Best 9mm Sub Compact for Concealed Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Another problem that I don't see being addressed here, is a lot of people like myself that have very large hands, can't hold these tiny, little pistols very well, if at all. For me, a Glock 21 has a grip that's "just right". We gravitate to larger framed handguns for that reason. All of my smaller framed guns have had grip replacements done in order to provide a larger, more hand filling grip.

Even all of my AR-15's have had their stock plastic grips changed out to the more hand filling Ergo Deluxe Tactical Grip. Because of that all of these little pocket guns are all but useless. I recently purchased a Bond Arms Stainless Steel Derringer in .45 Colt / 3" .410, because I loved the quality of it's construction. I can barely shoot it because the thing is just too small to hold on to. For people like me a larger, more hand filling gun is the only option for accurate shooting. Small guns are like small shoes. They just don't fit.

This also is obviously a personal preference. I'm not a big guy so I prefer single-stack pistols with slim grips. Many full-size and/or double-stack guns have a grip that's just too far around for me to feel like I've got a solid grip on it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: GMFan
It's interesting that some people in this thread think the Ruger LC9 trigger is the best and others dislike it.

Well it's important to note the distinction that there are two different Ruger LC9 pistols. The standard LC9 has a long heavy trigger pull and a hammer. The LC9s is a striker fired version of the pistol with a markedly improved trigger.

I just picked up an LC9s and really like it. Nice all around.

The OP is sure to get a LOT of opinions. There are a LOT of 9mm SC pistols on the market.

Ruger SR9c
Glock 26
Walther PPS
Beretta Nano
Kahr PM9

There are may others.

My advice is to go and put each one in your hand. Whichever ones feel the most comfortable in your hand, test shoot and see which one you like.

Today I bought and took home a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. I decided to go with model which included the thumb safety (I can always keep it off). The trigger is great and I've been getting familiar with it with some snap caps. I handled the other sub compacts including Ruger LC9 and Springfield XD-S and the M&P felt great in my hand.

As a side note, I was picking up some 9mm Luger for range use and also wanted to get a box of HPs for home use. Got home and realized I bought 25 Hornady 9x18 Makarov instead of 9x19 luger
shocked.gif
Assuming I can't return these I may need to give them to a friend. Bet I won't make that mistake again!

A big thanks again to everyone who helped me with this decision. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this board.

Last edited:
Today I bought and took home a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. I decided to go with model which included the thumb safety (I can always keep it off).

I'm sure you will like it. Dry fire the [censored] out of it. No need to use snap caps.

Today I bought and took home a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. I decided to go with model which included the thumb safety (I can always keep it off). The trigger is great and I've been getting familiar with it with some snap caps. I handled the other sub compacts including Ruger LC9 and Springfield XD-S and the M&P felt great in my hand.

As a side note, I was picking up some 9mm Luger for range use and also wanted to get a box of HPs for home use. Got home and realized I bought 25 Hornady 9x18 Makarov instead of 9x19 luger
shocked.gif
Assuming I can't return these I may need to give them to a friend. Bet I won't make that mistake again!

A big thanks again to everyone who helped me with this decision. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this board.

Congrats on the purchase! Enjoy it and be safe. You bought a nice gun.

Put the 9x18 up for sale on a local gun trader page, someone will buy it from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back