You Guys Were Right - Stanley Junk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I posted months ago about how I wanted a new ratchet set and decided to go with the Stanley 201 piece set since my previous Stanley set was 10 years old and great.

This new one is absolute junk. They're the cheapest wrenches I've seen, and there's almost no deep sockets. No large wrenches (no above 12mm) and no larger sockets.

The 1/2" ratchet died the 3rd time I used it, it sort of works but after 2 turns it locks up and I have to slide it back to tighten or loosen and then it locks right back up.

The 1/4" ratchet died the 4th time I used it. The screws popped out and it's completely unusable.

Stanley has a lifetime warranty so I'll be emailing them and have them send me new ratchets.

Also the plastic case they came in barely holds the sockets in, I open the case and 10-12 sockets fall out.

I have a number of harbor freight sockets and have found both their sockets and ratchets to be great bang for the buck. Not super nice, but they have held up well for me over the past couple years.

Also, I have a Husky ratchet kit that was very cheap a couple years ago but feels VERY nice.

That set was $59 on Amazon couple weeks ago.Sure hope you didn't spend more than that.

Stanley's better socket sets are Bostitch branded. I have a set of the Bostitch 3/8 and 1/2 all six point short and deep with a good quality case, and I think they are good enough. My local Walmart stocks the Bostitch, but keeps them locked up. You can find them on Ebay with significant savings.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Get some craftsman ratchets off ebay, or buy new.

Craftsman ratchets have way too much slack in them. If you're in a tight spot you're only going to get 1/4 turn or so at a time if that on the fastner.

So Nick, how many ratchets are you going to break before you get tired of the hassle? You should be able to scare up a decent set of tools with a couple of weekends of yard-saling in Phx. Any chance of getting your money back?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I posted months ago about how I wanted a new ratchet set and decided to go with the Stanley 201 piece set since my previous Stanley set was 10 years old and great.

This new one is absolute junk. They're the cheapest wrenches I've seen, and there's almost no deep sockets. No large wrenches (no above 12mm) and no larger sockets.

The 1/2" ratchet died the 3rd time I used it, it sort of works but after 2 turns it locks up and I have to slide it back to tighten or loosen and then it locks right back up.

The 1/4" ratchet died the 4th time I used it. The screws popped out and it's completely unusable.

Stanley has a lifetime warranty so I'll be emailing them and have them send me new ratchets.

Also the plastic case they came in barely holds the sockets in, I open the case and 10-12 sockets fall out.
try kobalt, rebuilding engines and all sort of car work except transmissions, none have broken or annoyed me so far, ridiculously reliable.

Bostitch 105-Piece Socket Set (3/8, 1/2), BTMT72261 This is the set I have that I bought on Ebay for $64 shipped. These sets don't have all the the fluff to run up the count. They don't have wrenches, but buy GearWrench ratcheting wrenches when they are on sale, or find a used set. Flex head would be the better buy, but they can be pricey. I have a NAPA 1/4 inch drive socket set with case for the small stuff.

Bostitch 174-Piece Socket Set (1/4, 3/8, 1/2), BTMT72262 No fluff with this set either to run up the count. I would have bought this set, but I did not have the cash.

I had to buy some tools because lots of my Craftsman made in the USA tools were stolen, but they did not get them all. Still have complete sets of wrenches in SAE and metric non-ratcheting.

Tekton makes some decent stuff at Meijer, Home Depot or Amazon. I'm sure it's available elsewhere too. Made in Taiwan if it matters, the 70 something tooth 3/8 ratchet I got is pretty nice.

If there not to old...Take them back to Walmart and get a refund. And buy a set of GearWrenches.

You get what you pay for. What makes you think the replacement ratchets will be any better than the broken ones?

harbor freight is cheap and usually good quality for their best sets. Usually 1/2 the price of sears and i believe a lifetime warranty

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Craftsman ratchets have way too much slack in them. If you're in a tight spot you're only going to get 1/4 turn or so at a time if that on the fastner.

Ditto.
I still use both the 1/4" and 3/8" Craftsman sets that I have had since the late 70's.
The only modification that I have made is that I have replaced the Craftsman ratchets with an Armstrong in both sets.
They perform like a proper ratchet should.

Harbor Freight is great stuff for the price.

Gearwrench is good but not inexpensive.

Kobalt is good stuff.

Most the stuff I use is Craftsmen sockets with HF ratchets.

Craftsmen from the 70s is not comparable to Craftsmen today. In name only.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Ditto.
I still use both the 1/4" and 3/8" Craftsman sets that I have had since the late 70's.
The only modification that I have made is that I have replaced the Craftsman ratchets with an Armstrong in both sets.
They perform like a proper ratchet should.

I agree.

US and Chinese both are sloppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back