Back w another question...motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Later this year I'm looking into purchasing a big toy item as in a good 24 or 22 footer bay boat.

My question is on motors the hull of the two boats in mind are 1700lbs with a 58gal tank and the 24' is 2200lbshas roughly a 70s gallon fuel tank. Like someone that is a charter captain that I recently went out on with some relatives he said these words of wisdom about motors... If you can afford a bigger motor as in Hp go for it as you will be more satisfied with too much hp than too little when you need it as you wish you had more to get out of hairy situations as weather or fishing tournaments.

So with both boats I'm looking at the 225 hp but at least the 200hp for the 22footer. The two engines of choice if not three engines is the Yamaha line. The 4.3 offshore, the 3.3, or the pretty cool features of the Vsho 225.

The transom I think is the 25" so since the Vsho was originally just a 20" but now I think a 25" which motor would be your preference if you could choose any of the three for either boat. The 24 is rated at 300hp. The 22' is rated at 250hp.

I like the hole shot capability of what the Vsho has to offer as well as the low end torque but I'm just asking about the hypothetical.

The engines from doing a little researching are roughly $19,000 to 21,000.

The boats in mind that are pretty much set in stone as in choices are the Bluewave Pure Bay series as I really like the features of both as well as storage space.

So it's the 225 or 200 offshore, the 3.3 4cyl, or the Vsho 225???

Btw the offshore and 3.3?? have dual water pickups, but the Vsho does not.

Thanks on the advice you wiser than me fellas. This boat might just be in my garage or back yard come this coming Fall or end of summer. I am really hoping. Nothing beats the freedom of fishing on a nice size fishing boat with friends and family, am I right?

Thanks.

I'd get the 24' model with a 300 HP motor myself. The Offshore engine model weighs more and has a proven reliability track record. The Vsho motors are lighter at the cost of ultimate durability which probably won't matter for most in the long run.

Thanks. I was loving the 24' far more when I looked it over in person a few months ago.

I have heard a 300 offshore run on a 24' seahunt and darn that motor pushed that boat flawlessly. VERY quiet as well. As that motor and the 250 on the charter I went on the other weekend barely had any sound at idling and moving slowly.

I agree that I have heard the 300s are better efficient of a motor somehow but the big problem is how darn expensive it will jump the price of the boat. So with that said..... Would I just be very pleased and happier to go with the 300offshore 4.3 engine?

What's the motor alone generally cost?

I would look at the 22 ft with a 250 Yamaha sho. All SHOs now available with 25" shaft. Add a good hydro jackplate... things happen in a boat on a large body of water... you will never look at your family and say..."thank god I got the smaller engine"
How about Verado?? A 250 vrod would be fun...
250ho etec G2...
I like the steering and control features of the vrod and g2 motors...
Then of course the optimax... my favorite...

I also like the smart craft gauge option that merc offers... evirude offers a similar deal... these make regular gauges on a boat obsolete... if my life every turns around and I could order a new tuffy, I would order it with nothing but a fuel gauge...
Not sure if Yamaha or Suzuki offer the same gauge option... can also link motor function to electronics...
The boat and motor combo you select will come down to finding the correct prop for your use... try not to listen to dock talk... a dealer should let you test props till you find the right one... ALOT of prop options out there... 3 4 and even 5 blade... also a lot of brands...
I rode in bunch of 250 SHOs the last few years and some were not propped good at all...
The cost difference between a 22ft/250hp boat vs 24ft/300hp. Boat is big. Gotta sit down and look at what you will be doing with it... storing, docking, trailering are all factors...
Do your research ahead of time, know what you want, dealer just sees you as a $$$$$ walking in...
Keep us up to date...
Don't forget jackplate, power poles and electronics!!!

Evinrudes generally make these boats higher prices on these boats than the yamahas.

The 225 or the 250 wld be the motor hp of choice for the 22footer. If the price is right the 300 Yamaha wld be what I would probably end up being talked into for the 24'. Am I right that the 300 Yamaha uses all electronic controls? Wireless/cable less? Is that worth having the 300 on the 24'?

The hulls are strong and the stringer system is what makes them that. Plus they are fast boats. I'll appreaciate getting to fishing spots with the 50+ mph when needed.

Thanks Tuffy on that response.

Yeah I have figured ballpark which electronics. As for trolling motors that charter I did with some family the guide said the reason hecwentbwith motorguide's ti5 I believe is the name is because with Munn Kota you get one gps sonar. In theirs you have two so they are bouncing off signals from satellites so you are for certain on the exact place you want to try to be.

As for power poles. yeah I'll be purchasing one either with deal with dealer or adding through another installer.

Storing is not a problem and I don't think I will ever keep it in the water at a marina if I don't have to. Boat storage is abundant down here and with trailering it less than 20miles from home to water is the common distance towing it. Plus it's flat terrain so less stress going up and down hills.

Minn kota trolling motor the same... both offer build in GPS stuff with the motor drive motors... terrova/I pilot on the minn kota models... the charter guy was talk in nonsense... when a guide takes your money for a day, they can really lay it down thick...
You may want to take a test ride in boats with all the motor options... you could save some $$$ with the 4 stroke and end up with a dog out of the hole... dealer can push the package deals really hard...
I find it amazing sometimes that guys go into a car dealer loaded with research and info and go buy a boat and look like homer Simpson...
Also a lot of bay boats out there... a lot!!
Trolling motor and electronics you can do your self... prices way cheaper if you buy them yourself... WAY CHEAPER!!! Power pole also... get the chance to rig the boat the way you want it, not by some dealer who is only looking to make his child support payments...
I bought my tuffy just boat/motor/trailer... rigged everything myself... saved a considerable amount...
As far as the 2 stroke/4 stroke comparison... I have rode in a lot of boats with big 4 strokes.... including a bunch of SHO 250s... less than impressed... guys been using optimax and etec on bay boats for years... I have owned both and gotta say they are amazing...

Yeah, all the extras like the electronics and trolling motor I might just know of a connection that isn't a dealer to install them. The power pole installation I can get done somewhere besides the dealer as well.

Yamaha and Mercury rule the waters down here.

To your bay boat statement. $$$$$ is the difference in which makes a good, better, and great to bad [censored] boats.

I'm just liking the features of this boat. The other three in mind would be a Sportsman, yellowfin or Pathfinder. But those are super pricey.

So a BlueWave is really good boat for the price tag. They have two dealer locations and if the merc engine is priced better I would get one of them instead of the much leaning toward Yamaha.

The pathfinder 26 and 23 HPS would be cool if they weren't so darn expensive.

That's about it for now...

I checked out the blue wave boats... pterry nice... small company... basic construction... not a lot of bells and whistles... look good... I like the layout...
22 ft with a 250 would be pretty good... difference with a regular Yamaha 250 vs the SHO would be $$$$ and a little better performance... that would all come from the HP lower unit... the regular 250 Yamaha has been solid for many years and would be a good choice... If you can, look at the optimax though...
A good prop will make all the difference... hydro jackplate too... plan ahead with the jackplate and get a power pole plate... makes install a snap... power pole easy todo at home... aa lot guys get 2... and the drift paddles... wow... do they work!!!
A nice flushmount GPS would be good... sonar get what whatever... get a decent one at cabelas bargain cave...
Gotta get a stereo and some led lights for late night booby time...

I like the bobs machine shop jackplate... comes in colors... can match boat and power poles... or contrast for a better look...
I have always rolled with minn kota... terrova with I pilot looks amazing... lots of video on it... I also used the minn kota puck style removable trolling motor bracket... very handy and made installing a lot easier... lockable...
I had great luck with optima blue top batteries... great deal on them at AAP.
Money saved on trolling motor and batteries alone would pay for 5 dockside meals for the family...

Thanks.

Do some people just get the 4cylinder 3.3 over the 4.3 250hp or is it just personal preference and the cost?

Ohhhh. I remembered something. I've seen online that people say that the Vsho engines tend to fail after so many hours? Is it because the other Yamaha engines have two water inlet pickups vs the one that the Sho engine just has the one?

Sometime soon I'll run by a dealer and ask what the price difference with the hp I want would be for the four engines. 3.3 , 4.3 , 4.3 sho and then the Mercury optimax. Mercurys are almost hand in hand with the yammy's possibly.

The jack plate is a definite because the bluewave purebay boats can't mount a motor otherwise. Atlas wld be my pick. Tho if it has a seastar, I believe, I'll have them switch it out.

Tuffy which sonar/electronics do you have on your boat and how much do you like it for your interests?

Tuffy those verados if priced right for when I get the boat I'll get one if it's priced right. They're smaller displacement but SUPERCHARGED!

Last edited:
Verado is pricey....
Electronics... I would start with a stand alone GPS mapping unit... could be flush mounted in the dash...
Sonar... up to you... get a lot done with a cheaper unit... up front make sure you get trolling motor with built in transducer...
I do not like the combo GPS/sonar units... split screen or switching between screens never flew good for me... I had an HDS 8 lowrance and not user friendly... the more you pay for electronics the more user input required...
Check out tackle warehouse and cabelas for electronics on sale...
If SHOs failed on a regular basis then I would here about it thru bass tourneys... havenot heard much they do need a big battery and good gas... also think they are over propped at times for top speed and that does not help... also lots of trailering onbumpy roads cacan't be good...
In the end the horsepower is the same at the prop... only difference is how it gets there... I will check out Yamaha website tonight and help you spend your money...
Go hawks...

Let me stir the pot.... let's throw the Honda 250 in the mix... not sure about $$$ but I see a lot of big Hondas on the st Lawrence river... most pushing Grady whites.
There is a bunch of saltwater boating websites out there... lots of great info... better than some iced in guy in upstate NY.
Sounds like it will be a great rig... keep us up to date.

Motors do not fail due to water intakes... if they get overheated the alarm will go off...some will shut down... or go into safe mode. Dealers will be quick to blame bad gas 99% of time... standard answer when they have no idea... I probably should start a thread on blown power heads sometime...

Bassboatcentral is great place for V6 outboard info...
The hull truth is a huge site with tons of info... great message boards. I have had many questions answered there very quick...
These boards along with bob will keep you informed and help you thru the perils of boating...

The 3.3 liter 250 should be perfect...

Isn't the 3.3 the four cylinder?

Wouldn't I want the power of the 6 to push nearly 3,000lbs?

Never heard of the bassboatcentral but I have gotten links when doing seatches that refer to the hull truth... Great info.

Last edited:
Bassboatcentral.com is a site with many message boards, some by brand of outboard... any questions you need answered will get a quick response... great place to buy and sell stuff too.
The hull truth is a really big site with lottsa people on every day... seems to lean towards saltwater boating and fishing. A lot of electronics info and vendors...
Besides me, these sites should answer any questions...
It always amazed me that guys can do research and goto a car dealer prepared and save money... then they goto a boat dealer and completely forget how to think...
From what I have seen more boat dealers goto jail than car dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back