Am I owed a refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I bought a new vehicle last month in an adjoining state (NJ).
I went to the dealer that gave me the best price via TRUEcar which was about an hour from my home.
They kept to the quoted price but charged me $365 for "Registration/Title Fee (Estimated)".

When my NYS registration arrived it states that it cost $180.

There was also a $399 Documentary Fee which broke down as follows:
EDP Processing $99
Clerical Expense $175
Document Delivery Service $125.

It does state on the back of the Bill of Sale that 'the dealer will refund any overcharge" of the Registration/Title Fee.

I think I am owed $185 but the salesman says otherwise (I haven't talked to anybody above him yet)

What do you guys think?

PS: It seems like a lot of added expense for doing what they are supposed to do?

They tack on all sorts of things. Without seeing the actual documents, you seem correct.

I would make copies, highlight the important sections, and go talk to the sales manager to get your $$ back - especially since it was "estimated".

Of course they may try to baffle you with numerous calculations and justifications to try to worm out of it; or they could refreshingly cut you a check.

If you worked them down to close to cost it may be all the profit they make. There should be a "dealer license commission" in your state to contact or the State Attorney General Consumer Division
might just be interested.

The final bill needs to have all expenses and fees clearly spelled out, showing exactly what you're paying for. That avoids any [censored] they may try to pull.

Nothing but pure profit. If they don't have any of your money, get up and walk out. Don't ever give your keys to anybody. You don't even know how you got there or why you are there. "If you have to talk,mumble."

This dealership was $900 less than the next closest quote (for the exact same car)....now I see how they were able to do it.

I still got a very good deal but I don't appreciate the 'smoke and mirrors'.

I will call the dealership after New Year's (giving them a little extra time) and ask how I would be expected to pay $365 when the NYS documents clearly show $180? When they start with the [censored] I'll point out the $399 which should have covered those expenses....

It's really not surprising that car dealer's are held in such contempt....

Originally Posted By: pbm
I bought a new vehicle last month in an adjoining state (NJ).
I went to the dealer that gave me the best price via TRUEcar which was about an hour from my home.
They kept to the quoted price but charged me $365 for "Registration/Title Fee (Estimated)".

When my NYS registration arrived it states that it cost $180.

There was also a $399 Documentary Fee which broke down as follows:
EDP Processing $99
Clerical Expense $175
Document Delivery Service $125.

It does state on the back of the Bill of Sale that 'the dealer will refund any overcharge" of the Registration/Title Fee.

I think I am owed $185 but the salesman says otherwise (I haven't talked to anybody above him yet)

What do you guys think?

PS: It seems like a lot of added expense for doing what they are supposed to do?

They charged you $365 for title/registration.
The registration cost $180.
The difference is indeed $185.
BUT - did the dealer also pay the title fee? How much is the NYS title fee? In most states, the title fee is separate from the registration fee.

They may owe you a refund but I don't think it is $185. I think it is $185 minus the title fee.

I think the the bi-state here is able to issue registrations for each other. Barring that, why would you pay for something that you have to do yourself?

I bought a car in NH a while back and paid exactly zero dollars for registration, since I had to do it myself after the sale.

I wouldn't talk to anyone below the general manager on this and 'no' isn't a valid answer.

I had a very similar case. I used True Car this year to buy my Subaru in FL, instead of my home state of NC. FL dealer estimated title/registration costs at time of sale (Saturday), not knowing exactly what NC would charge. Later they sent me a refund for the overestimated amount, without me asking. Your dealer owes you $185.

My dealer sent me a check for the refund without prompting. Some dealers are honest.

I don't understand the truecar business model. One of the dealers I shopped pulled up truecar and they'd sell me the car their price but another dealer was $1000 under.

Thanks Guys....I put the GVW, county of residence etc.. into the NYS DMV fee calculator and it came up with $180...I can't tell if that includes the 'title' issuance fee (but I would guess it does).

I plan on stopping at the DMV office next week to verify that $180. was the total cost....after that I will contact the dealership manager.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
title insurance???

Title issuance not insurance....In other words I'm not sure if there is an additional fee for issuing a title (but I would strongly suspect there is not).

Look at it this way you still saved $720 for a two hour drive. $360 an hour is not a waste of time.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Look at it this way you still saved $720 for a two hour drive. $360 an hour is not a waste of time.

I agree ....but.... I'd prefer less 'smoke and mirrors'.

I looked at the B-O-S for my 2014 and there was no $399 charge. They also mailed back the overcharge on the registration/title (it was less since I transferred plates from another car).

I can't complain about the overall price for the vehicle which was still well below sticker but it wasn't as good a deal as promised on TRUECAR....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back