Six Generation Accords any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Isn't this the generation of Accord that had that weird brake rotor design where you have to take the entire wheel bearing out and unbolt the rotor from behind to remove it? If so, that would give me pause.

They have had captive rotors (impact screws) since at least 1990, i'm not familiar before that.

Quote:
94-97 were the best, the last Accords built in Japan.

Incorrect. My 2004 Accord was Japan built.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Quote:

Yep, my 02 was built in Japan as well.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
94-97 were the best, the last Accords built in Japan. 04+ are good.

I had 94 accord and put 415,xxx km on it with an automatic and had no problems. The only issue was a hairline crack in the engine block near the exhaust manifold. Removing the bolt from the manifold to the block slowed the leak right down. There was a recall for it.

My buddy had a 94 accord with a 5spd and put close to 600,000 km before he dumped it. His original clutch lasted over 400,000km. I would look for 94-97 they are solid cars.

The one in my signature has close to 400,000 miles (not km) on the original automatic transmission. It was slipping some when I bought it from a friend/original owner at 190,000 and I hammered it to death for years. Same slip is still there today, going from 3rd to 4th, and it gets fuzzy on some downshifts. It will chirp 2nd gear wide open throttle. I don't know why Honda didn't stick with this transmission for the 98-02.

I heard that the problem with those transmissions is poor lubrication of 3rd gear clutch pack, this degrades the fluid rapidly. The V6 exaggerates the problem because of the additional power applied. In theory frequent fluid changes will prevent failure. But they need to be very frequent, like every 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Quote:

Yep, my 02 was built in Japan as well.

I'm looking around online and seeing that I am wrong, way wrong. I have been wrong for a long time. I knew the Hybrid Accords were made in Japan but I thought aside from some demand gaps that they were strictly U.S. made cars from 98+.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
And my '96 was built in Ohio.

Perhaps for ultimate irony, my Accord was also apparently made in the U.S.

I found this about Honda's, if your vin starts with J it is made in Japan. 1 Made in U.S. 2 Made in Canada. 3 Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back