2016 6.4L Dodge Hemi calls for 0-40 in 3/4 ton

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son just bought a 392 CID Hemi(6.4L) in a Dodge 3/4 ton pickup. I was surprised to see it calls for 0-40 Synthetic in the manual. I saw in the manual that the 5.7L hemi in the half ton still calls for 0-20 and 0-30 in the 5.7 for the 3/4 ton.

Any comments?

That is surprising.

The other interesting thing about that motor is that there aren't a lot of oils that meet Chrysler's MS-12633 spec.

Perhaps Dodge assumes that a 3/4 ton will be working harder than a 1/2 ton and specified the oil due to that?

The 6.4 engine used in the trucks is the same as the SRT variant except for minor differences in cam specs and tuning.

But the duty cycle is what dictates the oil choice...

Originally Posted By: callbay
My son just bought a 392 CID Hemi(6.4L) in a Dodge 3/4 ton pickup. I was surprised to see it calls for 0-40 Synthetic in the manual. I saw in the manual that the 5.7L hemi in the half ton still calls for 0-20 and 0-30 in the 5.7 for the 3/4 ton.

Any comments?

Not sure what "comments" you're looking for, people make a bigger deal out of things like this than warranted (in other words, no I don't think that means a 0w40 is a better choice for the 5.7 too).

The 6.4 in the 3/4 ton is expected to be worked very hard, and I'm pretty sure nobody expects 3/4 ton 6.4 owners to be watching the fuel economy very closely (and if they do, they'll be sorely disappointed!) Its got a good bit more power and torque than the 5.7, although less peak power than the performance-tuned version of the 6.4 in the Charger/Challenger. But you have to remember that all that power is going through the same size bearings as a 5.7. So it makes sense that it would spec a heavier oil, its simply a higher stress application.

A few years ago, I would have expected to see it specify a 10w30 or maybe 5w40, but I think the fact that it doesn't shows just how tough today's 0w40s really are. They're up there with HDEOs in terms of protection, frankly.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Further evidence that thicker oil does in fact protect better?

Assuming it's not thick enough to cause flow problems in any area of the engine, yes, it will.

But there's a point where the oil is thick enough to protect the bearings and such, so going thicker won't produce a measurable reduction in wear.

Now, if you increase the load on those bearings without increasing the amount of bearing surface, you'll need a thicker oil to hit that point.

It is not just any old 0W-40 but a 0W-40 meeting the FCA MS-12633 spec which runs high on moly.

The RAM 6.4 calling out 0W-40 was more to line it up with the same oil spec as the 6.4 SRT engine.

That being said, the below video from the Director of Ram Engineering states that all reliability testing of the RAM 6.4 was done with 5W-30 dino and that an 0W-40 is not required. Of course this deviates from the manual recommendations and is not a legal standing to deviate from it but a point to ponder.

https://youtu.be/6jGrVeqE3JI?t=13m42s

Originally Posted By: callbay
I saw in the manual that the 5.7L hemi in the half ton still calls for 0-20 and 0-30 in the 5.7 for the 3/4 ton.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Further evidence that thicker oil does in fact protect better?

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
But there's a point where the oil is thick enough to protect the bearings and such, so going thicker won't produce a measurable reduction in wear.

I agree with you both. The thicker oil does not reduce wear if the thinner oil is doing it's job, but a thicker oil gives you a better safety margin when working your engine hard. Say pulling a heavy load, up a steep series of hills.

It makes sense to me that the same engine, moving more weight, would be expected to sometimes run hotter (oil temp) and therefore need a thicker oil to keep it in the safe zone.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
It is not just any old 0W-40 but a 0W-40 meeting the FCA MS-12633 spec which runs high on moly.

Five years from now, when Tata Motors buys Chrysler and they switch to a different lubricant supplier like Petronas or something similarly obscure to us in North America, Pennzoil will ditch this oil like yesterday's news, and people looking for it will be in the same pickle that Land Rover and Jaguar people are right now, hunting for oil with their obscure Ford specification that almost no lubricant manufacturer bothers with.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
FYI, not Dodge. Ram.
Ram Trucks is its own brand separate from Dodge.

Probably not unlike Chevrolet and GMC hardware with their respective badges and exclusive product/option offerings.
Precisely why I specify GMC for my heavy-duty hauling needs. Dilettantes notwithstanding, some trucks work for a living.

Me thinks 229.5/LL-01 specification lubricants provide proven protection in many applications.
The ill-fated DaimlerChrysler marriage apparently resulted in some pilfered engineering.
Affalterbach has some swell parts bins and really clued in hot rodders. Witness AMG and SRT.

And I'm never too proud to 'borrow' others' good ideas.
smile.gif

FYI, not Dodge. Ram.

Still can't get used to that. Ram's will always be Dodge's to me!

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
FYI, not Dodge. Ram.

Still can't get used to that. Ram's will always be Dodge's to me!

Better get used to it because Ram Truck division is kicking butt in the truck world!

There's absolutely NOTHING in the MS-12633 spec that has to do with additive package composition at all. You don't have to have any molybdenum at all to satisfy it, it just so happens that the Pennzoil SRT 0w40 does have more moly than M1 0w40, and so the myth got started that MS-12633 has something to do with molybdenum content. 12633 is an extended time fleet endurance test, not a content or performance spec in any way, and any modern SN oil should pass it without a hitch. IMO, it was a gimme to SOPUS to give them a leg up when the contract changed from XOM to SOPUS. Personally I think M1 0w40 is a slightly better oil so I use it in my SRT, 12633 be darned. I'm out of warranty now anyway, so actual real-world protection matters more to me than checking a check-box on a form.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

There's absolutely NOTHING in the MS-12633 spec that has to do with additive package composition at all. You don't have to have any molybdenum at all to satisfy it, it just so happens that the Pennzoil SRT 0w40 does have more moly than M1 0w40, and so the myth got started that MS-12633 has something to do with molybdenum content. 12633 is an extended time fleet endurance test, not a content or performance spec in any way, and any modern SN oil should pass it without a hitch. IMO, it was a gimme to SOPUS to give them a leg up when the contract changed from XOM to SOPUS. Personally I think M1 0w40 is a slightly better oil so I use it in my SRT, 12633 be darned. I'm out of warranty now anyway, so actual real-world protection matters more to me than checking a check-box on a form.

That's nice, I think you got me confused for someone that cares if you do or do not comply with it, I do not. So throttle back the angst.

That's nice, I think you got me confused for someone that cares if you do or do not comply with it, I do not. So throttle back the angst.

No angst... just clarifying that 12633 has nothing to do with moly percentage. I don't care what oil anyone chooses to use, but I do care about fact vs. rumor.

Originally Posted By: splinter
FYI, not Dodge. Ram.

Probably not unlike Chevrolet and GMC hardware with their respective badges and exclusive product/option offerings.
Precisely why I specify GMC for my heavy-duty hauling needs. Dilettantes notwithstanding, some trucks work for a living.

Me thinks 229.5/LL-01 specification lubricants provide proven protection in many applications.
The ill-fated DaimlerChrysler marriage apparently resulted in some pilfered engineering.
Affalterbach has some swell parts bins and really clued in hot rodders. Witness AMG and SRT.

And I'm never too proud to 'borrow' others' good ideas.
smile.gif

Absolutely, I smile every time I turn the Mercedes key in my Ram, and fire up the M276 I mean Pentastar...its a 7spd gear box and an independent rear end away from an ML...

All the Ram motors are cousins to Mercedes engines, the 6.4 is no exception, hence the 0w40. I'm sure they have a good engineering reason to use it in the 6.4 over the other motors. Don't really care what it is, part of the reason you buy a $50k+ truck is because they have those details all figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back