Is Mobil 1 ATF no longer for PS use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi;

I've been using Mobil 1 'Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Formula' in my Toyota Power steering for years (The manual/reservoir cap specifies to use Dexron III).

It came in a silver bottle and on the label says 'Recommended for use in any power steering unit where a DEXRON or MERCON fluid is recommended'.

I just got a new bottle and it now comes in a gray bottle, labeled 'Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Formula' same as before. (Although it no longer says 'Mercon V' on the front label, but still mentions it in the back).

But, the bottle no longer says anything about Power steering use. Neither does their website Produce data sheet.

I've noticed that it smells different (worse) as well.

I was wondering if they changed the formula and is no longer suitable for Power steering use (as a Dexron III replacement). It seems a little scary that they removed an endorsed use from their literature.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks;

It is sort of a redundant designation, if your Power Steering calls for a Dexron III/Mercon ATF, then a a Dexron III/Mercon ATF is suitable.

If this product is designated as suitable for Dexron III/Mercon, then it is, by that definition, suitable for use in your Power Steering if that's what is required.

When i saw the newest ATF bottle that you reference (the one that omits any mention of PS compatibility), there was a proproposition 65 warning for some chemical present in the oil that had never been mentioned on the bottle before. That leads me to believe there has been some change in formulation; perhaps the addition of this new chemical or additive makes it incompatible for use as a power steering fluid...?

I highly doubt it's incompatible with PS systems calling for dex/merc, those thing are not very picky at all. I'd continue using it if you've been using it before. PS fluids don't need as much anti wear additives as ATF so a good ATF is over kill already.

Plenty of people use mineral PSF FF to failure, so a synthetic changed once in the machines life is way ahead of the game.

I used a variety of Dex III transmission fluids that made no mention of use in power steering systems. It never caused a single problem.

Using M1 synthetic PSF in your Toyota is one of the best things you can do to your car.

Power Steering is a simple hydraulic pump.
You could pour just about anything that's oil in there and it'd work.
Shoot, if you are changing it once in the lifetime of the pump then you are doing better than the majority of the cars on the road.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Wouldn't emailing them and asking them result in a more authoritative and satisfying answer?

Better yet, call them at 1-800- ask mobil. I have been using M1 ATF for around 20+ years in my Ford trans and PS pumps with very good results. PS pumps remain quite, even in cold temps. To date, I haven't had a failure of either.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I wouldn't worry. My G37 calls for Dexron-VI as PSF, not a Dexron-VI that talks about power steering on the label.

I guess I'm a little gun shy since its been my experience that the stuff they leave out is sometimes as important as the stuff they put in on the labeling. (I was wondering why would they drop the statement about PS use that they used to have).

As I understand it, Dexron VI is an officially certified standard, so if it calls for Dex VI, any Dexron VI should work since they are all still verified against the standard.

But, since Mobil 1 is a Synthetic 'replacement' for various previously certified fluids, I didn't know if there was any material/seal in the Power steering system that might be incompatible (if they changed the formula).

For example, my recollection is that Dexron VI was initially billed as suitable as a replacement for all Dexron II/III applications. Then, the GM version stated that Power steering use was not recommended. And there was discussion of not using it (GM Dex VI) in gear cases that were spec'd for Dexron III either.

I don't know where that all ended up, but it seems that 'all' sometimes comes with 'asterisks'
frown.gif

I sent Mobil 1 an email asking about PS use, so I guess I'll see what they say.

No, I understand where you're coming from. It's just that the older standards have been superseded, so you're not always going to see a bunch of blurbs about them on packaging. From companies like Mobil, Shell, and so forth, I'd not be terribly concerned.

I gather that PSF use is at least a somewhat significant percentage of M1 ATF's sales volume. Another thing to consider is maybe there were getting grief from people using it in really old PS systems, or Honda power steering systems, and generally driving their call centre people nuts with bizarre problems.

I swear a big part of the reason Type F is still on the shelves is as power steering fluid for older vehicles.
wink.gif

I got a response. It says:

"Our ATF products are not marketed as power steering fluids. Due to the nature of the application, power steering systems are considered safety related systems by the OEM. To ensure optimum performance, most OEMs have very demanding (and unique) fluid specification requirements and because of this we recommend that customers get their power steering fluids from their vehicle dealer.

If the only specification requirements for your system is that the product must meet Dexron III, the product does satisfy that spec. We would still recommend discussing its suitability with your OEM if you intend on using it."

So, I guess that means "probably o.k., but ask your manufacturer"...

Definitely a step back from the old "Recommended for use in any power steering unit where a DEXRON or MERCON fluid is recommended" that used to be on the bottle.

But, not an outright 'no' either. At least a C.Y.A. on their part.

The Castrol Dexron VI PDS says

Exceeds all passenger car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for vehicles, transmissions or power steering service where a DEXRON®-VI, DEXRON®, DEXRON®-III H, III, IIE and II type ATF is specified."

So they seem to come closer to publicly endorsing that use (that I've found so far). But, I'm not sure if I would go with a Dexron VI or not.

I probably won't worry about it. Too bad the newer M1 stuff stinks worse than any other ATF I've encountered
laugh.gif

I wouldn't worry about using the M1. It's interesting to see Castrol's Dexron-VI wording. Maybe Mola or Whitewolf will give us their thoughts on that. I've never really thought about using Dexron-VI in an older PS system calling for an older Dexron specification, but I've never had the opportunity tempt me, either.

Notably, the G37, as I mentioned, calls for Dexron-VI, but the cap, if I recall correctly, just says Dexron, and earlier versions of the vehicle called for earlier versions of Dexron, or OEM stuff. It's interesting to note that they really push the Dexron-VI usage in Canada. I would assume it does better in the cold than their own OEM PSF.

I have a feeling Mobil just might be concerned that power steering systems calling for older Dexron fluid might be getting a little old, not to mention that the specifications are technically obsolete. So, they can't really blame the specification so easily if something goes wrong and claim they're licensed.
wink.gif
I'm sure it's a bunch of worry about nothing on their part, but you know how legal departments are.

Pentosin claims that CHF 11S (and probably their newer stuff) are okay in Infiniti vehicles. I'm sure if I called them and told them I'm using Dexron-VI and wanted to use CHF 11S, I bet I could induce all kinds of hemming and hawing.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back