New Truck! New oil Spec? 2016 Ford F-350 6.2l v8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Howdy Guys,

Got a new truck..2016 Super Duty with the 6.2 gas v8. As you all know ford changed the oil spec from 5w-20 to 5w30 for some unknown to the public reason.

The thing that has me confused and that I need everyones advice on its the current oil spec listed in the owners manual and on all-data vs. the "wording" they use in the manual.

According to all known data the published spec is WSS-M2C946-A...but here is where it gets interesting. The following is copied from the owners manual...

Recommended motor oil (U.S.): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP WSS-M2C946-A

If a conventional 5w30 meets the WSS-M2C946-A spec...whats the advantage in the blend? The truck is equipped with the IOLM and I plan to use it. Hate to waste money on an un-need supposed blend when i can get spec meeting conventional for $2 per qt!

Sorry I do not have the link, but I did read that Ford decided that HD applications needed the heavier weight.

Pick a solid 5w30 that meets Ford specifications and no worries.

I have no idea why Ford changed to 5W-30 for 2016. I have a 2015 that's still specing 5W-20 as well as an '11 & '12. However, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND use of a synthetic blend or full synthetic for the oil life monitor. Ford suggests a blend but doesn't require... Ford's OLMs were built for Motorcraft synthetic blend. So, if you use conventional, I suggest changing it sooner.

Pennzoil Gold, Valvoline MaxLife or DuraBlend or Motorcraft are my suggested blends. Pennzoil Platinum is my suggested full synthetic. I ran Pennzoil Gold 5W-20 in the 2012 for a long time & ran Pennzoil conventional before that. I'm now on the second oil change of Platinum Full Syn & following my OLM all the way to 0% with Motorcraft or FRAM Tough Guard filters.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Hate to waste money on an un-need supposed blend when i can get spec meeting conventional for $2 per qt!

Lol I always find it funny when people spend $50k+ on a car and want to cheap out on oil

Me too, or those who run the oil twice as long as the OM suggests because they bought synthetic oil.
27.gif

1994 Lexus LS400 OCI is 7,5000 miles/12 months with conventional 5W30.

I went with 6 months and mileage was up to 9-10k with conventional, with synthetic I did 1 year OCI up to 18-20k miles.

I sold the car couple weeks ago at 380k+ miles and the engine was running well without any problem, no engine work ever done in 22 years 380k miles.

I guess I don't see the logic of expensive truck so [censored] money away needlesly on oil...sorry guys. I've run synthetic almost exclusively in the past but it was to extend drain intervals. Extended drains are for me at least the sole reason to shell out the coin. With this vehicle my plan was to simply follow the iolm which I would assume is calibrated for oil meeting the Ford spec. Most conventionalls meet the spec as far as I can see as it doesn't seem too stringent. Formula shell for example meets it and can be had for just under $2 per qt.

Bottom line is that I came asking for advice and am willing to listen. I know very little about the 6.2s and the way they handle oil. If a syn is truly needed to keep it on the road for the next 200k plus I'll buy it. Just wasn't sure if I needed to or not simply following the iolm.

A synthetic or blend isn't needed to make this truck run for hundreds of thousands of miles.

A blend or synthetic is needed if you plan to use the OLM & don't want to have varnish or minor sludge in your engine. Up to you.

Formula shell for example meets it and can be had for just under $2 per qt.
Top tier synthetics were just cleared out at Autozone for $2 per quart; so it can be had very economically if one shops around.
I know very little about the 6.2s and the way they handle oil. If a syn is truly needed to keep it on the road for the next 200k plus I'll buy it. Just wasn't sure if I needed to or not simply following the iolm.
My guess is the 6.2L is very similar to the 5.4L it replaced in that it is not very picky about oil. I do not think a synthetic is needed, but I am also fairly confident the iOLM will go to 10K on the OCI. While I have used a conventional to 12K before, at the prices of synthetics and synblends compared to conventionals these days, I would just pick one of those that meets the specification and call it a day.

Why would Ford not specify synthetic oil if it's needed to use their olm? Not arguing just wondering...

They recommend a synthetic blend & they designed the OLM on synthetic blend. So I think it would be wise to use a synthetic blend or full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I get *so* tired of this fear-mongering rubbish in of all places, a freaking owner's manual.

Really Ford? Really???

I don't blame Ford a bit. Ford gets *so* tired of people suing them because the owner neglected their vehicle and then they blame Ford. Ford is just trying to cover their bases.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
They recommend a synthetic blend & they designed the OLM on synthetic blend. So I think it would be wise to use a synthetic blend or full synthetic.

They don't, really. Ford in Canada uses conventional from Petro-Canada, since CP has virtually no presence here. Plenty of conventionals meet the Ford spec, so I wouldn't fuss about whether something is a blend or not. If it meets the spec and it's the brand one likes and at a price one likes, go for it.

Sure looks like they are just marketing their synthetic blend.
21.gif

It wouldn't meet the spec, but not be approved.

As there is no real legal meaning to the words synthetic or blend isn't the specification the important piece if information? As Garak has pointed out they specify a conventional in Canada...wonder if the iolm are calibrated differently up there

I would gather they're programmed the same, since the specification called for is the same number on both sides of the border. Motorcraft happens to be a blend in the U.S. That doesn't mean all American Ford drivers buy their oil from Ford. Some will buy PYB, as is the case on this side of the border. I would suggest the specification is more important than base stocks, and the specification isn't that demanding. I'd be surprised if there were any SN/GF-5 oil that couldn't pass the tests if subjected to them.

Do you guys not understand what I'm getting at? Ford designed the OLM with Motorcraft synthetic blend. If you're going to use the OLM, use a synthetic blend or better because that's what it was designed for. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Yes, you can use conventional in the vehicle but the OLM was not designed for conventional. If you want to run conventional for 10,000 miles of every day driving or 8,000 miles of hard towing, whatever. Your problem, just hope I'm not the person who purchases a used vehicle you owned.

PLEASE, someone be my guest & run a conventional oil for the length of the OLM in a heavy duty truck & get a UOA... OLMs have synthetic oils close to 1.0 TBN when they tell you to change & you expect a conventional can hold up to that just as well because "it meets specs"?

Do you guys not understand what I'm getting at? Ford designed the OLM with Motorcraft synthetic blend. If you're going to use the OLM, use a synthetic blend or better because that's what it was designed for. Why is that so difficult to understand?

No, they did not. Ford designed a specification with certain test results in mind. The OLM is calibrated to the specification, not a specific base stock percentage. And, that specification can be met by some vanilla conventionals as well as expensive boutiques.

Where in Ford's owners manuals, warranty booklets, maintenance schedules, FSMs, or in the oil specification is a synthetic oil specified? Your point might fly with dexos1, but it sure as heck doesn't fly with the Ford specification.

Agreed. Conventional is called for in Canada in the owners manual. Besides...what does syn blend mean? Is MC oil really a blend? Prior to dexos GM OLMs ran conventional out to some long OCIs.
I bet the vast majority of super duty trucks get the [censored] kicked out of them by roofers etc and don't get any special oil...that's the real test!
Don't take this as arguing...just conversation.

PLEASE, someone be my guest & run a conventional oil for the length of the OLM in a heavy duty truck & get a UOA... OLMs have synthetic oils close to 1.0 TBN when they tell you to change & you expect a conventional can hold up to that just as well because "it meets specs"?
2015_PSD ran conventionals in a 5.4 to 10K and the UOA looked OK. We're probably throwing away money using syn and following OLM.

Agreed. Conventional is called for in Canada in the owners manual. Besides...what does syn blend mean? Is MC oil really a blend? Prior to dexos GM OLMs ran conventional out to some long OCIs.
I bet the vast majority of super duty trucks get the [censored] kicked out of them by roofers etc and don't get any special oil...that's the real test!
Don't take this as arguing...just conversation.
So inquiring minds want to know---what oil will you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back