backup - another 380? or a diff cal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the recent events, I am planning on carrying my newly acquired glock single stack 380.
now the question is, what do I carry as back up? another glock 380?
I am inclined to the glock single stack 9mm, but then I will be carrying 2 different calibers,

decisions decision...
what would you do and why?

I'd go with the 9mm. Recoil is not much different and has more power in a not much bigger package.

If I got a 9mm...i.e. the G43, it would be my primary and the G42 (the .380) would be my backup...

Primary system should be the more capable, with back-up just that: back-up...

But in all honesty, you've chosen some very, very reliable pistols...so the need for a back-up is diminished...

Last edited:
The Ruger LCP is a great carry gun. Small, reliable, easy to conceal. With them being on sale for ~$229 these days, it makes sense.

Don't listen to the "you need something bigger than 380" folks, 380 will do the job.

I have asked folks here in the MI forums and they said no limit on # you can carry, but I will check with local PD.

And to really throw you for a loop I'd recommend a ruger lcr. .38spc does the job and I know if I had to fall back to a backup I'd be shaken up, so something with an easy manual of arms and unshakable reliability would be nice.

OTOH there's having the same manual of arms with the g42/43 has its merit

so a cheapo 380 as a backup?
Ruger lcp is pretty good value, I can get it at gander for 199$ sometimes!

The way I look at it, unless you are a police officer you(I) don't need a backup. Assuming that you avoid situations where you are going to be at risk, the odds are 1000 to one (at least) that you will ever need to use it in a self defence mode outside the home.

Why do you feel you feel you need a backup? Are you afraid of your firearm not working? Ans: get some thing more reliable and prove bu many rounds through iot that it is reliable. or carry a wheel gun.

I'm a revolver man myself. Just picked up a S&W Model 638 Airweight. If you go with two different calibers, use the larger of the two for primary. Were it me, I would use the same caliber. Since you already own a .380, I would opt for something different. If you already had a 9mm, it would make sense to stick with a 9mm for backup. No having to buy different ammo. Many who carry a J frame for SD, will carry a second for backup. Its called a "New York reload".
If you aren't afraid of reliability in your current pistol, you might opt to just purchase additional magazines for your pistol to increase the amount of ammo available without adding too much additional weight.

LCP or the Glock both very good choices , I personally carry a LCP for exceutive dress when out on my regular day job with hornaday critical defence loads and a spare magazine in my left front pocket

when in the truck with high value merchandise it's my Glock 17 with a spare magazine both loaded with winchester silver tip defence loads in a level 2 retention holster a +P load @1300 feet per second

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stockrex
I have asked folks here in the MI forums and they said no limit on # you can carry, but I will check with local PD.

You can carry as many as you want in Michigan and any pistol you want. Some states require the exact gun to be listed on your permit, silly. The G42 has had a lot of issues since its release however the G43 has already proven quite reliable.

For civilian carry I myself prefer to just carry a quality gun, a spare magazine and a nice folding knife. If there is a jam, the gun be fixed with the spare magazine. Catastrophic failures requiring a second firearm are so rare I wouldn't even plan for them, myself. Just my opinion.

The Glock 42 and a spare magazine should be enough.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Catastrophic failures requiring a second firearm are so rare I wouldn't even plan for them, myself. Just my opinion.

Someone like you saying that validates my much more inexperienced feelings.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
Originally Posted By: stockrex

You can carry as many as you want in Michigan and any pistol you want. Some states require the exact gun to be listed on your permit, silly. The G42 has had a lot of issues since its release however the G43 has already proven quite reliable.

ok, I remember my cpl instructor did a skit where he pulled out nearly a dozen pistols, it was pretty funny.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
For civilian carry I myself prefer to just carry a quality gun, a spare magazine and a nice folding knife. If there is a jam, the gun be fixed with the spare magazine. Catastrophic failures requiring a second firearm are so rare I wouldn't even plan for them, myself. Just my opinion.

The Glock 42 and a spare magazine should be enough.

I have 7 rounds in my glock 42, another mag will give me 6 more rounds.
13 rounds total and I should call it a day then?

Originally Posted By: stchman
The Ruger LCP is a great carry gun. Small, reliable, easy to conceal. With them being on sale for ~$229 these days, it makes sense.

Don't listen to the "you need something bigger than 380" folks, 380 will do the job.

You need to study police shootings. .380 will not do the job. For that matter, consider the FBI shootout that spawned the development (in a roundabout way) of the round I carry concealed-- .40S&W or the "10mm short." Bad guys Platt and Maddox took rounds from the agents, one was a 9mm that would have been a fatal wound even if Platt had been in a hospital O.R. on the table when shot-- no surgical repair would have prevented that wound being fatal. But, and this is a big but, the wound *trauma* was not enough to prevent him from continuing the fight long enough to continue being a lethal threat before he succumbed to the wound . This is seen some in police shootings. The suspect can be hit in the kill zone with 9mm and keep on fighting long enough to remain a very lethal threat. When someone is seriously jacked up on adrenalin or the right drugs and are a lethal threat, I want to hit them preferably with my Glock 21SF .45ACP or if out blue jeaning around on my own time, nothing less than my concealed carry piece, an ultra slim .40S&W compact firing the hot stuff like Hornady critical defense, Speer Gold Dot, or Remington Golden Saber. I don't want anything less than 400 foot pounds muzzle energy in order to create a traumatic wound channel. This is about stopping the threat right now not 5, 10, 15 or more seconds after they're hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back