Amsoil ATF vs. ATL - Honda Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
As most of you may know, Honda discontinued ATF-Z1 a while back and is now specifying DW-1 as the service fill for all of their vehicles with the traditional automatics. Some of the 2011 (and newer) vehicles came with DW-1 from the factory.

Amsoil is recommending their "ATF" product for applications that called for ATF-Z1. For the DW-1 applications, they are recommending "ATL."

So for an application that originally called for ATF-Z1, which Amsoil product should I use?

I used AMSoil's fuel efficient low viscosity ATF in my wife's 07' Civic with no issues. My other vehicle needed the same type of ATF and I just wanted one on hand. I used the same reasoning that they now specify DW-1 as replacement that it should be fine and it is. No noticable difference.

Did some searching on the site and found that most of the Amsoil ATF UOAs show that the fluid shears down (but stays at) to the low 6-cst range. So ATL's starting viscosity may not be a concern at all.

Amsoil Tech Services responded to me this morning and advised that I use ATL for this application. They said it meets both requirements and would be the preferred fluid.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why not use DW-1?

Because he doesnt want a transmission failure probably. DW1 is semi synthetic at best and doesnt hold a candle to Amsoil true pao/ester synthetic

OP-Im a owner of several Hondas/Acuras heres the deal.

You can use the NEW fuel efficient (lighter) oil in older transmissions. You CANNOT use the heavier atf in the new ones that require lighter fluid.

Amsoil goies the safe route recently by recommending the heavier atf for z1 oem equipped transmissions and fuel efficient light oil for dw1 equipped transmissions. But in reality just as you CAN use DW1 in Z1 equipped Hondas/Acuras (you have to, z1 is no longer made) you can use atl in older and newer transmissions.

Originally Posted By: stchman
When it comes to Honda automatic transmissions, i would use only DW-1.

conservative approach is warranted in honda AT's, as above. That said, I've had amsoil in a few honda AT's, one has over 300k on it, with no issues. I'm pretty conservative with ATF choices--- but amsoil is one brand that I have never had any problems with. Usually improvements.

-m

Originally Posted By: meep
Originally Posted By: stchman
When it comes to Honda automatic transmissions, i would use only DW-1.

conservative approach is warranted in honda AT's, as above. That said, I've had amsoil in a few honda AT's, one has over 300k on it, with no issues. I'm pretty conservative with ATF choices--- but amsoil is one brand that I have never had any problems with. Usually improvements.

-m

Since I have fluid in the Odyssey and some small amount in the hybrid, I need to have a fluid path forward. If its Amsoil, or DW-1, so be it.

Well, I'm converting to ATL for my '07 Fit soon. I was browsing some older threads and wanted to bump this up.

I just got the order out this morning. I concur with the thought of ATL unless you have an older Honda tranny that simply prefers thicker viscosity similar to the older Z1. Amsoil's regular ATF was a bit thicker than Z1 virgin and considering how generally shear stable their fluids are just go with the DW-1 equivalent.

I emailed Amsoil about this and they said that if Honda says DW-1 is back spec'd then to use the ATL with confidence. They only cited slightly less protection with ATL compared to their Universal ATF (probably from viscosity differences alone ofc)

thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back