Silencer for a Pistol ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the Sig Sauer website, I notice most of the models come with or without threaded barrels.

Is there any reason to have a silencer on a pistol used for defense ? I'm assuming if you're defending yourself from someone trying to harm you, they already know you're there, correct ?

A suppressor would allow better follow-up shots, especially indoors.

Don't worry about it though, they're not legal in California.

Be Great for shooting the neighbors poodle that keeps pooping in your yard. Really, silencers are trying to get legalized for people to shoot without disturbing others. The just read a article in NRA newsletter. I really cant see why they are illegal.

Assuming you mean defense of the home. Firing a weapon indoors can be stunning to say the least. Silencers mitigate that problem. They also reduce flash which can temporarily blind you in a darkened home.

Silencers are not legal in California.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Is there anyway to see if you'd pass a background check without actually buying a gun ?

Is there any reason to have a silencer on a pistol used for defense?

You ask some peculiar questions.

We recently passed a suppressor law allowing use here in Minnesota. When the governor first heard about the proposal he said 'no way'. Like others, he had his notions from watching the 'bad guys' using such 'whispering death' devices in the movies. Once reality came into play, the law was quickly enacted.

Originally Posted By: GeorgeKaplan
Assuming you mean defense of the home. Firing a weapon indoors can be stunning to say the least. Silencers mitigate that problem. They also reduce flash which can temporarily blind you in a darkened home.

Silencers are not legal in California.
Especially when Rambo wants to use a .44 mag for home defense. The notion of being able to engage without smoke, flash, or sound giving away your position has been around a long time.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Especially when Rambo wants to use a .44 mag for home defense. The notion of being able to engage without smoke, flash, or sound giving away your position has been around a long time.

It doesn't have to be a .44 Magnum. Most people don't have a clue how bad it is on your hearing to fire even a 9 MM indoors. A single shot can and WILL cause permanent hearing damage. About all one can say on the subject is it's better than getting killed by the perp.

Originally Posted By: billt460

It doesn't have to be a .44 Magnum. Most people don't have a clue how bad it is on your hearing to fire even a 9 MM indoors. A single shot can and WILL cause permanent hearing damage. About all one can say on the subject is it's better than getting killed by the perp.
Noise induced hearing loss, the VA sends me a little check.

You mean the agents in all the crime shows always wear hearing protection as they walk around on the job? After all, they fire indoors all the time and the women still look and hear good.

Lol.

Yep!

And silencers make guns completely silent.

And one bullet makes the bad guy fly backwards.

Oh, so many truths in how Hollywood portrays firearms!

Movies and entertainment media are where most people gain all their knowledge about everything. Did anyone see the study where 10% of college GRADS think Judge Judy is on SCOTUS.

my 357 is too loud with ear plugs in my ears and outside

Originally Posted By: Chris142
my 357 is too loud with ear plugs in my ears and outside

I have been shooting for the last 53 years. I have a complete loss of hearing on my left ear, (non cancerous tumor from childhood), and only about 75% hearing on my right ear. Whenever I shoot handguns I wear foam plugs and 33 DB reducing headphones. When I shoot rifles I don't use the headphones because they interfere with the buttstock. However rifles shot outside dissipate the sound far better than handguns shot at indoor ranges.

Looking at the Sig Sauer website, I notice most of the models come with or without threaded barrels.

Is there any reason to have a silencer on a pistol used for defense ? I'm assuming if you're defending yourself from someone trying to harm you, they already know you're there, correct ?

First off it is called a suppressor not a silencer. Contrary to what the movies say, a suppressor does not make a pistol whisper quiet.

Second, having a "suppressor" on a pistol for home defense will help protect your hearing

The state of Commufornia might be the WORST state for firearms.

I don't own a suppressor, but have shot a 45 ACP pistol and a 223 rifle with one on it.

The 45 sounded about like a phone book falling off a table-not super loud but not exactly quiet either. The 223 sounded like a .22 handgun-loud enough to be uncomfortable, but probably not loud enough to cause serious hearing damage.

The big battle with many popular handgun calibers, including "Magnum" revolvers(the .32 H&R Mag excepted) as well as popular semi-auto calibers like 9mm and 40 S&W, is that they are super-sonic and a suppressor can't do anything about the supersonic "crack" that the bullet makes. Among the common self defense calibers, the only ones I can think of that are sub-sonic are 38 special and 45 ACP. I've seen some 147gr 9mm loadings that are just a little south of being subsonic, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back