Sump Capacity on VW's 1.8T and 2.0T TSI Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
VW's 3rd generation 1.8T engine has a sump capacity of 6.7 qts vs 4.4 qts for the larger, more powerful 2.0T. These engines appear to have identical architecture, so it is puzzling to see such a big difference in oil capacity. For both engines synthetic oil (VW 502 spec) is required and a 10K oil change interval is recommended.

Why is there such a big difference, and in the wrong direction? It's as if the sludge lawsuit a decade ago with the 1st generation 1.8T scared VW into enlarging the sump capacity to extremes. But why not on the 2.0T as well? Surely there must be a more technical reason. Any ideas?

It's possible that VW thinks that the smaller motor will be working harder to move the same size vehicle, thereby necessitating the larger sump to keep oil temps down.

My 2016 1.8t will warm coolant very fast but to get to 200f oil temp can take 10 miles. Im guessing they went overboard for heat management and to counteract the average dumb from running it low and too far on an oci.

Originally Posted By: SandCastle
VW's 3rd generation 1.8T engine has a sump capacity of 6.7 qts vs 4.4 qts for the larger, more powerful 2.0T. These engines appear to have identical architecture, so it is puzzling to see such a big difference in oil capacity. For both engines synthetic oil (VW 502 spec) is required and a 10K oil change interval is recommended.

Why is there such a big difference, and in the wrong direction? It's as if the sludge lawsuit a decade ago with the 1st generation 1.8T scared VW into enlarging the sump capacity to extremes. But why not on the 2.0T as well? Surely there must be a more technical reason. Any ideas?

Probably more strain on smaller engine. 6.7qt is A LOT, so probably that is solution for some issue they had during construction.
Also, as owner of one 2.0T engine and previous owner of another 2.0TSI engine, I can tell you change oil every 5K and use Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40.
10K interval by VW is laughable in that engine!

VW's 3rd generation 1.8T engine has a sump capacity of 6.7 qts vs 4.4 qts for the larger, more powerful 2.0T.

This actually varies by application. For example, the 2 liter turbo in Golf/Jetta has oil sump capacity of around 6 qts.

Similarly, the 1.8T engine in some applications (Audi A3) has oil sump capacity of 5.2 qts. Which 1.8T application has capacity of 6.7 qts?

Well there is some background to this situation. The 1.8T engine made from 1998-2005 had sludge issues IF the oil service was neglected and IF the VW spec oil was not used. The heat from the turbo and a small sump worsened this problem. The small sump was only for longitudinal engine orientation, the other VW cars using this engine in transverse orientation had a larger sump = no real sludge problem.

VW made a running change to the longitudinal oriented 1.8T engine, installing a larger oil filter that held ~ 0.5 Litres more oil, increasing total oil in the engine, and issued owners manual updates that extended the engine warranty for sludge IF the owner used proper VW spec full synthetic 5W40 oil with the standard oil change interval.

So with that experience, I applaud VW for increasing the sump capacity for the new 1.8T engine. FWIW, I have no sludge in my 2004 1.8T with use of Kendall GT1 5W40 European since new and the large oil filter. 12 years and 150K km later :eek:)

The 2.0T has had issues with camshaft lobe failure for the engine driven high pressure fuel pump, very sensitive to the correct VW spec oil and OCI vigilance.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Larger sump also means longer intervals, which also could be VW's logic.

Sure, but all VWs in the US are on the same 10K OCI, yet their oil sump capacities vary greatly, if the OP's data is correct.

Surely there must be a more technical reason. Any ideas?

There is: the oil pump. The TFSI engines use some Rube Goldberg-inspired oil pump/balance shaft that sits just above the oil pan and takes up a ton of space, reducing oil capacity. If you delete the balance shafts and install the old 1.8T oil pump (there's a mod available), the capacity goes up to...6.5 quarts. Magic!

From a packing standpoint, making the oil pan bigger to make up for the reduced capacity from the giant oil pump would be a challenge, so it looks like they decided that 4.4 was good enough.

I'm all for extending OCI's, but if there's one engine on which I wouldn't push it, it's this one. Since I'm using a low-saps oil, that's even more the case.

The capacities vary by model, engine, and displacement. I suspect the differences in some cases are not real, just the result of sloppiness in the specs. According to VW.COM the sump capacities for the 2016 models are as follows: Jetta S (1.4T)=4.76 qt, SEL (1.8T)=6.76 qt, GLI SE (2.0T)=6.8 qt, BUT for the CC (2.0T)= 4.4 qt, and Tiguan S (2.0T)=4.8 qt. If your 2.0T holds 6.x quarts, then 10K oil changes could be reasonable, but with 4.x qts, a 5K OCI may be more prudent. Perhaps VW will eventually enlarge the CC's and Tiguan's capacities as well to provide more safety margin for the 10K OCI.

The capacities vary by model, engine, and displacement. I suspect the differences in some cases are not real, just the result of sloppiness in the specs. According to VW.COM the sump capacities for the 2016 models are as follows: Jetta S (1.4T)=4.76 qt, SEL (1.8T)=6.76 qt, GLI SE (2.0T)=6.8 qt, BUT for the CC (2.0T)= 4.4 qt, and Tiguan S (2.0T)=4.8 qt. If your 2.0T holds 6.x quarts, then 10K oil changes could be reasonable, but with 4.x qts, a 5K OCI may be more prudent. Perhaps VW will eventually enlarge the CC's and Tiguan's capacities as well to provide more safety margin for the 10K OCI.

I have Tiguan 2011, takes exactly 5qt!
Had 2010 CC, took exactly 5qt!

Maybe the CC and Tiguan haven't yet received new GEN3 TSI engines with those nice big sumps (with integrated exhaust manifold, plastic oil pan, etc.).

--Matt

Originally Posted By: mkosem
Maybe the CC and Tiguan haven't yet received new GEN3 TSI engines with those nice big sumps (with integrated exhaust manifold, plastic oil pan, etc.).

--Matt

Yeah, these are 2nd gen engines. My point is, in both cars sump is exactly same.
However, I am not thrilled with plastic oil pan in 3rd gen.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

--Matt

Yeah, these are 2nd gen engines. My point is, in both cars sump is exactly same.

They don't seem to be problematic so far. I like yhose cute little single use plastic drain plugs.

--Matt

My MK6 GTI 5 qts fills it perfect Gen 2 TSI.

Plastic Oil Pans
21.gif

Sure there may be no problems as of yet, but in the passion to save weight they may must be sacrificing longevity. I am certain VW engineers know what they are doing when they design a plastic oil pan, I just would prefer a metal one with a metal drain plug.

Its like that commercial for the Chevy Truck. There is a lion and a guy can pick a Steel Cage or an aluminum one. He runs to the Steel one. Does it mean its safer? No, but the general impression by the masses is Steel is more durable than Plastic. No?

It is what it is.

Jeff

....Also, as owner of one 2.0T engine and previous owner of another 2.0TSI engine, I can tell you change oil every 5K and use Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40.
10K interval by VW is laughable in that engine!

The 10K could be quite reasonable for the Gen 3 engine for two reasons: 1) the larger oil capacity, and 2) this engine has a coolant after-run pump that should mitigate the turbo heat soak problem after shut down. So no more "turbo-turds" polluting the crankcase and plugging up the oil inlet screen, as on the original 1.8T.

BTW, my 2015 Jetta reports the oil temperature on the MFD, and it typically peaks around 190F -- a tolerable temperature for oil.

Last edited:

--Matt

No, the CCTA & CBFA engines are 1st generation ea888 motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back