NAIAS -- Who is going or has gone? Pls Share Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
oilBabe and I are going to Detroit next weekend to check this off my bucket list. Never been to the NAIAS before and wanted to see a world class show, not the dog and pony show the new car dealers and carmakers put on in St Louis.

What should I expect, what should miss and not miss?

What are your lodging plans?

Be prepared for crowds... serious crowds if you're going the 16th or 17th.

Be prepared for weather. It's been really mild, but it's January in Michigan and anything is possible.

Avoid Woodward. Construction is wrapped up downtown, but from Grand Circus Park, through Midtown, all the way to New Center is all messed up. Just avoid it. http://m-1rail.com for construction breakdown.

I like to park away from Cobo Hall and take the People Mover elevated train.

Take your camera.

It's not difficult to spend 4 to 6+ hours there.

Study the web site, floor plan, etc. so that you are not overwhelmed when you arrive. The show is huge. I've never been there on the weekend, but I imagine it might be crowded to the point of being uncomfortable.

Don't forget to visit the basement exhibits!

We booked a B&B back in October. Staying out by the airport Friday as we land late. Pick up the car and are going Saturday. I'll look at parking near the people mover and taking it into the COBO Center.

Thanks for the tips. Let me check some of the other answers...

I go every year, its best to arrive early in the morning it gets more crowded as the day goes on so use the afternoon for second looks and just be patient. I encourage you to park at or close to Cobo I do every year with no issues, take the People Mover to Greektown for lunch I recommend the Golden Fleece and a trip to the Astoria Pastry shop for desert. It gets hot inside Cobo with all the people so do not dress to warm, you can download the floor plan from the NAIAS website so study it no where your at and want to go and you should be able to take it all in no problem, in the basement level they have offbeat things and usually a cafeteria. and you should expect gorgeous girls showing off all the car manufacturers. If you need to use the rest room try the outer ones or the basement level and you will save much time.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Visit Detroit...No Thanks

Actually, we are returning as we came back from Canada via Detroit this summer.

We want to spend some more time in the Henry Ford museum. Didn't get enough as the kids wanted to go. We are staying near Wayne State, so there are plenty of cultural attractions to see.

oilBabe and I visit presidential museums and libraries, but the Gerald Ford Museum is closed for renovations, so a drive to Ann Arbor is out for this jaunt. But there appears to be a fair bit to do.

Come and stay in Windsor.
welcome2.gif

There is a bus that runs regularly through the tunnel to Detroit and drops you right at the door of Cobo Hall.

Planning to go myself....want to see the Cruze hatch/ Bolt.

Might be a few days after opening though....

It was awesome. oilBabe and I can no longer attend the local car show that comes into STL every year. It doesn't compare to the NAIAS.

It was awesome! The displays were amazing, and to say this place was packed would be an understatement. The folks running this show did an amazing job, we found parking behind COBO for $10 and walked 5 min to the convention center. Bought our tickets at a kiosk inside and walked right in. Considering the amount of people there, I was amazed. Just got back from a great dinner at the London Chop House. Yum!

I have to say there were some amazing cars here. I was totally blown away by -

Lincoln Continental
2017 Cruze and Forte - these cars are now mid-sizers!
Buick Avista
2017 LaCrosse

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I'll be there. I go every year, and it never disappoints.

+1 to NYC Jacob K. Javits show.

2014 was a better show than 2015. I will still go this ywar.. I hope it is good again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back