Toyo Celsius All-Weather Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: edyvw
...On ADAC Michelin is alway average or below average performer when it comes to winter tires….

Took a look at the ADAC tests (14", 15", and 17" sizes) from 2013, 2014, and 2015. The Michelin Alpin A4 was among the top 4 tires for all those years. Rated higher than the Conti TS850 in 2015. I would call that above average performance, but not class leading.

But the Alpin 5 was a midpack, average performer in 2015 and 2014

I am following ADAC since they started to put tests on internet and followed Auto Bild since I was a kid.
There is no manufacturer that changed more models of snow tires then Michelin. Apparently every year they have a new model, which is telling.
I know that had in certain sizes their A4 rated better then usual, but A5 is again where winter Michelins usually are.
It would be interesting if ADAC test Xi3. All the tests that I read here are at best mediocre when it comes to methodology.

But what kind of snow did they test?

dry powdery snow? thick or thin?

Melting/wet snow? again, how thick?

compacted snow?

Or wet snow frozen again?

You're not going to find one tyre that's best on all types.

And then there's winter performance on cleared roads, wet or dry...

I don't believe winter tyre tests are very revealing unless you're sure what you winterwill look like.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
But what kind of snow did they test?

dry powdery snow? thick or thin?

Melting/wet snow? again, how thick?

compacted snow?

Or wet snow frozen again?

You're not going to find one tyre that's best on all types.

And then there's winter performance on cleared roads, wet or dry...

I don't believe winter tyre tests are very revealing unless you're sure what you winterwill look like.

That was my point. Here in the U.S. I still did not see test where they will address all those issues and then provide numbers for us to make a decision.
Wet roads? dry roads? braking? handling? slush? deeps powder? packed snow? soft snow?
I was reading that winter test by Car & Driver and just could not believe how ridiculous it is. Basically: which tire is faster in the controlled environment on packed snow? Conditions that are almost non-existant in the reality.

60k warranty? Slightly aggressive tread pattern? Hmm, I'll have to give this a good hard look. I occasionally take my Cruze camping or down dirt roads. The all-seasons on the OEM wheels aren't good off the pavement. And, this sounds like it might be a good tire to handle the increasingly unpredictable transitions from fall to winter and winter to spring where it's marginal for both all-seasons and snows.

EDIT: Drat, not currently available in either OEM 17" size.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
60k warranty? Slightly aggressive tread pattern? Hmm, I'll have to give this a good hard look. I occasionally take my Cruze camping or down dirt roads. The all-seasons on the OEM wheels aren't good off the pavement. And, this sounds like it might be a good tire to handle the increasingly unpredictable transitions from fall to winter and winter to spring where it's marginal for both all-seasons and snows.

EDIT: Drat, not currently available in either OEM 17" size.

60K tire and snow capabilities? Seriously?
I told you from beginning it is marketing trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back