Sludged Mileguard MO3506 After Engine Flush *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took this filter off a customer's truck. It was a mid 2000s Chevy V8 work truck, and it was the typical abused, neglected, unloved work truck everyone has seen before. The customer said it had seen many unintended extended OCIs and was sludgy on the inside. He wanted to clean it up, so he added a bottle of Rislone engine flush at the START of the OCI with Formula Shell 5w-30, and ran it the ENTIRE 2-5k mile OCI! We recommended to the customer several short 500-1000 mile OCIs to clean up the remaining sludge and to stick with a quality synthetic to do cleaning instead of what he had just done.

The Mileguard is a white Extraguard sold to quicklube shops as the bulk bargain filter. E core, paper end caps, etc. In this case, none of that even matters.

This is the video I made of the cut. It was too grizzly to just take photos.
smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhgfa9KZtM

IMG_20141217_195227782.jpg

IMG_20141217_195148919.jpg

IMG_20141217_195143013.jpg

IMG_20141217_194957278.jpg

IMG_20141217_194953208.jpg

IMG_20141217_195157362.jpg

IMG_20141217_195009544.jpg

IMG_20141217_195110390.jpg

IMG_20141217_195043036.jpg

Holy guacamole! You're right, it really doesn't matter what filter that is, since the only thing that is really visible from the pictures is that it is an ecore. Either that, or you made a chocolate cake in the shape of an oil filter and slathered it with runny frosting, and made a mess of the bench while doing so.

Wow, I'm surprised it survived. The customer screwed up running the Rislone as long as he did, good thing you suggested shorter OCI's for that mess. I guess he didn't want to pay for a pan drop, and valve cover removal and manual clean up, which would have been the better way to tackle that horror show. Thanks for posting the pics!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Wow, I'm surprised it survived. The customer screwed up running the Rislone as long as he did, good thing you suggested shorter OCI's for that mess. I guess he didn't want to pay for a pan drop, and valve cover removal and manual clean up, which would have been the better way to tackle that horror show. Thanks for posting the pics!

Thanks.
smile.gif
You're welcome for posting the pics. I'm a new member, so I posted these pics and the video, an engine air filter, a cabin air filter, and a valvetrain pic to break the ice and introduce myself.

I had never seen sludge so bad in my entire life until I finished the oil change on that truck. Scarred for LIFE.

Thanks for the shots of that filter. Now I'll have nightmares! !

That video shows you the best bang-for-the-buck nitrile glove expenditure in history. Kira

Couldn't watch the video here. Did the customer see the opened filter/drain. What was their reaction? Did they decide on a better plan of action?

And people think that a little bit of piston slap is some sort of a fatal issue with these engines... They seem to be a little tougher than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back