big importers / distributors before and felt confident in the company and product they sold. They had a big shop front in an industrial estate and employed many local people. They mostly supplied at wholesale level to industry and commercial clients, but were happy for local walk in trade. Min purchase was 3 x 5L jugs, but the price was excellent, about half regular retail. They sell Shell Helix, Mobil, and ConocoPhillips and have been around for years.

My group doesn't have much of a web presence, but there are a lot of importers / distributors about. I think if you are buying from a big established company, that sells to heavy industry, has a physical shop front & large warehouse with many local people employed, then you should be fine.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Send in a VOA and you'll know for sure.

The problem with that is if it is fake oil the oil could vary from bottle to bottle.

Back