New Formula for Quaker State Ultimate Durability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicago, Illinois - In a van down by the river!
I was changing my oil over the weekend and using up some stock from last year when I noticed that the formulations seem different now? Before it met the ACEA A5-02 and now it doesn't? Is this a step back in protection? The bottle on the right is from last year and the bottle on the left I just bought at Menards this month.

QSUD side by side

Last edited:
here you go OP

2rmr5e0.jpg

I am not sure what that spec means, but if it still meets the same GM/ Dexos, Ford, Honda and Chrysler specs as well as being API SN, it's good to go.

They're really not supposed to be claiming a 13 year old ACEA spec in the first place.
wink.gif
I don't think there's a step down at all. In fact, outside of us and the people printing the data sheets, probably no one noticed or is even aware.

Thanks dlundblad, couldn't figure out how to post the pic. I figured the QSOD was ok, and I'll continue to use it, since the price is right, but the recommended classification for my KIA Forte5 SX is ACEA A5 or above.

This from the owners manual "Engine oil Turbo GDI engine 4.5 l (4.75 US qt.) ACEA A5 or above"

OR

"For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade 5W-30 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4 / ACEA A5 or above). However, if the engine oil is not available in your
country, select the proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart."

Probably the same formula, as the dexos license numbers are the same. Doesn't a new formulation need a new license?

QSUD has had some labeling SNAFUs in the past with claiming certain ACEA standards. Their 5W-20 used to be claiming the same ACEA A5 that your 5W-30 is showing. They've cleaned that up with bottle labeling lately, but it used to be funny.

See my post from 7 January 2013 in this thread.

Noticed the same thing on the M1 AFE 0w-30 bottles i have. The copyright 2013 bottles have more specs listed than the copyright 2014 bottles. Why you ask? No clue.

Originally Posted By: Shagger
I think since it's still ILSAC-GF5 and API SN, I am in the clear as far as being protected to the ACEA A5 level.

I believe wemay cleared this matter up with the OEM some time ago. While A5/B5 is a more robust specification, they're happy if you got SN/GF-5. Part of the issue, it would seem, is to make sure there is a specification (i.e. A5/B5) that would be useful and recognizable in other parts of the world where an SN/GF-5 lube might not be so recognizable or even available.

Yes Garak, true.
The issue was addressed when i first visited the dealer for one of my "free" oil changes for the 2.0T. They used QSGB 5w30 SN/GF-5. I asked about the specs in the Owners Manual which lists, SM, GF-4, A5. I was advised by two dealerships and subsequently HyundaiUSA that in the U.S., Hyundai, even the turbos, only require SM/GF-4 and nothing else. The ACEA recommendation is for the longer drain intervals of europe, not the 5k mile/6 month max the U.S. designates.

And Hyundai officially recommends Quaker State.

28ur5md.png

Originally Posted By: stower17
I thought it was HT0-06? Did Quaker State REALLY just mislabel their product?

It still shows that spec.

Ive never seen it typed HTO-6. Its officially called HTO-06. Whether or not it needs to be typed the official way idk.

Originally Posted By: stower17
I thought it was HT0-06? Did Quaker State REALLY just mislabel their product?

Unfortunately, lots of oil labels have some bizarre typos on them, and the same goes for their data sheets, and that's for all brands.

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddy345
Stay with M1. QS is substandard oil. M1 has done me good it's the best oil on the market.

And just where did you dig up that tid bit?? Had to be buried a few 1000ft..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back