US state attorneys say VW 'not cooperating'

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is truth to German privacy laws. I work at global company and the only country we exclude from many HR items for data privacy is Austria and Germany.

I don't care either way, buy it don't buy it. Believe, don't believe it. All large companies lie and/or cheat. People are still going to drive what they want.

I was discharged from the Navy for developing a bad case of adult Asthma. I am here to tell you that I don't like any diesel.
It always makes my asthma flare up quickly. I take 2 inhalers and a pill at night and two inhalers in the morning for it everyday. Those are the meds to control it.

About the only time I have to use my emergency inhaler is if I get stuck behind a diesel anything. I also know I am not the only person with asthma who has the same problem. Believe it or not there are asthma forums just like BITOG! We talk about natural meds.
smile.gif

You can take that for what is it worth. I sort of like that they regulate diesels. Helps me breathe a little better.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME

It seems the violation is that the software "mode" (whatever it's originally-intended purpose) was not declared as an "auxiliary emission control device," rather than not passing the emissions test. VW's management is stuck between a rock and a hard place until they understand exactly what went wrong in their business process.
The whole scandal has been blown out of proportion by indignation and greed. It's simply a mistake that needs correction, and all companies make mistakes.

Any and all companies and people make mistake(s), but in this case VW intentionally cheated the emission system in US and all over the world.

If nobody did the real world test then VW would get away with lab test only. For some reasons a group of an University in US got a research fund to do actual driving emission test and found the unusual pollution.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
This is going to continue to damage their reputation.

On the contrary, all the TDI drivers I know (which is a good number), indicate that if they had $20-30k in their pocket to buy a new car tomorrow, another tdi is precisely what they would buy. All this is doing is showing the idiocy of the EPA's war on passenger diesels.

I don't know how their sales are right this moment, but they took a pretty big hit overall in November...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...-diesel-scandal

I think they need more TDI loyalists who actually have $20-$30K for a new car, or can finance one, because the general public doesn't seem to be giving a free pass.

I know some VW people would roll coal before they would go to another brand, but in many "progressive" places with relatively high VW ownership, many VW owners would choose to wash their sins with a Prius next time.

In the long run, they'll be fine. This is their Toyota unintended acceleration, GM key rotation, Ford house fire moment. They shouldn't fight the punishment too hard though or it could hurt them.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I would not bad mouth the cars, once fined and the guilty party goes to prison. I would buy a Volkswagon.

No one is going to prison. It is all about the money. The gooberment just wants a reason to go after the bucks and this is all this is about anyway. If they will allow someone like me to buy a brand new semi truck, without a factory installed engine, and drop in a remanned pre-EGR engine in it, they don't care that any VW engine is emitting anything more than the approved level of stuff. They just want the money, flex their gooberment muscle with VW, and set the example they will use against the next violator. And that is how I bought my present semi truck. A 2013 Freightliner without a motor or trans, dropped in a factory remanned 2000 year pre-emission engine and factory remanned 18 speed trans in it, titled and licensed it, and it has been hauling freight since September of 2012. Not a EGR, DPF, or SCR in sight. Nice, simple, significantly lower cost, and no cheating the system.

civil versus criminal...discovery is often a hoot for both sides.

The government attorneys feeding from the trough have a fresh cause célèbre to rationalize their 'work' and corporate counselors will make a buck.

Then they'll 'pass the savings along' to subsequent customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back