Nissan Rogue made in TN or Korea. should I care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a Rogue, and some of them are made in Smyrna TN and some made in Korea. certainly I would prefer to support USA labor - but that aside, should one be built better than the other? from what I could tell (just comparing two samples) the TN version has Dunlop tires, engine assembled here, and CVT from MX. from Korea: tires = Hankook, engine= ??, CVT from Japan.

my biggest concern is the quality of the CVT...

I'd watch anything new from Nissan since their venture with Renault (junk) and their mexican assembly plants... We had a 2012 Versa and 2014 sentra, both total pieces of [censored] and really ruined my like for Nissans for good. Nothing like they used to be...

I know of a 2013 Frontier that was US made,and the bed floor isn't put together correctly.One panel was 1/2 welded and no seam sealer....you can see the ground thru it. So,the lack of a UAW controlled plant means nothing.

I'd buy the unit that was equipped exactly like I wanted. It has come down to the tire brand for me in the past.

Good looking vehicle.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second buying anything built in Japan (or Germany for that matter). Mexico, Korea or China built would get me a little nervous on an expensive purchase like a vehicle. To me, Japan is top notch in quality, whereas others from overseas remind me of a dollar store level of quality. Japan > China by 10 fold.

The honest truth is that the Rogue isn't a good car.

The only models they offer that have an industry average of reliability is the Titan, Frontier, Xterra, Maxima and Altima (With the VQ35DE).

Their CVTs are pretty much the worst in the industry, besides the ones made by ZF for FoMoCo.

I am a mechanic, and this has made be biased.

I know when the Rogue first came out, they were made in Japan. My inlaws are on their 3rd leased Rogue. They love them even though they haven't been problem free for them. Simple things like cabin air filter replacements are odd on them. That's the only thing I've done on them.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I'm looking at a Rogue, and some of them are made in Smyrna TN and some made in Korea. certainly I would prefer to support USA labor - but that aside, should one be built better than the other? from what I could tell (just comparing two samples) the TN version has Dunlop tires, engine assembled here, and CVT from MX. from Korea: tires = Hankook, engine= ??, CVT from Japan.

my biggest concern is the quality of the CVT...

I have a 2015 Rogue (Hankook tires) and I'm very happy with the vehicle. Hyundai and Kia are in Korea and their vehicle quality is now on par with the US and Japan, so why would it be an issue that my Rogue was manufactured there. South Korea is now a modern first world nation like Japan, so the quality of workmanship is not an issue.

As far as the CVT goes, most of the issues Nissan had in their 1st generation Rogues (2008-13) was related to overheating. A big part of the fix was Nissan's putting transmission coolers in affected vehicles. The CVT in the 2nd gen Rogues (2014 and newer) is different from the 1st gen ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Nissan isn't what it used to be. I'd prefer another model if I was buying new.

+1

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Nissan isn't what it used to be. I'd prefer another model if I was buying new.

+1

Agreed. IMO, Renault for the American market.

Interesting, i had no idea Nissan was building NA market vehicles on Korea now. Good to know! Quality wise i would assume is the same.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Interesting, i had no idea Nissan was building NA market vehicles on Korea now. Good to know! Quality wise i would assume is the same.

Nissan and Samsung have been building cars in Korea for quite a while, that operation is now called Renault Samsung Motors. Samsung itself is a huge conglomerate that goes beyond cell phones, TVs and appliances.

What was the Nissan of the past is now at Subaru, seeing how the two were joined at the hips back in the 1970s-1990s.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd avoid Nissan. Having said that, if you like the car go ahead and buy the US made one. I would only buy the Korean made one if the cost savings was passed along to me. So unless the Korean one is 1/2 the cost of the Us built one, don't buy it.

Cars built in a just opened plant, or one that hasn't built that model before, tend to have more problems IMO. I'd go for the US built one, which at least supports American jobs a little bit. You have a valid concern on the CVT though.

rethink buying a Compromised Utility Vehicle. You are paying a 30% premium for less value.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
rethink buying a Compromised Utility Vehicle. You are paying a 30% premium for less value.

Nice analogy. So true I don't see what the true value is in such a
vehicle that compromises BOTH ends of what might be a excellent station wagon, or a full size SUV.

Just goes to show you the US consumer can be easily led by the nose by marketing departments.
45.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back