Freeing up dirty, stuck oil control rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas, what is my absolute best oil/cleaning additive to free up the infamous stuck/gummed up oil control rings in an 03 Honda CR-V with the KA24 engine? I just bought this thing for the wife very cheap and its in excellent condition with fairly low mileage for a Honda (130k) one owner and meticulously maintained.

I bought it knowing it was consuming oil, just didn't realize it was so much. Problem is you cannot see even a bit of blue smoke from the exhaust when running. I've also slid cardboard under it to make sure it wasn't a leak and its clean and dry so it has to be burning it. After some research on various sites I found the 02-03 CR-V and Accords with this engine have oil control ring issues and consume oil fairly rapidly. I'm hoping a good cleaning will at least lessen it or stop it completely. Oil used for its entire life has been bulk Honda dealer 5W20 so who knows what it was. I now have a PYB/MMO OCI in there.

I quoted the parts that pertain to you from another recent thread. The person who used Trav's method was very pleased.

Originally Posted By: Trav

My suggestion would be to run a can Berrymans Chemtool in the oil at idle only for 20 minutes then shut it off, do not drain the oil yet.

Remove all plugs and pour a couple of ounces of GM top engine cleaner down each plug hole, reinstall the plugs lightly and leave it site a day or even 2.
Remove the plugs, crank the engine a few revolutions with a socket and ratchet on the balancer bolt.
Reinstall the plugs, drain the oil and refill with cheap dino. Fire it up and run it at 2,000 RPM for about 5 minutes then let it idle for 30 min.

After all that get some Kreen and run 16 oz in the oil and fuel, leave it in the oil for a about 1K and do another oil change with filter.

It came from this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3990078/Re:_Schaeffer's_132_Moly_E.P._#Post3990078

You might find the current brew you have helpful. Wait an OCI and see.

Last edited:
I would try adding a mild solvent to the oil about 100 miles before the next oil change. CRC Motor Treatment seemed to help in my old Saturn. (it is one of the Seafoam 'clones').

PS: After posting this I read Demarpaint's response and it is much more thorough and most likely would work better. It depends on how much 'work' you want to do...

Last edited:
Do a piston soak with Berryman B-12 Chemtool. If the rings are stuck due to carbon, this will definitely free them up. You will need change the oil immediately after and again within a short time.

Thanks Guys, I just did a few ounces of Seafoam/MMO blend down the plugs holes sun eve, let it set until Monday eve before I reinstalled the plugs and turned it over. Today is the first day I've driven it to work (40 mile one-way commute) so I'll check it this evening when I get home and see if its helped any.

Is the B-12 better than seafoam?

Got mine all fixed with a plain gasoline+atf down plug holes. Soaked for couple days, repeat, now no more smoke at all. Used to look like a chimney.

Chemtool is significantly less expensive, that much I know. It previously had a add to oil application on the label. Now it does not. Seafoam does, last I looked, have an add to oil treatment instructions.

Does this mean that that Chemtool is more aggressive, or perhaps the berrymans lawyers are just more protective? I don't know. I'd guess that looking at the msds of both products would show they are essentially the same. Others might be able to chime in about that. Probably a thread on that topic already.

I think they both will yield the same results in your case, and would go for the Chemtool, as it's less than half the cost of seafoam. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate???

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Thanks Guys, I just did a few ounces of Seafoam/MMO blend down the plugs holes sun eve, let it set until Monday eve before I reinstalled the plugs and turned it over. Today is the first day I've driven it to work (40 mile one-way commute) so I'll check it this evening when I get home and see if its helped any.

I believe so, Seafoam is pretty mild even though it has alcohol. Kreen is way better than seafoam.

The cleaner will very slowly get past the compression rings. Then its can sit on top of the oil control ring. How about bring each cylinder to where valves are closed, dump in your favorite cleaner into the spark plug hole and hit with compressed air for a minute.

Hey fellas, what is my absolute best oil/cleaning additive to free up the infamous stuck/gummed up oil control rings in an 03 Honda CR-V with the KA24 engine? I just bought this thing for the wife very cheap and its in excellent condition with fairly low mileage for a Honda (130k) one owner and meticulously maintained.

I bought it knowing it was consuming oil, just didn't realize it was so much. Problem is you cannot see even a bit of blue smoke from the exhaust when running. I've also slid cardboard under it to make sure it wasn't a leak and its clean and dry so it has to be burning it. After some research on various sites I found the 02-03 CR-V and Accords with this engine have oil control ring issues and consume oil fairly rapidly. I'm hoping a good cleaning will at least lessen it or stop it completely. Oil used for its entire life has been bulk Honda dealer 5W20 so who knows what it was. I now have a PYB/MMO OCI in there.

If the car was "meticulously maintained" then it wouldn't have ring coking problems if that's what is wrong with it.

For this purpose, B-12 is definitely better. For a penetrating oil to free rusty bolts, Seafoam is better.

Originally Posted By: tig1

If the car was "meticulously maintained" then it wouldn't have ring coking problems if that's what is wrong with it.

Not always the case unfortunately. Sometimes poor design wins over meticulous maintenance. Over the years there were several threads about sludge monsters and the like. Many were very meticulously maintained.

Sometimes how a vehicle is used can also play a part.

B-12 is a very strong solvent that dissolves carbon and residue left from gasoline (think carburetor cleaner) and sludge/varnish. I have used it to clean old heads that were seriously gunked up and they looked new afterwards.

Mineral spirits. I think MMO is 29%. Using full strength is what i use to wash parts and it works very well. I have heard of piston soaks and also a 5 min run with 1 quart of Mineral Spirits by used car dealers but i havent used it myself..never had a car with the need for it.

[/quote]

If the car was "meticulously maintained" then it wouldn't have ring coking problems if that's what is wrong with it. [/quote]

Yes, Honda dealer serviced every 5000 miles and records to prove it, one owner older lady and the vehicle is extremely clean. Sadly maintenance doesn't help with this oil control ring problem that plagued this engine during the 02-03 MY.

[/quote]

Yes, Honda dealer serviced every 5000 miles and records to prove it, one owner older lady and the vehicle is extremely clean. Sadly maintenance doesn't help with this oil control ring problem that plagued this engine during the 02-03 MY. [/quote]

That's what I was saying. Sometimes poor design can trump meticulous maintenance, and/or following the owners manual.

Exactly demarpaint- the thing runs great and goes excellent in the snow! Definitely worth repairing, which is why I bought it.

You may want to try using 5w30. I've been using 5w30 since my 03 CRV was new and now have 185,000 miles on it. I use a little oil but not enough to add between oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
You may want to try using 5w30. I've been using 5w30 since my 03 CRV was new and now have 185,000 miles on it. I use a little oil but not enough to add between oil changes.

That's all I use, not a proponent of anything thinner than a 5W30 in any ICE.
27.gif
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back