Fram PH16 cut open 5000KM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

Date code A51531 This was on my van for 6 months. There is a tear where I punched the first hole in the can. See the orange paint flakes. I used a can opener off camping tool. Otherwise everything else is ok. ADBV was still flexible.

The tear in the media.

Spring/bypass valve side

ADBV side

For around the same price you could have used a quality Wix.. That filter looks scary for around 3100 miles.. WOW and someone thinks it actually looks good?? Oh boy! It looks like a cardboard notebook left out in the rain!

In my opinion Fram builds one good filter and that is the Ultra... Pictures don't lie.

Wix filters increased in price here lately. I was buying 51515s for $5.90 and now they're $7. Still, better than the everyday price of a orange can of $7.50 at Canadian Tire or Walmart.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Hopefully mine looks as good as yours. Im about halfway through my 5k OCI.

Thanks for posting.

You should have no problems.

I have never really cared for the Extra Guards, not necessarily for the price, but because there is not enough media in the canister. Call me an elitist, but I prefer the security of wire backed media and for me that means only the Fram ultra.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
For around the same price you could have used a quality Wix.. That filter looks scary for around 3100 miles.. WOW and someone thinks it actually looks good?? Oh boy! It looks like a cardboard notebook left out in the rain!

In my opinion Fram builds one good filter and that is the Ultra... Pictures don't lie.
That's the Framboy's idea of a "good looking filter"? ROFL.

I was leery of the Fram ultra in the beginning but i agree with you that the fram ultra is a good filter. It goes to prove Fram can make a good filter if they want.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

That said, if this was a Purolator you'd probably be jumping for joy it at least didn't tear.
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:

That said, if this was a Purolator you'd probably be jumping for joy it at least didn't tear.
crackmeup2.gif

He'd still be happy if it was a torn Purolator. LoL

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

crackmeup2.gif

He'd still be happy if it was a torn Purolator. LoL
very true

More likely a Puro fanboy's dream come true if theirs ever looked this good.

Last edited:
That filter does not look reassuring at all. It's like that filter is engineered on the edge of catastrophe.

An oil filter is designed to filter oil, not win a beauty contest. The Fram looked like it did its job.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I have never really cared for the Extra Guards, not necessarily for the price, but because there is not enough media in the canister. Call me an elitist, but I prefer the security of wire backed media and for me that means only the Fram ultra.

Is the Wix on your PSD have wire backed media?

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Wix filters increased in price here lately. I was buying 51515s for $5.90 and now they're $7. Still, better than the everyday price of a orange can of $7.50 at Canadian Tire or Walmart.

Then buy from Rockauto.

That Fram is a real POS!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Farmer

Then buy from Rockauto.

That Fram is a real POS!

That Fram did its job, it filtered oil. I find it funny that people hate on Fram orange oil filters when there are millions of them on the road filtering oil.

Has there ever been a documented case where using a Fram caused an engine to fail. I know some of the first e-core filters had their plastic cage collapse and cause some engine damage, but have never heard of a case about a Fram oil filter.

Originally Posted By: stchman

That Fram did its job, it filtered oil. I find it funny that people hate on Fram orange oil filters when there are millions of them on the road filtering oil.

Has there ever been a documented case where using a Fram caused an engine to fail. I know some of the first e-core filters had their plastic cage collapse and cause some engine damage, but have never heard of a case about a Fram oil filter.

And everyone hates on Purolator and there are millions of them on the road filtering oil (except the amount that leaks through the tear!) and there isn't one documented case of an engine failure there either.

It's obvious the orange can and TG were designed to be built as cheaply as possible. I'd run one (along with a Puro) if it came with an oil change special but I would never choose one if the option for a Wix was there. The Ultra is a great filter, and we'll see how the newly redesigned Puros hold up, but there is no defending an orange can or E-core.

Imperfect pleat geometry, Lack of filter media, thin metal housing, primitive bypass valve dropped in the bottom of the canister, not integrated with the filter. . . This is the K-Mart of oil filters as far as quality goes.

The fact that its dirty does not mean it did its job. Did the by-pass valve open when it should? Did it stick open? did the anti-drain back valve hold back oil with the primitive seal? We don't know...Why anyone would use one is beyond me.

Last edited:
"Imperfect pleat geometry,"
Many filters have impefect pleat geometry. Most important thing is the media is strong and doesn't tear or blow-out.

"Lack of filter media,"
Can't really say much about that without actually measuring the media's total area. Even though some filters might not have as many pleats as another, their pleats are deeper which helps bump up the total area.

"Thin metal housing,"

If you measured the can thickness of many filters, you'll find they are all within a thousandth of an inch of each other. Never seen one filter yet regardless of brand have a can failure reported here.

"Primitive bypass valve dropped in the bottom of the canister, not integrated with the filter."
It's configured just like 95%+ of the oil filters on the market. I think Fram's bypass valve is one of the better designs out there. People always think it's "plastic", but it's actually high temperature nylon. And it uses a coil spring with gives good control of the opening pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back