Kohler CV18 Engine oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all on the filter suggestions. The 3600 has the advantage of also fitting my 98' Ranger. Does anyone know the specs on the 10w-30 Mystik oil? TBN? Rotella, I think is just average around 8.

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
Thanks all on the filter suggestions. The 3600 has the advantage of also fitting my 98' Ranger. Does anyone know the specs on the 10w-30 Mystik oil? TBN? Rotella, I think is just average around 8.

Mystik JT-8 TBN is 10.0

M20003.pdf

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Do you have room for a filter larger than the 3600?

The XG3600 size is overkill for almost anything,it's got tons of holding capacity.

The Fram xx16 or the xx8A are bigger though.
21.gif

If there is room, why not?

Walmart has the Motorcraft FL-400s (3600) and the FL-1A (xx8a) for under $4. I'd personally look into those.
wink.gif

I've never seen anything bigger than the PH8A with that thread size unless we're talking about those ridiculous foot long filters that have lower efficiency than their counterparts?

Thanks, I am feeling better and better about this JT-8 and the TBN is better than Rotella and for a great price. Awesome, and were talking about oil for a riding mower LoL. Mystik is Citco's top tier oil I think.

Do you have room for a filter larger than the 3600?

The XG3600 size is overkill for almost anything,it's got tons of holding capacity.

The Fram xx16 or the xx8A are bigger though.
21.gif

If there is room, why not?

Walmart has the Motorcraft FL-400s (3600) and the FL-1A (xx8a) for under $4. I'd personally look into those.
wink.gif

I've never seen anything bigger than the PH8A with that thread size unless we're talking about those ridiculous foot long filters that have lower efficiency than their counterparts?

Not sure what you're talking about.

I asked if OP had room. You said even the larger 3600 was an overkill.

I just suggested the 8A or 16. If there's room, why not?

They should be about identical, but perhaps if it can handle the diameter of the 16, it might be able to handle the length of the 8.

I am not sure what OP's setup looks like so these are shots in the dark.

Fl-299 is twice the filter, 2qt Ford. I have two currently on the reome mount of my Wisconsin v4(bobcat).

Kohler prefers 10w-30, but any multi-wieghts should be fine.
I have worked on many ope's powered by Kohler running 10/15w-40, 20w-50, even 5w-30. They seemed to survive quite well. My 24hp 7000series specs sae30 above a certain temp.

Harvey

I really doubt a filter that is .5" longer will make any difference for cooling the oil. If you want cooler oil get the oil cooler kit for that engine. I have one on my 25hp Kohler Command.

The 3600 is really out of convenience; pricing at bulk, since it also fits my truck. This thread got a bit off track since I was asking about appropriate oil for this Kohler.

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
The 3600 is really out of convenience; pricing at bulk, since it also fits my truck. This thread got a bit off track since I was asking about appropriate oil for this Kohler.

Rotella T5 10w30 or Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W30 would be top choices

kolher has a special oil made for this engine. its very high in zinc and will minimize lifter issues these areknown for. it really helped quiet mine down. its all i use now . tractor supply sells it .

Originally Posted By: super20dan
kolher has a special oil made for this engine. its very high in zinc and will minimize lifter issues these areknown for. it really helped quiet mine down. its all i use now . tractor supply sells it .

Kohler 10w-30: "Exceeds API service rating SJ. Also exceeds MIL-2104E & MIL-46152E, Mack E/O, K/2 Caterpillar TO-2, Cummins NTC 3000 & Allison C-4."

You'll need to clarify the "very high in zinc" assertion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back