Garage door PB Blaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wheels on my garage door had a bad case of the squeaks. I gave them a shot of PB Blaster and they run very quietly now. This stuff has a strong odor and it took several days to dissipate in the garage.

Blaster works but is a very light lube. Don't expect it to last long...

Best is some spray grease, comes out foamy liquid and hardens up to stay put...

You aren't supposed to grease the wheels at all.

Only if you have the exposed ball bearing type and there is much better stuff for that.

Unfortunately mine has the cheapo all plastic bushing type.

I just live with the squeaks.. maybe I'll pay up and replace them all with sealed bearing rollers.

Personally, I like the squeaking, extra security measure. Same with all the doors in my house other than the one to my son's room.

If lubing, I recommend spray white lithium or dry graphite.

Is that the silicone stuff?

The only stuff I've ever heard you should use on overhead door hardware is silicone spray lube.

PB Blaster makes a special lube for garage doors that smells completely different.

That regular PB Blaster that they call a "Catalyst" I won't use. That stuff is loaded with acid and stings if you get it on your skin; not to mention the horrible smell.

No problems when I use WD40, spray the wheels and tracks, nice and quiet.
11.gif

Graphite or wax (rubbing a candle, or the stuff you can get at a machinists' supply in a little tub) works best.

Oils or anything viscous enough to work in a spray bottle tend to either gather dust / grit, or get thick as temperatures fall and make the assembly difficult to move. Some attack plastics, or remove the plasticizers from plastics, making them brittle, just the last step away from failure.

Some sprayable lubricants do work fine if you have a narrow minimum / maximum temperature range (and all-metal assemblies) where you live, but otherwise not the ideal choice; graphite and wax still work fine under that circumstance though.

Both are ridiculously cheap.

Yup, I used the horrible smelling one and the wheels look like they have ball bearings. Don't know how long it will last. Maybe next time I'll use some motor oil.

It boils down to -- anything is better than nothing, I generally use turbine oil... You're not supposed to grease tracks as in very cold weather it creates extra drag, plus retains dirt...

If you have a garage door opener and the rollers are dry, it can trigger false reverses(or stops in opening mode) as there is motor RPM circuit in head that senses speed... Enough variance in motor speed will be is same to controller as door jamming or hitting something...

Originally Posted By: redbone3
Wheels on my garage door had a bad case of the squeaks. I gave them a shot of PB Blaster and they run very quietly now. This stuff has a strong odor and it took several days to dissipate in the garage.

Hi, yes, I like the Blaster product as well. It stinks but it is a very good spray penetrating oil. The can goes fast, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back