Shortage of .22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Why is this shortage not alleviated by importing from Russia, Italy, or China. I don't favor buy imports, but neither d0o I support an artificial shortage, caused by people that constantly buy out the .22 stock.

I think walmart took .22 ammo off of their online inventory tracking so that hoarders wouldn't line up to buy the stuff before it hit the shelves. I have seen .22 a few times at walmart but its still hit or miss. If you have a cabelas nearby I would suggest ordering online from them (they always have 22 in stock now) and do an in store pickup to save on shipping.

Last edited:
.22 Ammunition has ALWAYS been available. Just not at a price everyone wants to pay. These guys have always had it.

https://www.unammo.com/#Rimfire

Many brands at all prices. Wal-Mart is always out because they've never raised their prices on it. It's still in the $23.00 a bulk box, (500-550 rounds), range. So when they get it, they sell out in minutes.

Well obviously if the prices have more than doubled there is a "shortage"..Yea I realize its available. ****'s always has it. But again the price is high.

Now I always ascribe to the fact that prices are driven by demand. As such I no longer shoot .22 very much. I choose not to participate. But yea...let those that wish to keep shooting .22 pay the price.

And speaking of Ammo...Trop Guns in my area sold at lealst 500 hand guns in the last 2 weeks thank to Fearless Leader. All ammo here is flying off the shelves, although there is no shortage.

.38's are scarce though.

Yes a few places around me have it in stock regularly but I won't be buying a 50rd box for 25 dollars. Otherwise the places that are closer to 5 bucks a box are always out and have 3 box purchase limits

Originally Posted By: Al
Why is this shortage not alleviated by importing from Russia, Italy, or China. I don't favor buy imports, but neither d0o I support an artificial shortage, caused by people that constantly buy out the .22 stock.

We have an embargo on Russian imports.

You'd figure the neckbeards would have already maxed out their CCs.

I avoid the garbage 22 (Remington Golden Bullet, Federal bulk pack, Centurion, etc.) as it is inaccurate as [censored]. I prefer the good stuff.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I avoid the garbage 22 (Remington Golden Bullet, Federal bulk pack, Centurion, etc.) as it is inaccurate as [censored]. I prefer the good stuff.

Nothing wrong with the accuracy of the Federal..... Especially at this price! The trick to "stocking up", is to do it when it's stacked deep, and no one wants it.

Originally Posted By: 90crvtec
I think walmart took .22 ammo off of their online inventory tracking so that hoarders wouldn't line up to buy the stuff before it hit the shelves. I have seen .22 a few times at walmart but its still hit or miss. If you have a cabelas nearby I would suggest ordering online from them (they always have 22 in stock now) and do an in store pickup to save on shipping.

I've gotten most of my 22lr from Cabelas, ordering online when they have it. I've found it at Walmart just twice, one time got two bulk packs, the second time, a couple 50 round boxes.

I bought two boxes of Federal 555 count copper jacketed .22LR at Richard's Sporting Goods before Christmas for $24.99/box. That's about a nickel a round...good enough for me lately. They had plenty.

Originally Posted By: Al
Well obviously if the prices have more than doubled there is a "shortage"..Yea I realize its available. ****'s always has it. But again the price is high.

Initially, the prices went sky high because of the run and shortage after a few mass shootings occurred 2~3 years ago. But now it's just become the norm for the price to stay high because the sellers know people will still pay the price.

So my question is, did the manufacturers really bump the wholesale price up too because it actually cost them more to make or they are making far less ... or do they want to also get in on some of the profit glut?

Pretty funny how the NRA has managed to jack up the price of 22 ammunition (and every other ammunition and firearm). Imagine the profits created by an artificial shortage caused by "Obama is going to take your guns away". Follow the money, my friends.

Whenever I price ammunition or firearms I would like to purchase I curse the NRA.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Pretty funny how the NRA has managed to jack up the price of 22 ammunition (and every other ammunition and firearm). Imagine the profits created by an artificial shortage caused by "Obama is going to take your guns away". Follow the money, my friends.

Whenever I price ammunition or firearms I would like to purchase I curse the NRA.

Please educate us on how "the NRA is jacking up the price of .22 ammo"?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
So my question is, did the manufacturers really bump the wholesale price up too because it actually cost them more to make or they are making far less ... or do they want to also get in on some of the profit glut?

This is supply and demand, nothing more. They're getting more because people will pay more. When I used to go to my club range 6 or 7 years ago, before all of this nonsense started. There were always at least 6 or 8 people shooting .22's. You could hear the rapid fire going on all over the range, all day long. Now I haven't seen a single one in the last 3 or 4 years. People are standing in line to pay $50.00+ a brick, then hoarding it.

So where is all of it going? "Preppers" and the like are filling their closets with it. I've been shooting stuff I bought back in the 90's...... When no one wanted it, and shelves were full of it at $9.00 a brick. I'll buy it again when these idiots stop with their foolishness. But not now. And certainly not for $50.00 a brick.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
We have an embargo on Russian imports.

Then how does Tula Ammo get in here?

Exactly

Originally Posted By: billt460

This is supply and demand, nothing more. They're getting more because people will pay more. When I used to go to my club range 6 or 7 years ago, before all of this nonsense started. There were always at least 6 or 8 people shooting .22's. You could hear the rapid fire going on all over the range, all day long. Now I haven't seen a single one in the last 3 or 4 years. People are standing in line to pay $50.00+ a brick, then hoarding it.

So where is all of it going? "Preppers" and the like are filling their closets with it. I've been shooting stuff I bought back in the 90's...... When no one wanted it, and shelves were full of it at $9.00 a brick. I'll buy it again when these idiots stop with their foolishness. But not now. And certainly not for $50.00 a brick.

Good post

Originally Posted By: silveravant

Please take off your tinfoil hat/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back