New: Castrol Edge High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surfing the castrol edge pds/msds site because I was looking up the data sheets because I'm coming up on an oil change and was contemplating try the edge. Anyway, I came across these PDS, mosly dated NOV 2015 and they actually have a few real specs just not the minimums. I wonder when they will be released. Enjoy!

5w20

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/14FB39027E09599680257EFB00730F29/$File/BPXE-A4X83Q.pdf

5w30
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/0669D0A6E304D0D180257EFB0072A70A/$File/BPXE-A4X7WW.pdf

10w30
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/3827FAF96D477B9280257EFB0072E1D4/$File/BPXE-A4X7ZL.pdf

10w40
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/C1F0EF8D93EFB6D880257EF8006F10F4/$File/BPXE-A4P6XQ.pdf

Very interesting, thanks for posting. Did you catch this?

3X stronger against viscosity breakdown than leading conventional oils and Mobil1*
* Tested in the ASTM D6278 test

I presume they are referring to some kind of TEOST test or something I'm not sure exactly what ASTM D6278 is, but that is a pretty strong claim.

I was hoping it'd be nice and thick but it doesn't look especially so. They actually list an HTHS for the 10w30, very un-Castrol like.

Thickest KV100 of a 10w I've seen in a non- HDEO. Plus an 8.5% NOACK, candidate for the IS if the price is right.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
3X stronger against viscosity breakdown than leading conventional oils and Mobil1*
* Tested in the ASTM D6278 test

ASTM D6278:
Quote:
Significance and Use

5.1 This test method evaluates the percent viscosity loss for polymer-containing fluids resulting from polymer degradation in the high shear nozzle device. Thermal or oxidative effects are minimized.

5.2 This test method is used for quality control purposes by manufacturers of polymeric lubricant additives and their customers.

5.3 This test method is not intended to predict viscosity loss in field service in different field equipment under widely varying operating conditions, which may cause lubricant viscosity to change due to thermal and oxidative changes as well as by the mechanical shearing of polymer. However, when the field service conditions, primarily or exclusively, result in the degradation of polymer by mechanical shearing, there may be a correlation between the results from this test method and results from the field.

1. Scope

1.1 This test method covers the evaluation of the shear stability of polymer-containing fluids. The test method measures the percent viscosity loss at 100°C of polymer-containing fluids when evaluated by a diesel injector apparatus procedure that uses European diesel injector test equipment. The viscosity loss reflects polymer degradation due to shear at the nozzle.

Very interesting, thanks
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Wonder if Walmart will carry it so It won't be uber expensive?

I hope. I'm still waiting for Walmart to carry Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage, my local Walmarts anyway.

They carry Valvoline Full Synthetic with MaxLife but only in 5W-30 & 10W-30, although Valvoline's website states they also make a 5W-20 version.

Mobil 1 High Mileage is readily available in 5W-20 but it's only API SL & my vehicles require SM or SN. Hopefully Castrol will fill the gap with an SN rated FULL SYNTHETIC HIGH MILEAGE oil available in MULTIPLE grades & available for REASONABLE COST at Walmart...

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Wonder if Walmart will carry it so It won't be uber expensive?

I hope. I'm still waiting for Walmart to carry Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage, my local Walmarts anyway.

They carry Valvoline Full Synthetic with MaxLife but only in 5W-30 & 10W-30, although Valvoline's website states they also make a 5W-20 version.

Mobil 1 High Mileage is readily available in 5W-20 but it's only API SL & my vehicles require SM or SN. Hopefully Castrol will fill the gap with an SN rated FULL SYNTHETIC HIGH MILEAGE oil available in MULTIPLE grades & available for REASONABLE COST at Walmart...

I don't think that WalMart is going to carry Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage because they had a discounted sale online for it a month ago and now they don't even carry it online.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks. Nice find. The 10w-40 grade claims ACEA A3/B4. Wonder how it'll be priced in comparison to regular Edge.

They should carry the 5w-30 A3/B4 down there like they do up here. Castrol is trying to offer as many A3/B4 offerings as SOPUS offers SN/GF-5 ones.
wink.gif

Here, it's much the same as any other Castrol synthetic. It's availability isn't as wide as their 5w-30 GTX obviously, but it's a lot wider than many other products on the market.

Yay finally!!!!!!!!!!
happy2.gif

Edge HM 5w20 is ACEA A1/B1 (no ACEA in any 20-wt M1 or Sopus syn)

Edge HM 5w30 and 10w30 are also A1/B1 (regular Edge is A5/B5 in both grades) M1 HM 5w30 is only A1/B1, and M1 HM 10w30 is A3/B3. All other 30-wt M1 non-Euro PCMO variants are A1/B1. Only PP/PUP 5w30 is A5/B5; no ACEA for any other SOPUS syn PCMO.

Edge HM 10w40 is A3/B4 (all 40-wt Edges are A3/B4, as is their 0w30 A3/B4). M1's 40's are only A3/B3, except the Euro 0w40 which is A3/B4.

Just bought 7 quarts of the 5w20 for my 09 f250 with the v10.
We will see, but I predict that the truck will happily roll along with zero issues because of this decision.
Why not motorcraft? its cheaper and meets all specs, will because I am bored with my otherwise utilitarian life and wanted a little bit of excitement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back