Charity

Status
Not open for further replies.
The assumption here is also that those receiving charity are worthy of it. Many people expect others to gave them things that they are able to obtain themselves...choosing charity instead. They feel entitled. While this is not the case in the majority of situations (I would hope anyway), charity is sometimes wasted on the unworthy. Maybe another unpalatable part of this whole "giving" thing...but it's the truth.

I know of a person (a very close person) that used to be part of a church sponsored Christmas gift buying program for families that were poor. The focus on the program was to provide families with a Christmas that they were unable to have. This person I knew would often spend sometimes hundreds of dollars to do the good deed. One particular Christmas a small disadvantaged family was late in asking the church for help. My friend decided to take up the task of helping them even if it was two days before Christmas, as nobody was willing to step up. A child in this family had asked for a train set and the mother wanted some clothes. My friend went out and immediately searched far and wide for the train he wanted. It was very hard to find at this late date...but she found one and it was over $150. Feeling charitable...my friend purchased it and also got the mother an assortment of clothes she asked for. Well, Christmas morning my friend wrapped the gifts and took them over to the apartment building to give them to the needy family. When the boy opened the present with the train it it...his first words were "This isn't the train I wanted" and he threw it across the room. What did the mother do? Nothing...she was busy opening up her presents of clothes. Not a thank you....not a Merry Christmas from them....only an expectation of something more!

That was the very last time my friend participated in that program. She learned a lot about how some people receiving charity are unthankful and worthless human beings EXPECTING people to carry them because they have had some hard luck...or are just bums.

NHHEMI....this thread didn't go "down the toilet". Why would you say that? Is it because many on here didn't get to feel good about being charitable because I had expressed a valid point about charity? I think you, and others, are upset because you wanted an opportunity to self-congratulate one another on how "giving" you all are.

Maybe just give next time and keep it private? It's like a point and tally score otherwise and unworthy of the cause.

My opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I could care less if someone brags about the charity work they do. At least they do it. I would much rather someone who needs help get it than not and despite your quoted bible verse above I would wager God would feel the same. So if some need a pat on the back to do it then so be it. Better that then those who need help not getting it.

I think you meant, "you couldn't care less".

One thing I did recently was organize a food drive at a non-profit where I volunteer. I ended up delivering a couple of car loads of food and baby items to the county food bank.

Most of the things I do in the name of charity I keep between me and the Almighty.

I think private and quiet donations to those in need are good and no 'sucker's list' to be passed around to other organizations . Often church and community groups know where best to direct $. Maybe not fuss too much about it being documented for a tax deduction

I'm surprised no one else donates directly to the homeless. I mean their aren't going to bite. On occasion, I talk to the local vagrants. Many of them avoid the traditional homeless shelters because they are violent. They feel safer under the viaduct.

I think several on here have indicated cash, goods or services donations directly to the homeless.

I know I said I don't give cash but have purchased countless meals, coats, shoes, clothes, filled gas tanks, etc.

Others have said similar on the thread.

So it wouldn't be true to say NO ONE as several have mentioned they do give such contributions.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I'm surprised no one else donates directly to the homeless. I mean their aren't going to bite. On occasion, I talk to the local vagrants. Many of them avoid the traditional homeless shelters because they are violent. They feel safer under the viaduct.

Who said no one else does ? Just because some of us don't mention it here ? I have several times given food, clothing, blankets and gift cards for fast food establishments that do not serve alcohol directly to homeless individuals. I will not give cash as I don't want it spent on alcohol or drugs. IMO that would not really be "helping" them. Normally I do this in private, only myself and my wife know.

Originally Posted By: PR1955
Who said no one else does ? Just because some of us don't mention it here ? I have several times given food, clothing, blankets and gift cards for fast food establishments that do not serve alcohol directly to homeless individuals. I will not give cash as I don't want it spent on alcohol or drugs. IMO that would not really be "helping" them. Normally I do this in private, only myself and my wife know.

In private??? Why on earth would you do that when you could be hailed as some super "giver" that cares about the homeless??

We should all be asked to list what we do and show our fellow members how charitable we are. It's not about being private you know...it's about letting our peers see that we give...out of only the goodness of out huge hearts.

Ok....I'm done. Ha ha ha...

Originally Posted By: Donald
I give food to the local food pantry year round.

We do as well but we give to the Local Methodist Auxilliary (we are not Methodist BTW) because they have the largest distribution system in the area, better than any other group.

Some people have needs year round, not just at Thanksgiving or at Christmas time.

Last edited:
We donate the kids clothes and equipment as they grow out it, and I have setup a recurring donation to the United Way from each paycheck through work. I should do some more volunteer work, but since the kids have arrived, I got out of the habit.

Why are people so afraid to give them cash? I don't care how they spend the money. If they are out there panhandling 8+ hours a day and need a drink that bad then they deserve the buck or two I give them.

Why are people so afraid to give them cash? I don't care how they spend the money. If they are out there panhandling 8+ hours a day and need a drink that bad then they deserve the buck or two I give them.

Because to be worthy of charity....the person giving it should expect that the money is used for something essential or to help them get OUT of the rut they are in. Otherwise, you are just enabling them to continue to be a leach on society.

Why do you think begging "deserves" compensation? It is so wrapped that you think they "deserve" anything. If they can beg for 8 hours a day (blighting the community), then they can perform a job.

You DO realize that many panhandlers receive more "charity" than a hard working individual making minimum wage at Burger King does? That's a disgrace and the person giving the cash should reconsider what they are doing and that they are slapping in the face the person that has an actual work ethic and integrity.

Last edited:
I think that the old story of the panhandler getting into a nice Cadillac after begging is nonsense. The majority of panhandlers do not make much. Andre, you seem to like to argue. You complain about the original poster bringing up the topic, you complain about how people should donate, ect...

I think that the old story of the panhandler getting into a nice Cadillac after begging is nonsense. The majority of panhandlers do not make much. Andre, you seem to like to argue. You complain about the original poster bringing up the topic, you complain about how people should donate, ect...

Well qwerty, that's a funny comment coming from a guy that appears to cross the grain on this board even more than I do. And just so you know...my girlfriend HAS seen a beggar leave his "post" and walk a block away and get into a car better than the one she drives. News stories, few and far between, have shown this to be the case more than once when local reporters have followed them.

Did I mention a Cadillac? I said some make more than a decent, hard working, minimum wage person with integrity.

I drive past a high volume "beggar" intersection every single day on my way to work. Well meaning, but in my opinion ignorant people, give them money. I've witnessed many $10 and $20 bills being handed to these people. And that's only while I was waiting for the light to turn green. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that in an hour, these professional panhandlers make good money.

What is it with YOU anyway? Every single opinion you have is in direct contrast to reality.

Last edited:
Every Christmastime, I beat up homeless people and take what little they have. I also take cards from those wish trees, to get the little kids' hopes up, then I just throw them away and chuckle to myself as I imagine their disappointment.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Ok, time to see who the "givers" are here.

I'll go first. My wife and I just got back from the homeless shelter near our city. We brought them 3 large bags of clothing, much of it older winter gear. Also gave them 2 grocery bags full of foodstuffs, mostly canned.

We will also sponsor two families through the public school system to assure they get a nice meal this holiday season.\

What did you do?

No offense but giving old clothes is not exactly giving. Its a service that helps both parties. Food I agree is giving if purchased specifically for the purpose.

Glad you give directly to families.

We do a mixture of things but out of pocket in cash not that great. My wife does not make it much outside her work in terms of xmas for a family sponsering. The CNA's and hosuekeeping make putrid wages hr albeit full benefits and barely make ends meet.

I was brought up with the belief that Charity should be anonymous.

If people announce what they do for "Charity", they usually are doing it more for the attention and accolades, rather than out of the true goodness of their heart.

I should also add that I posted my reply above, after only reading the Title of the thread, and the original post.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I was brought up with the belief that Charity should be anonymous.

If people announce what they do for "Charity", they usually are doing it more for the attention and accolades, rather than out of the true goodness of their heart.

Good for you. I 100% completely respect that idea and it's purity of intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back