Would you use free Purolator classics???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I would post a thread on a popular oil filter site asking if they are ok to use only to incite arguing and bickering among st the members and then do the opposite of what the general consensus is to do with them.

LOL, you think there will be a consensus? I think it will go the way of a thin vs thick deathmatch.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I would post a thread on a popular oil filter site asking if they are ok to use only to incite arguing and bickering among st the members and then do the opposite of what the general consensus is to do with them.

LOL, you think there will be a consensus? I think it will go the way of a thin vs thick deathmatch.

The PureOne series is the one in most trouble. The Classics generated half the failures of the PureOnes. Motorcrafts generated only a few failures.

It is tough to build a consensus when large numbers of members/people are not impacted.

If the general public had issues, the attorney generals would jump right on the issue as if Purolator was on the most wanted list.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
If the general public had issues, the attorney generals would jump right on the issue as if Purolator was on the most wanted list.

Most of the general public doesn't cut open used filters, so assuming nothing truly catastrophic happened, they'd never know if the filter tore or not.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Why would you risk your engine for a few bucks? Not worth it IMO.

Can you site one case where an engine was damaged by using Purolator filters?

Doesn't give a good enough reason for people to use oil filters that can tear.
Better stay away from the OCOD, then, since a torn one was on display here last week, and a POS it was.

No, but can you guarantee 100%, with absolute certainty that there is zero chance the filter will fail and cause engine damage or increased wear?

I don't risk multi thousand engines with known defective parts regardless if it is increased wear or chance for catastrophe.
Can YOU promise the same of FRAM?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Doesn't give a good enough reason for people to use oil filters that can tear.
Better stay away from the OCOD, then, since a torn one was on display here last week, and a POS it was.
I do not like FRAM Extra Guards because they cost too much for what you get. However, running a filter for more than 2x the recommended OCI is a good way for the filter to fail (which is what happened in this case)--irrespective of the brand.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Originally Posted By: WellOiled

Most of the general public doesn't cut open used filters, so assuming nothing truly catastrophic happened, they'd never know if the filter tore or not.

Only if something truly catastrophic is defined by contaminants being filtered on the second or third pass through the filter instead of the first.

Given the efficiency of all oil filters not being 100% @ 1 micron, some contaminants are going through even the best filter anyway.

And if it's cold like it is here, all filters are in bypass every morning anyway.

So the Purolator issues continue to be a stalking horse for the FRAM biased members here.

Good luck with that with all the promising changes in the Purolator line up.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
And if it's cold like it is here, all filters are in bypass every morning anyway.
This is not necessarily true irrespective of the filter brand. Jim Allen did quite a bit of testing on DP and bypass events and found they are far less frequent than people would like to believe.

See here and here.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

After we all see multiple cases of the same failure (50+), then you might be able to say that with a straight face.
whistle.gif

So the Purolator issues continue to be a stalking horse for the FRAM biased members here who don't like using products that show evidence of low quality and failure.

It should say that ^^^ instead.

I don't see how you can equate "Fram biased" people with people who don't like Purolators because of the tearing issue. Pretty much a mutually exclusive issue to me.

What the heck have I missed in the years of my stash!? You guys don't like this filter anymore? I have a ton of PC and Wix filters in my stash. Well I'm not going to throw them away. Will still be put to use as I'm still using oil from the Kmart sale a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
NiteRider take them back to a store and get store credit for them ...Dont use them.
I bought them a while ago so I can't remember exactly where I got them from. I don't want to take to advance and they some how scan the bar and realize that I didn't buy from there. I gotta check out my stash once I return home.

I have so many other, better, filters in my stash, I'd have to say no, just because it would take me years to get to them.

.. however, if I was stuck somewhere and my oil filter just got a hole punched in it by an errant rock, and all I had was a puro filter, I'd use it. Still better than nothing.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
This is not necessarily true irrespective of the filter brand. Jim Allen did quite a bit of testing on DP and bypass events and found they are far less frequent than people would like to believe.

See here and here.

Thanks for the reference material.

The discussion for oil passing through the filter media vs. the bypass in this instance is the same discussion for why adequate filtration is still occurring in a torn Purolator Classic/Pure One. The headloss through the media is less than the loss the fluid sees in routing to the tear location and pushing through the orifice (tear).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back