Macau Grand Prix onboard video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any tracks where bikes run the same course as the cars ? If so I wonder how lap times compare ?

Bike guys got a crazy death wish going
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Are there any tracks where bikes run the same course as the cars ? If so I wonder how lap times compare ?

shocked.gif

Yes, there are tracks where bikes and cars run. As to which is quicker around the track, it depends on which class of bike and car we're talking about.

The bikes in this video are based on production bikes. Even if they are in full Superbike Spec., they are still slower than a MotoGP bike.

If we're talking stock production Sportbikes and Sportscars, say at Willow Springs. The stock production Sportbikes lap quicker than the stock production Sportscars. Assuming a skilled rider and driver.

The top class of Roadracing bike is the MotoGP bike.

The top class of Roadracing car is the Formula 1 car.

The F1 car easily laps a given course much quicker, mainly because of it's advantage on turns, due to having far more rubber on the road for a given weight, and it also generates downforce.

I know a few Professional Motorcycle Roadracers. None of them has a death wish. What they have is a fear of not living life to it's fullest.

Here's a quote from one Professional Motorcycle Roadracer whom I admired:

Quote:
Those who risk nothing, do nothing. Achieve nothing, become nothing.

Allan David Jefferies.

Originally Posted By: FastGame

shocked.gif

I'd think most of the guys ride a course like that a bit more cautiously than one with lots of run off.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
Circuit of the Americas here in austin texas had both F1 and MotoGP.

Yep, and the F1 lap record is quicker than the MotoGP lap record by over 20 seconds.

On a track that's all turns, maybe even a lowly formula mazda could beat a motogp bike. But on any amount of straight, the motogp bike would make most cars look like they are stopped.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
On a track that's all turns, maybe even a lowly formula mazda could beat a motogp bike. But on any amount of straight, the motogp bike would make most cars look like they are stopped.

Just to throw some numbers into this, I looked at the results from 2015 at the Sachsenring in Germany, known as one of the slowest MotoGP circuits:

Fastest lap in the 2015 race was 1:21.530.

Then I looked at some car race fastest laps at the same track (different dates, so weather could influence):

GT Masters - 1:21.731 (BMW Z4 GT3)
ADAC Formel 4 - 1:20.690
ProCar - 1:33.151 (MINI JCW)
Trofeo Abarth - 1:34.149 (Abarth 500)
Special Touren Wagen - 1:23.256 (Audi A4 DTM)
VW Golf Cup - 1:34.479 (VW Golf GTi)

So the Formula 4 car, which is an open-wheel, single-seat car with aero, can beat the MotoGP bike over one lap. Even the GT3 car won't be far behind.

MotoGp is awesome. It makes car racing so blah. But I like motorcycles of any kind.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: sunruh
Circuit of the Americas here in austin texas had both F1 and MotoGP.

Yep, and the F1 lap record is quicker than the MotoGP lap record by over 20 seconds.
F1 cars are crazy fast.

Nice drifts. People side drift since the Fast Freddy, Wayne Rainey times, but now, you see the smoke. The bikes are in excess of what, 280-300hp?

Last edited:
I would guess the bikes have an easier to control power band over the 2 strokes and the frames, suspension and tires are so much better.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Nice drifts. People side drift since the Fast Freddy, Wayne Rainey times, but now, you see the smoke. The bikes are in excess of what, 280-300hp?
you may enjoy this video about the 500 cc road racers link .

Originally Posted By: Pontual

The official claim is in the 240 hp range.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I would guess the bikes have an easier to control power band over the 2 strokes and the frames, suspension and tires are so much better.

They are heavily laden with electronics which control the traction control, wheelie control, fuel management, and the suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back