Harbor Freight oil drain pan pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
71vHUX7nhAL.jpg

Got this one for no immediate cost back when our city was handing them out. You screw the yellow tray (female threads) onto a 1.5" spout (male threads), drain oil, unscrew tray and put cap onto spout, use some starter fluid to flush the tray clean, and take 2 oil changes worth of oil to the local auto parts store for recycling. (Image borrowed from Amazon).

I didn't buy this one from harbor freight I just hadn't seen it before so I took a pic of it.

The one I use normally is this one
Midwest can
6380_uid10192009155192.jpg

I believe u can get them at fleet farm.
I love it
Holds the 6 quarts from the Lexus nicely.
And pours well into a small funnel
Also as a bonus has the filter drain post

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spackard
71vHUX7nhAL.jpg

BEST drain pan in my opinion have had one for nearly 15 years. Holds a lot so you can change pretty much anything you need to, or change oil 2 times on something with a smaller capacity, the funnel thing is removable and cleans easily. The pour spout is easy enough to pour into milk jugs. it does not slosh.

I have been using this for about 15 years

0000000036155.jpg

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Midwest-Can-9-Qt.-Oil-Recovery-Drain-Pan/0000000036155?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gslfah&gclid=CjwKEAiA1o-zBRDomsWasvKh4S8SJADSlZkqoQm6eI5y15WnNmCvbG28iMzFCs69QdjUMICtkuUZJRoCG8Lw_wcB

Absolutely love it. It doesn't seem to splash, holds a bunch, and easily pours into whatever container you use to store the oil (or just keep it in the pan). Add to that the whole top is the part that catches the oil so even on my taller vehicles I never have a problem with the oil shooting over the edge, or when the flow slows dropping over the inside edge. Even with a chevy trailblazer up on ramps I just put the back lip about an inch before the drain plug and the pan lengthways where the oil was going to shoot out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
IMAG1002.jpg

$5.99 looks nice enough
Has a decent spout for pouring and has a filter drain post

That's an oil-drain pan?? How do you carry the oil for recycling? You need something with a lid. I can't believe they would sell this as an oil-drain pan. Coolant drain, yes, oil drain, no. $6 is a rip-off in any case.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

That's an oil-drain pan?? How do you carry the oil for recycling? You need something with a lid. I can't believe they would sell this as an oil-drain pan. Coolant drain, yes, oil drain, no. $6 is a rip-off in any case.

Does not have to be a transportation device holder to be a drain pan. Anything that catches oil can be a drain pain.

I run a similar setup and pour into dedicated 5 gallon plastic fuel container and then transport. I get a few changes in and then run to the recycle place to dump and not after every oil change.

I've been using this for many years. Leave the oil in the container, and take container to recycle center. No need to transfer to another container.

Drain Pan

9017658_ftl_11838mi_pri_mini.jpg

That's the one I bought. Leaks like a seive so I have to drain it after each use. But I have a place to recycle it on my way to work so it's not a problem.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Does not have to be a transportation device holder to be a drain pan. Anything that catches oil can be a drain pain.

I run a similar setup and pour into dedicated 5 gallon plastic fuel container and then transport. I get a few changes in and then run to the recycle place to dump and not after every oil change.

There are a lot more convenient oil-drain pans with lids, strains, gaskets, and capped drainage spouts sold at auto-parts stores.

The problem with changing containers to transport the oil is that a lot of oil will remain in the first pan no matter what because oil is viscous and sticky. You don't worry about that with containers will lids because you just close the lid and whatever remains will be sealed.

For example these two are $6.79 and $8.99, respectively:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/FTL0/11896/N0026.oap

11896.jpg

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/FTL0/11837/N0026.oap

11837.jpg

I had one of these oil drain pans for two plus yrs. Problem is that the cap end is darn near useless. It is not secure and will drip oil. It has hardly any threads on it at all. I'm going to get the 15 quart size oil drain pan that has a threaded end that would seal properly. It's about $15 not on sale but it will keep oil inside of it. The old one I had and wrote about is all right to drain oil into. But the small opening with not enough threads is where it fails. So I had to drain the oil in it immediately which I didn't mind. But when it started dropping as I was draining the oil in my car I had enough of that. IF a oil drain pan does not tighten down completely then you will have trouble. If it does the infamous tighten down then it suddenly loosens all the sudden trick.... It's no good. This same rule is true for other oil containers. Many 5 qt containers do the same exact thing. Tighten down then suddenly loosen up if continue to tighten. Only way to guruantee this not to be a problem is to see if the drain pan or container tightens down and NEVER all the sudden pops loose and tightens again. It must tighten down ALL the way until you can't turn it anymore and its impossible to tighten it anymore. That's a good container for storage and transport. Even 1 qt containers that tighten all the way down properly can still seep a very small bit of oil. But it is a whole lot less than a container that does the torque down then pops loosens again trick.

I use the cheap regular drain pain, but use a large funnel to transfer the oil into old 5 quart oil jugs I keep around. When I get 4 or 5 of them filled up, I bring them to the 'Zone for recycling. I have one the of big round containers with the hole in the middle, but the cap on the spout always wants to leak. Maybe one of the engineers on this forum could get rich by designing an oil drain pan/ storage container that actually works! The ones with the mesh to catch the drain plug seem to cause splashing when the hot oil is draining onto it in my experience. I just hold onto the plug when I remove it, or have to go fishing real quick before too much oil drains.

Originally Posted By: spackard
71vHUX7nhAL.jpg

Got this one for no immediate cost back when our city was handing them out. You screw the yellow tray (female threads) onto a 1.5" spout (male threads), drain oil, unscrew tray and put cap onto spout, use some starter fluid to flush the tray clean, and take 2 oil changes worth of oil to the local auto parts store for recycling. (Image borrowed from Amazon).

I had one of those in 2003 or so. I used it several times without issue to change the oil on the W126 Mercedes. Then one fine day it began to leak from the little yellow cap, and not a small or slow leak either.

I ditched it and the oil, never mind how, and bought a Topsider extractor the next day.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

The one I use normally is this one
Midwest can
6380_uid10192009155192.jpg

See how this one is notched out for the spout? I need one like it. The HF one has a lip the oil needs to go over when you empty the pan, and it makes a huge mess.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I had one of these oil drain pans for two plus yrs. Problem is that the cap end is darn near useless. It is not secure and will drip oil. It has hardly any threads on it at all.

That would be a problem. I've used mine for about 17 years -- three dozen oil changes -- no issues with the cap whatsoever. It lasts forever and it's very convenient.

It's called Lumax LX-1632 Drainmaster "World's Best Oil-Drain Container." Here is the current version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0059HJSA2

41UXZZnQtGL.jpg

Specs:

15 qt
8-inch opening
O-ring seal
Removable mesh
Gasket on the cap
Wheels
Handles
Made in USA

Originally Posted By: Snoman002

0000000036155.jpg

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Midwest-Can-9-Qt.-Oil-Recovery-Drain-Pan/0000000036155?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gslfah&gclid=CjwKEAiA1o-zBRDomsWasvKh4S8SJADSlZkqoQm6eI5y15WnNmCvbG28iMzFCs69QdjUMICtkuUZJRoCG8Lw_wcB

Absolutely love it. It doesn't seem to splash, holds a bunch, and easily pours into whatever container you use to store the oil (or just keep it in the pan). Add to that the whole top is the part that catches the oil so even on my taller vehicles I never have a problem with the oil shooting over the edge, or when the flow slows dropping over the inside edge. Even with a chevy trailblazer up on ramps I just put the back lip about an inch before the drain plug and the pan lengthways where the oil was going to shoot out.

Me too!

Thanks for the link. My son has been looking for one, but we haven't seen it locally since buying mine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
Sounds like:
c) The idea of a pouring spout which goes into an old milk jug (for oil transport / disposal) doesn't occur to people when they're shopping for a drain catch pan.
I use a 5 gallon sample bottle (like the one on the right side of the picture) to pour the drain pan into and take that to AZ to recycle the oil:

cq5dam.thumbnail.450.450.png

I've got a couple of drain pans. Depends on how long the "footprint" is for the filter and the drain plug...

On my wife's Jag, that is about 2 ft. And since the filter drools on the crossmember, it needs to be at least 2 ft wide too...

I use an old Mobil gear lube 5 gallon pail to carry the oil to recycle. Been using that for 20 years ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snoman002

0000000036155.jpg

I have the exact same oil change pan. I too have been using for over 15 years as well. I still have all the caps and plugs, I would like to know where to get more of the caps and plugs as mine are getting a little chewed up over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back