Can I use German Castrol 0w40 in a VW PD TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SR1919
"Actually, in Europe, VW 504.00/507.00 proved much more suitable for PD engines"

I think in North America the use of the wrong 5W-30 oil in PD engines (sold new in 2004-2006) by mostly VW dealers gave a bad reputation to all 5W-30 oils regardless of VW specs. Once VW 507 oils came to the US for the common rail engines starting around 2009 then no PD owners would use them because of being 5W-30 even though according to VW specifications 507 oils are backward compatible to VW 505.01 (search for the term 'Radionuclid Wear Measurement' of 505.01 vs 507).

I signed up to a couple of VW/Audi forums in Europe to ask the question of weather using a VW 507 oil in a Pumpe Duse engine has lead to premature cam failures and I could not find an evidence (Europe also has a much bigger pool of PD engines than North America by the way).

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: BobFout
edyvw said:
BobFout said:
E46M3 said:
Pre-PD TDI had cats and EGR using ACEA B3 and B4 based oils (VW 505.00) and 502.00 high-SAPS oils were used back then, and still today, for petrol engines.

I think emission system is much more complicated on PD then on pre PD-TDI. I had those engines in Europe, both with 90hp and 110 hp (variable turbo), and had Skoda Octavia with 1.9 105hp, while my brother has now 5 PD cars and several CR cars in his car pool for business he owns.
Those engines are Euro III, PD engines are Euro IV and some Euro V, and with that have more complicated emission system.
I am not sure that VW 505.01 is anything more stout and more capable of protection then VW502.00. Primarily, 505.01 is emission protection oil.
Actually, in Europe, VW 504.00/507.00 proved much more suitable for PD engines. My brother uses Repsol 5W30 that meets VW 504.00/507.00 in all cars, and no car ever had any issue, and some are clocking more then 350 k km.

I moved to the U.S> from Europe in 2005. Since then I am very often back, also I am using my brothers cars when I am back, usually Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi. I have never, never heard of that issue over there.
He uses now Repsol 5W30 that is VW 504.00/507.00 for like 3 years, and God know how many hundreds of thousands of miles his vehicles made with that oil. Also, take into consideration that speeds are much higher over there, so you are right, it might be very well issue with type of oil, and VW is known to use mediocre oil (in gassers using Castrol 5W40).

Originally Posted By: SR1919
Does the Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi have a PD engine?

Yes, Skoda's are VW's actually (owned by VW). It is kind of rebadged Golf/Jetta or Passat (Skoda Superb). Actually American Passat is based on Skoda Superb (longer wheelbase then EU Passat).
Skoda's since 1996 I thin always had transplant VW engines with same hp/torque.
My brother mostly run 1.9 TDI PD with 105hp and several cars with newer 1.6 TDI CR (we do not get that in the U.S.) and I think he has two cars with 2.0 TDI CR.
I find them actually more practical then VW's and better bang for the buck.

Last edited:
and several cars with newer 1.6 TDI CR (we do not get that in the U.S.)

Luckily for "you"......1.6 TDIs are not as reliable as 2.0 TDIs.....

Have problems with injectors and with high preasure fuel pump......

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Could be, did not hear that from my brother but could be. 2.0TDI CR is reliable, 2.0TDI PD is probably least reliable VW diesel that was ever on market.

The problem is that due our low sulphur diesel here in EU....pump goes south....and it sends its filings further into injectors...

But low sulphur fuel is not apology for that happening.....problem lays in badly constructed fuel pump

The problem is that due our low sulphur diesel here in EU....pump goes south....and it sends its filings further into injectors...

But low sulphur fuel is not apology for that happening.....problem lays in badly constructed fuel pump

Yes of course, because same fuel is used in other cars.
Maybe in Bosnia there is no such issue since sulfur level is bit higher.

smile.gif
prior (actually when I was typing my last post
smile.gif
) I was fiddling with exactly the same tought
smile.gif

smile.gif
prior (actually when I was typing my last post
smile.gif
) I was fiddling with exactly the same tought
smile.gif

Yep that is what happens when you sell oil refinery to Russians, though most reputable vendors are importing fuel from EU.
When I was working for one car magazine I got my hands on Toyota tests of Bosnian fuel, and highest sulfur level had Slovenian Petrol
smile.gif

I think they were importing fuel from Romania.

When I was working in Toyota shop (selling spare parts) cca around 2007-2008.....I saw one opened engine ( we pulled its head off the engine)......and combustion chamber and valves were covered in orange/yellow soot
smile.gif

And the same was the colour of soot at the end of muffler....

When I was working in Toyota shop (selling spare parts) cca around 2007-2008.....I saw one opened engine ( we pulled its head off the engine)......and combustion chamber and valves were covered in orange/yellow soot
smile.gif

And the same was the colour of soot at the end of muffler....

As far as I know (and you know this better) those 1.4 D4-D were really sensitive on high sulfur fuel.
My brother got for his wife Land Cruiser 3.0 D4-D, we will see how that works.

When I was working for one car magazine I got my hands on Toyota tests of Bosnian fuel, and highest sulfur level had Slovenian Petrol
smile.gif

That is the reason that when I am in Bosnia I always refuel my car on OMV with 100 octane fuel.....I know that they can trick with that and that I can fil whatever they have in their tanks.....but at least I have more chance that I get that 100 octane fuel.....imported from Austria
smile.gif

As far as I know (and you know this better) those 1.4 D4-D were really sensitive on high sulfur fuel.
My brother got for his wife Land Cruiser 3.0 D4-D, we will see how that works.

Only thing I know about those 1.4 D4-Ds (around 2007+) is that they were oil burners.....and are covered under warranty if you service them by the book on toyota service....

Same relates on other engines of that time ( 1.8 CVVT in corollas and 2.2 D4Ds in RAV4s and Corollas).....sleves in their engine blocks were poorly hardened....and after a while when those sleves felt out of tolerance due to premature wear they started to burn oil...

1.4 D4Ds were mostly in Yaris.......and the problem is that you could buy Yaris (at least at that time) wich was made in France or in Japan
smile.gif
You can guess (I give 3 chances
smile.gif
) wich one was better built
smile.gif

smile.gif

That is the reason that when I am in Bosnia I always refuel my car on OMV with 100 octane fuel.....I know that they can trick with that and that I can fil whatever they have in their tanks.....but at least I have more chance that I get that 100 octane fuel.....imported from Austria
smile.gif

Well OMV sold its business in Bosnia to Gazprom.
When you are there put gas on INA or Energopetrol and avoid gas stations in Republika Srpska.

Could be, did not hear that from my brother but could be. 2.0TDI CR is reliable, 2.0TDI PD is probably least reliable VW diesel that was ever on market.

Aha well guess I am the lucky winner of that engine in my Passat, the infamous BHW :)

Well I did some homework before buying it used in 2012 so hopefully it will last me more years to come ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back