Fram Ultra (XG) oil filters (any reviews?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Motorking, the Fram tech person, said something about the steel end caps are needed to secure the stainless steel screen. It isn't just steel mesh, stainless is much better. There are pictures of the Ultra with the element debonding from a composite end cap on a cartridge filter. Whether that is common or a fluke who knows. I definitely am sold on them for my cars I maintain, until I find a reason not to be sold on them. There are other good filters, but not for the price,features and design I don't think.

Yep the cartridges don't hold up as well as the spin on because they don't have this deep well of adhesive.

On a side note I never have issues with the ecotech Ultras I use in my friends cobalt for two OLM runs per filter. I'm going to be posting the pics of that second run soon whenever we change the oil, it's been at 0% all month on this second OcI

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
Change your own oil.
To heck with fram, go buy a motorcraft or a Wix.

The Fram Ultra is superior to anything either of those manufactures makes, but whatever right?

Fram Ultra ?

Never heard of it.

Is that anything like Charmin Ultra Soft ?

51ZKGEc4KDL._SY300_.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Fram Ultra ?

Never heard of it.

51ZKGEc4KDL._SY300_.jpg

4 filter pack.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I just took off an XG2 from my 2002 4.6L (3K miles on VWB), the first time I've used one on it. Prior to this it was PP1, Fram EG/TG, or MC FL820S. Quite surprised at how heavy the filter is 24 hrs after draining. It weighs 2X to 3X what a new one does. Yet the PP1 from the previous oil change is as light as a new one. I'll get any remaining oil out of this XG2 in the June summer sun and then see how much material it's holding. Maybe my 4.6L has been circulating a lot of particles than those other filters wouldn't take out. I'm glad I didn't try to go a 2nd OCI on this XG2 filter.
Did you actually weigh it before and after?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Here is one I cut open myself they are always build like a tank when I cut them open.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3766530/Fram_Ultra_3980_cut_open_13k+_

If Cardboard end caps are so good, why aren't they used on this filter?
AFAIK, no large diesel Fram Extra Guards use fiber end caps, that's only on smaller gas/passenger car applications. The Fram PH3976A for the Cummins 5.9 has metal endcaps.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Fram Ultra ?

Never heard of it.

51ZKGEc4KDL._SY300_.jpg

Merk, those are only to be used on BYPASS filters, not spin-on! We've discussed this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back