Oil Cooler Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Or that the bearings have too much clearance from wear and need to be replaced or the oil pump is wearing out--many reasons for the oil pressure dropping when the oil is hot and most of them are not because the oil is too thin.

Absolutely. I should have been a bit more specific. I'm referring to a case where an engine holds plenty of oil pressure when fully warmed up, etc. but shows low pressure during or after a hard run (such as oil temp of 210* in normal driving vs 240* towing up a mountain).

Originally Posted By: Soak_n_Fused
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Long as your oil pressure holds at least 25psi at all times, you'll be fine.

When towing, mine would drop to 19psi at some instances, and that's when the racket started. Phasers can't return to idle setting when pressure is less than 25psi.

Switching to a 40 weight solved this issue, but adding an oil cooler allowed me to go back to 5/20.

did you notice a difference in anything else when you ran a 40 weight

Zero. No difference I fuel economy, drivability, nothing.

Ford had a TSB out for these issues for a while that stated to switch to a 40 weight oil for engine and cam phaser noise but it was withdrawn

Ford had a TSB out for these issues for a while that stated to switch to a 40 weight oil for engine and cam phaser noise but it was withdrawn
It was not a TSB, it was an OASIS message and designed to quieten the owners much more than the engine. As a former modular owner, I took an interest in this subject when I first bought my 2010 FX4. I have never seen the OASIS message anywhere except on the Internet, only as an image, and always the same one with the tell-tale underlining of the words "10W-40". As you suggest, Ford pulled it which is why it is no longer available except in the format below.

CjezS0.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
It was not a TSB, it was an OASIS message and designed to quieten the owners much more than the engine.

Sounds very much like the Nissan Ester Oil business with respect to the G37 and 370Z. Quieting the owners was important, and many techniques were used.
wink.gif

Two different issues entirely.

Ford has never said anything to anyone about using 15/40 when these engines can't return the phasers to idle setting as a result of low oil pressure at high temps.

The light-load phaser noise issue is a different matter entirely that has nothing to do with oil pressure.

The last straw for me was driving the Skyway Pier in St. Pete. The whole way down the pier is driven in the exact conditions that aggravate the noise most. Sounded like I had a loose exhaust hanger it was making so much racket.

M1 0/40 has cleared up that funny business.

they do that with a lot of the things like oil pressure gauges and even coolant gauges just kind of a psych out so people don't ask stupid questions

Driving last night with temps near 0f on my Genesis Coupe with the Ford oil cooler/heater. Coolant temp was 183f and took maybe 10 minutes to hit that. It does have the t-stat in the water pump controlling the coolant via the lower radiator hose.

Oil temp took over an hour to get to 170f. After that it finally stabilized just under 180f.

Driving was all highway but the last hour there was a few stop signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back