98 V70 Cold Start Problem Solved

Status
Not open for further replies.
It began rather suddenly one day when outdoor temps remained in the low 50's F at night. Instead of quickly firing off, it would crank for a few seconds, then start. I also noticed the radiator fan would come on after a cold start, and remain on, even after the engine was turned off. That's never happened before. Very odd.

Then one cold morning, it took about 15min. to lite. The tach rose to about 1100rpm and the cooling fan came on! The coolant temp gauge stayed about 2 ticks below its usual 3 o'clock position, before finally rising to 3.

A bit of research led to the ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor. Evidently it's resistance is high when cold, then drops as temp increases. Mine meas. 530 Ohms when cold. Should have been about 3450 Ohms @ 52°F. So the engine computer thought the car was HOT instead. Didn't open the injectors enough for a cold start + even turned the radiator fan on.

Luck was with me this time, I found a genuine Volvo stamped ECT sensor at Advanced Auto for only $27! It was listed as "Borg-Warner"(?). When replacing it, I discovered a split t-stat gasket, leading to a leak. Also realized it's about time to replace the original coolant hoses.

A new sensor solved the cold start issue and the radiator fan running with a cold engine.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Nice start to 2016!

+1

myself as well as many other Volvo drivers would have taken that as a sign that its time for a new car!

12042774_1661053684113115_848213861812012400_n.jpg

It is great to have something like that fixed and ready to go!

"Borg Warner" is actually the BWD brand of Standard Motor Products.They also market under the Standard brand and NAPAs Echlin.They lost the right to use the "Borg Warner" name many years ago,hence why all boxes made in the last 15-20 years say "BWD" only.The name was only licenced....they are not the same company responsible for all those Borg Warner automatic trannys sold to independents in the 50s/60s...

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
myself as well as many other Volvo drivers would have taken that as a sign that its time for a new car!
????????
I seriously doubt that...

Thanks for the explanation...thought it odd the BWD part had "Volvo" "Germany" and something like "ST" stamped into the brass housing.

Re: How I felt too!

Not only was it a simple repair, but the part was geniune OEM, it was avail. locally, AND it was only $27! How lucky is that?

Maybe there is something to eating beans on New Year's Day?

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Re: How I felt too!

Not only was it a simple repair, but the part was geniune OEM, it was avail. locally, AND it was only $27! How lucky is that?

Maybe there is something to eating beans on New Year's Day?

Simple and cheap is the best. Wonder how much the dealer would have charged for that.

Decades ago now, I learned to be a dedicated DIY'er to head-off such questions. The dividends paid over time and compounded have been a wise investment indeed.

Cheers!

UPDATE:

Went to my indy's to use his Volvo diagnostic tester and discovered a recent CEL was due to an "intermittent" ECT signal (fortunately). Past posts have indicated rather intractable problems with gross EVAP leaks and more recently, mis-fires.

I cleared the code and within 40 yrds of driving off, the CEL was back on! Unable to go back due to time restraints, I pressed on with the schedule.

The next day I discovered the female end of the connector (3mm ID, bullet style)was in bad shape. The connector shell was OK, but inside the rubber/silicone surrounding each female connector had completely separated and was badly deteriorated. I reached in with straight forceps and pulled each connector out.

I noticed the tiny stranded, untinned connecting wire was completely green with oxidation on both. I have bullet style female connectors, but none that are 3mm ID. I do have Teflon, tinned, stranded wire though, which I'll use for a replacement.

While used connectors are probably plentiful in a junkyard, where would I get a new one?

I cleaned it up with a tiny, conical brush and some DeOxit, put it back together for another day and hoped my efforts had helped.

I'd disconnected the neg battery cable before I began and leftt it off about 2hrs total. Was hoping this would 'reset' the ECU, clear the code and save me a trip.

It worked!

The sled needs some parts + the timing belt is due! The t-stat has been in there now for about 5yrs + the gasket is cracked, leading to a small coolant leak. Therefore a new one will be added to the list.

????????

That's 336000kms up here in Canadaland. Maybe down in Texas all cars make it up to 1 mill miles, but most owners up here abandon their cars earlier due failures caused by the elements FAR earlier.

I bet you Yankees don't even know what a block heater is for, do ya!?

UPDATE:

The next day I discovered the female end of the connector (3mm ID, bullet style)was in bad shape. The connector shell was OK, but inside the rubber/silicone surrounding each female connector had completely separated and was badly deteriorated. I reached in with straight forceps and pulled each connector out.

I noticed the tiny stranded, untinned connecting wire was completely green with oxidation on both. I have bullet style female connectors, but none that are 3mm ID. I do have Teflon, tinned, stranded wire though, which I'll use for a replacement.

While used connectors are probably plentiful in a junkyard, where would I get a new one?

I cleaned it up with a tiny, conical brush and some DeOxit, put it back together for another day and hoped my efforts had helped.

I'd disconnected the neg battery cable before I began and leftt it off about 2hrs total. Was hoping this would 'reset' the ECU, clear the code and save me a trip.

It worked!

this makes me think a pre-emptive ploy of working electrical grease into all volvo connectors might not be a bad idea. It's not unusual to read of mystery stalls, ECU, warnings, and other issues being traced back to a bad connection for the signal wire on the CAN bus, or other signal. These cars seem to rely heavily on delicate signals from bumper to bumper.

????????
That's 336000kms up here in Canadaland. Maybe down in Texas all cars make it up to 1 mill miles, but most owners up here abandon their cars earlier due failures caused by the elements FAR earlier.

I bet you Yankees don't even know what a block heater is for, do ya!?
Yeah, but I don't live in Canadaland. Furthermore, (very) few people do. Tough sledding, eh?

"1 million miles"??? Far, more newer cars on the road these days, despite them being much better built than previously.

This TEXAN knows what a block heater is. Down here we call that SUMMER. Our only other season is JANUARY. Currently it's 59°F out. The solar heat index is 69°F. Looks like we won't have JANUARY this year.....

I'm not a Yank, but there sure are a lot of them moving here from New England, Conn., NY, Ohio, Mass., Illinois, etc. You see them melted on the sidewalk because they didn't previously know the definition of SUMMER in Tx! Poor things...

Don't freeze your [censored] off up there!

Originally Posted By: meep
this makes me think a pre-emptive ploy of working electrical grease into all volvo connectors might not be a bad idea. It's not unusual to read of mystery stalls, ECU, warnings, and other issues being traced back to a bad connection for the signal wire on the CAN bus, or other signal. These cars seem to rely heavily on delicate signals from bumper to bumper.

I guess tinned wire is too expensive for wiring harnesses? Fortunately, the sled hasn't been plagued with wiring nightmares nor weirdness. Save for the ABS controller, & P0455 GROSS Evap. troubles. Not uncommon at all on '98's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back