Low Oil Prices: Saudi Arabia Says It's Ready To

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Gas tax link

Here's what I found doing a quick internet search assuming the information is accurate. It seems that the rumor that gas tax isn't spent on roads and bridges is another lie spread by right wing talk radio (as if they don't spread enough bee yes around).

Where did you find it, DNC.org? Why not do an internet search on how all the Social Security tax revenue isn't spent on Social Security? I'm sure that's another right wing talk radio creation, too. I'm sure that the truth is that everything is awesome, right?

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Gas tax link

Here's what I found doing a quick internet search assuming the information is accurate. It seems that the rumor that gas tax isn't spent on roads and bridges is another lie spread by right wing talk radio (as if they don't spread enough bee yes around).

Where did you find it, DNC.org? Why not do an internet search on how all the Social Security tax revenue isn't spent on Social Security? I'm sure that's another right wing talk radio creation, too. I'm sure that the truth is that everything is awesome, right?

I don't believe for one second that all of the our taxes that are collected for maintaining our roads are actually spent on the roads. If they are, then why all of a sudden is there not enough revenues to maintain our roads...I think the money is being spent elsewhere, just like it is everywhere else in our gov...

Regardless of what the tax is levied against, it all goes into the same bucket, then gets handed out 2 to 3 fold for whatever the flavour of the day is.

dang, link broke

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said "Taxation is Theft" on the back of a pickup truck... on a road... paid for by tax dollars. Oh the pompous hypocrisy. Wanted to yell out the window "Stay off the stolen roads!"

As was said before, taxes are a necessary evil...spending tax dollars on garbage those taxes were never meant to be spent on and not spending them on what they should be paying for is criminal, unless you believe there is no fraud, waste, or abuse of our tax dollars...
+1

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: CT8
The Saud needs to raise money to pay for all the new military armament they just purchased.

No, they need the money to pay off their citizenry for the social welfare state the government runs so as to stay in power.

Same thing in Russia, and why neither big producers can cut production when prices are low. They'd potentially have revolution and be strung up like the way they treated the political opposition in the past.

There's a lot more going on in petroleum prices than fracking and shale. Those are just the local parts of the puzzle the media can explain easily without having to work too hard.
wink.gif

Never expect them to work too hard when the politically correct explanation is easier to parrot.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I think it would be a good time to raise the gas taxes and fix the roads that are crumbling all around the country.
Sure, just in time for prices to go back UP.. Ever see a gas tax go DOWN? If infrastructure is a mess, perhaps we should end free cable and cell phone handouts to the neversweats.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Imagining that the Government will spend the money intelligently is our first mistake. Anyone seen the national debt? Giving them an additional revenue stream is idiotic based on past performance. Congress has a history of filching money from wherever they want to, leaving IOU's they cannot repay.

It has already been shown that private for profit companies watch their dollars FAR more carefully than any Congressman. Removing the corruption behind huge highway projects would be a great start...

Most, if not all of those projects are done by private companies anyways. The gov't just strokes out a check.

I wish it was that simple. But it's not. My Father's Uncle was a road contractor in Ga, and if you didn't stroke the right politician you never even got considered...

Imagining that the Government will spend the money intelligently is our first mistake. Anyone seen the national debt? Giving them an additional revenue stream is idiotic based on past performance. Congress has a history of filching money from wherever they want to, leaving IOU's they cannot repay.

It has already been shown that private for profit companies watch their dollars FAR more carefully than any Congressman. Removing the corruption behind huge highway projects would be a great start...

Most, if not all of those projects are done by private companies anyways. The gov't just strokes out a check.

I wish it was that simple. But it's not. My Father's Uncle was a road contractor in Ga, and if you didn't stroke the right politician you never even got considered...
Down in Rhode Island they had a governor go to jail over that issue. OF course some are still waiting for the tooth fairy.

Last edited:
So for those opposed to the gas tax: What is your solution to our infrastructure problem? I've read 5 pages of anti-tax posts yet nobody has offered an alternative solution.

In Ohio gas is roughly 1.75 a gallon. Feds get 18.5 cents of that 1.75. The state of Ohio gets 28 cents of that 1.75. I-80 in the northern part of the state is a toll road. I don't know what the state cut of that toll is. Gov.Kasich want to raise the gas tax for the state to 45 cents a gallon and its gaining steam here due to the fact that 70% of our bridges here are deemed unacceptable.

We have similar troubles down here in the south of OH-need an interstate bridge over the Ohio River to the tune of roughly $1.5B (which is more out of town & semi traffic than anything else), and a major viaduct that is 80+ years old (Western Hills) that will run another $500 million or so. The county (Hamilton) is virtually bankrupt due to bankrolling 2 new stadiums combined with shrinking property & sales tax revenue & can't afford any of it.

That's because there is no other reasonable solution other than toll roads.

Or raising the gas tax, which hasn't been raised in 23 years. Let's see, the population of this country has gone up, there are more and heavier vehicles on the roads, there are more roads/bridges to maintain, and we're collecting the same amount of money per gallon as 1993.

If you want to turn every single road into a toll road, that would require lot$ more infra$tucture to build.

Alternatively, we could bill every registered car owner for miles traveled per year. But that raises privacy concerns, and there would be a lot of ways around that without some sort of intervention.

Or, raise the gas tax by 10-20 cents...

I am a Libertarian and reluctant to push for more taxes but I would prefer a $2 gallon gas tax increase, $1.00 gal. to pay down federal debt ONLY, the other $1 to pay down state debts only, and if / when gas prices shoot up we can reconsider the tax. This will reduce our fuel use, and reduce fuel prices sold by Russia, Venezuala, ISIS, and Iran (and, alas, Saudi Arabia).That would be very useful. Very useful would be to eliminate the Davis-Bacon Act, or seriously revise it to make it fair and useful. It is very expensive and has a extremely racist heritage dating to the 1930's.

As usual with anything government, it isn't a revenue problem. Road building lobbies are massive and the fanatical insistence on union labor greatly inflates the per-mile costs. Add to the mix the spending on useless and unneeded roads and it isn't long before you are "out of money" as they claim here in Wisconsin. The money waste is sickening.

Then add all the government theft of gas-tax money for other uses (a pet technique of our former governor).

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
I am a Libertarian and reluctant to push for more taxes but I would prefer a $2 gallon gas tax increase, $1.00 gal. to pay down federal debt ONLY, the other $1 to pay down state debts only, and if / when gas prices shoot up we can reconsider the tax. This will reduce our fuel use, and reduce fuel prices sold by Russia, Venezuala, ISIS, and Iran (and, alas, Saudi Arabia).That would be very useful. Very useful would be to eliminate the Davis-Bacon Act, or seriously revise it to make it fair and useful. It is very expensive and has a extremely racist heritage dating to the 1930's.

I like the way you think, but add in a rebate for the first seven gallons used per person per week. So long as their license & insurance are up to date. Pass it through the credit card processing system to cut paperwork.

It's sad and annoying that wanting un-potholed roads means stirring up a hornet's nest of hiring union workers vs starving them out. I just want smooth riding.
frown.gif

My BIL's a foreman for a fairly good sized local road contractor. They aren't union and pay about what you'd think. Their biggest issue is the state DOT holding up money/ projects for zany reasons. Then they try to do asphalt in November when it's too cold and it comes out poorly. But the funds/ paperwork are there then, finally.

Originally Posted By: AdmdeVilleneuve
Some additional discussion on collapsing crude oil prices. The linked video is short, but provides a good overview.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...s-in-oversupply

Some posters claimed that oil industry controls the price by controlling supply.

Why the oil industry flushed the market with so much more oil lately, if they can control supply ? Who likes to sell their products for less ?

Last edited:
me thinks, they will keep producing and sell it for less, as long as they are still getting something for it... that something is enough to keep their society fed and running, while keeping the ruling party in power. until they run out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back