Mobil 1 M1-101 5000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
This came off my S/C 3800 Grand Prix. Right at 70,000 miles.
5000 miles on this filter with Mobil 1 10W-30
There is some residue from me cutting it up and you can see some glue on the pleats.
IMG_3887.jpg

IMG_3888.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

I think it's great. I'm getting ready to do a change on my Buick and might grab the oil special at Meijer which includes a M1 jug+M1 filter for something like $34. I think I'll get the up size filter though Cuz I'll run it 15k miles

Now that your car is finally broken in you can start driving at speeds exceeding 50 miles per hour and maintain constant speeds when cruising down the freeway.

From just viewing your filter, IMO you could easily go 7500 miles (and possibly more), especially with M-1 10-30 oil.

Why are you going only 5000 OCI's??? IMO, its a waste of good oil, $$$, and time.

Because the car is modified and the last analysis it was done about 6000. So 5000 is it.

Smaller supercharger pulley, exhaust work, colder plugs, colder T-stat, dyno tune, after market larger rocker arms (more lift), CAI and some track time on this oil.

Champ's glue machine must be broken. I used the $5 off $10 at O'Reilly's today to buy three more ACDelco PF52 Classics. Looking down the center tube, and looking at the bottom of the spring that holds it together, the whole spring was covered with glue. The other two filters looked good. Going to take it back tomorrow, and do an exchange.

The filter that has too much glue was manufactured on July 8, 2015. Don't think the glue will hurt anything, but I am exchanging it anyway.

Thanks for cutting and posting. The filter looks great with a lot of evenly spread pleats.

The only problem is the cost of M1 filter is a little high, more than the excellent Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Champ's glue machine must be broken. I used the $5 off $10 at O'Reilly's today to buy three more ACDelco PF52 Classics. Looking down the center tube, and looking at the bottom of the spring that holds it together, the whole spring was covered with glue. The other two filters looked good. Going to take it back tomorrow, and do an exchange.

The filter that has too much glue was manufactured on July 8, 2015. Don't think the glue will hurt anything, but I am exchanging it anyway.

Anyone know how the glue application is delivered? I take it they use 55 gallon drums of the stuff, press the glue out under heat and pressure, I assume it's reactive melt like Techno Melt? The problem is if the glue gets heat saturated at the end of a drum, the hotter it is the more comes out.

This might be a quality issue, is Champ Labs verifying samples, correctly or at all?

That is a lot of "squeeze", it MIGHT be within spec, but if I was a operator on the line, I would say something, since your using 2x the glue per product, that glue is NOT cheap.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Thanks for cutting and posting. The filter looks great with a lot of evenly spread pleats.

The only problem is the cost of M1 filter is a little high, more than the excellent Fram Ultra.

Yeah they are pricey. I usually use a Bosch or AC Delco. Got this one at Autozone with one of the oil change deals 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter for like 34 bucks.

Looks good. I've used the over-sized 201s on my 3800 Series II and I'm very impressed with the filters. I got mine on clearance for around $3 each, if I remember right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back