Optima DS46B24R - Prius Auxiliary Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prius Auxiliary Battery Adventures.

Some of you may know, but the 12v (AKA Auxiliary) Battery is a bit of a strange animal. First of all it is an AGM and has a vent tube. Secondly the battery post are about half of normal size. The factory battery is a low AH/CCA battery and it is reported that vehicles without the smart key system have even smaller ones. While direct fit batteries are becoming more common (I found a listing for an Exide and Bosch [which looks a lot like the Exide] in addition to Toyota and Optima) Optima is a popular choice offering slightly higher capacity. Even before the specific Optima was introduced people were modifying the 12V battery cable to install a Honda spec Optima - this is no longer necessary with the Prius specific Optima.

Also, this battery implementation is a bit different from a normal car battery. It is not my intent to explain the Prius starting and charging system - plenty of that on the internet, but it neither runs a starter or gets charged by an alternator.

Having seen a drop in mileage and gotten the red triangle a couple of times (that is bad) I did some of the common test and found the existing battery dropping below 11volts under a headlight load after an overnight rest. Charging and conditioning did not seem to improve the situation. So I chose to replace the existing battery with the Optima. This Optima is listed for cars with the smart key system (SKS) however folks have reported successfully fitting it to non SKS cars by replacing or modifying the battery tray - which is really more like a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the quarter panel.

Armed with an Advanced Auto Parts discount code - I went off to the AAP website and placed an order for store pickup ant the only store in the immediate area showing it in stock. Upon arriving at the store they were unable to locate the battery and had to order it from the warehouse, not a big deal since It wasn't dead in the water. (In retrospect I thought it was odd this store showed stock on it - it is not in an area where I would expect this battery to be a big seller).

This morning the Battery arrived at the store and I went and got it.

DS46B24R1.jpg

Hmm - about 4 months old and kind of dusty.

DS46B24R2.jpg

Battery Pre-Charge status.

DS46B24R4.jpg

Lets see if we can fix that up.

DS46B24R5.jpg

Getting close.

DS46B24R6.jpg

Finally.

DS46B24R7.jpg

DS46B24R8.jpg

Cleaned up and ready to go in...

Optima - if you are reading this... it would be nice if you could stick the stickers on straight for $200.00.
whistle.gif

DS46B24R9.jpg

And in the new home.

As a side note some have reported that Johnson Controls is also making the Toyota replacement Batteries. The battery in the car was a replacement dated I/12 and was clearly marked GS-Yuasa - Made in Japan.

Last edited:
I ended up installing an OEM battery from the Toyota dealer last year. I can't remember the manufacturer but it was Made In Japan. Originally ordered an Exide but the posts were too big in diameter despite the online image showing the correct size.

Apparently battery post adapters are available; but I couldn't find any close by.

I used a Toyota-brand (Yuasa) battery as a replacement in my 2010 Prius, after five years, as preventive maintenance. $125 or so, from a local, Connecticut dealer, delivered to my doorstep. No problems, direct replacement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete
I used a Toyota-brand (Yuasa) battery as a replacement in my 2010 Prius, after five years, as preventive maintenance. $125 or so, from a local, Connecticut dealer, delivered to my doorstep. No problems, direct replacement.

You did pretty well on that one, the dealer charged $220.00 plus installation in Dec of 12 for the GS-Yuasa.

For $125.00 I would definitely have done that.

I've not had good luck in general with Toyota replacement batteries and have had good luck with Optima though.

This Optima was a direct replacement.

Wonder if they make one now for an 02' Prius. When we replaced ours 3yrs ago, We had to get one from Japan because two corners of the battery cut off like, to fit in the side of the trunk.

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
Wonder if they make one now for an 02' Prius. When we replaced ours 3yrs ago, We had to get one from Japan because two corners of the battery cut off like, to fit in the side of the trunk.

You piqued my curiosity. Apparently Toyota is now selling a tray kit to use the later batteries in the earlier cars. Not sure if the larger later battery will fit though. At any rate it seems no one list the earlier battery.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I have one in my parent's Prius, I think I installed it in 2012. It's still working quite well.
thumbsup2.gif

The D51 that I put in the Honda in late 11or early 12 is still going strong too.

I had the same Optima D51 installed in my S2000 almost a year ago. I bought it from Pep Boys with online code for 30-35% off, so the price I paid was around $120-130 plus tax.

So far so good, I don't know how long it will lasted. This Optima Yellow is the third battery in my S2000, the OEM and Interstate lasted 11 years.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer

You piqued my curiosity. Apparently Toyota is now selling a tray kit to use the later batteries in the earlier cars. Not sure if the larger later battery will fit though. At any rate it seems no one list the earlier battery.

Supposedly the Miata battery fits in 1st gen Prii. YMMV.

The 2nd-3rd gen Prius boot battery might fit the Lexus GS450h/LS600hL, Toyota would be foolish to have a second battery just for those.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Optima - if you are reading this... it would be nice if you could stick the stickers on straight for $200.00.
whistle.gif

So, apparently they do take the labels seriously, in return for looking for the burn code (which was never found) so they could figure out who stuck it on crooked - they sent me another Digital 400 maintainer, which is good because I like those...
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back