Picked up a new 1911 recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first 1911 but I have fired several in the 10 years I've been shooting. I thought it was a beautiful gun and I liked how it felt in my hand. I have not fired it yet. I think Kimber puts out a pretty good 1911, excellent trigger on this one. I have other guns but only about half are very photogenic.

21616386184_870033d555_b.jpg

Now you've made the purchase, you need to practice, practice, PRACTICE!

When you can put 8 or 10 rounds inside a C.D. sized target in under 5 seconds from 35 yards you'll be safe and sound
smile.gif

Kimber puts out a decent pistol. Is it full size and or light weight?

I have 3 1911's

For me..too big to carry even my Commander LW. I will say that when I hike I keep one in my backpack ion addition to the one I am carrying. Great HD gun. I keep one on my rec room.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
Now you've made the purchase, you need to practice, practice, PRACTICE!

When you can put 8 or 10 rounds inside a C.D. sized target in under 5 seconds from 35 yards you'll be safe and sound
smile.gif

Why 35 yards? If you're engaging a target at 35 yards, it's too soon to determine that they're a threat. If they're already shooting at you at that range, a pistol is the wrong weapon...you should be taking cover...and getting your rifle...

My plain vanilla Kimber Stainless II, back when I bought it a few years ago. It's been a good running 1911. A lot of people dump on Kimber's. I've found them to be one of the better 1911's on the market today.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Why 35 yards? If you're engaging a target at 35 yards, it's too soon to determine that they're a threat. If they're already shooting at you at that range, a pistol is the wrong weapon...you should be taking cover...and getting your rifle...

This ^^^^^^^^^

Nice hand gun.

I hate to carry my more expensive guns for CHL as they could end up in a evidence locker, so I normally carry a snub Smith or a 26 Glock.

Judge spoke at a CHL meeting and told us it is hard to claim self defense when engaging at longer distance,ie across a parking lot.
He said he liked to see powder burns.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Astro14

This ^^^^^^^^^

Yep more like 35ft.

Originally Posted By: Neely97
Nice hand gun.

I hate to carry my more expensive guns for CHL as they could end up in a evidence locker, so I normally carry a snub Smith or a 26 Glock.

Judge spoke at a CHL meeting and told us it is hard to claim self defense when engaging at longer distance,ie across a parking lot.
He said he liked to see powder burns.
Or entry wounds in YOU before you are "allowed" to return fire?

Originally Posted By: Neely97

I hate to carry my more expensive guns for CHL as they could end up in a evidence locker,

If you ever have to use it that will be a minor, minor, minor issue.

I like 1911's in general, I own a very nice Kimber. The 1911 is fun, but not the pistol by my bed.

Well, beginning 1-1-2016 TX will have open carry, so then I can pack my 480 Ruger , is that good enough for ya?
laugh.gif

Open carry? Will it be from a fast draw holster? I had a Fanner 50 as a Kid, nice rig.

Originally Posted By: Al
Kimber puts out a decent pistol. Is it full size and or light weight?

I have 3 1911's

For me..too big to carry even my Commander LW. I will say that when I hike I keep one in my backpack ion addition to the one I am carrying. Great HD gun. I keep one on my rec room.

Full size. I'm 5'9" and pretty thin. I wear clothes that fit me so carrying something large is not very comfortable. I carry a Ruger LCP (.380) with an extended magazine and critical defense rounds. Not exactly a cannon but my draw and shoot is pretty good. I had to do various defense shooting for my Florida Carry Permit training, the instructor watched me on the first go around and said "well, I guess you don't need any help" and spent his time on some on the other people.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Kimber makes a good pistol...they used to make excellent ones. That is all I will say about the quality of them.

I am not the biggest Kimber fan, everything they make is some kind of limited edition whatever. The fixed sight came off of a relatives once while at the range. But this one seems to be put together right. It is about 4 years old. I bought it from the original owner, a friend of a friend who needed cash. $800 and it came with 375 rounds FMJ and various hallow points, 4 magazines, 3 pack of springs, original case. He said he took it shooting once, I believe him. A good friend of mine shoots for a state league, 1911 in .45/.22. He is very critical but had no complaints.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Open carry? Will it be from a fast draw holster? I had a Fanner 50 as a Kid, nice rig.

Hope you saved it because that's' as close as you will get in CA.

Besides everyone knows you can't fan a double action, that would take an old Colt single action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back