Looking for a budget handgun? Step on in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been shopping lately for some budget 9MM semi-auto handguns. I own several premium over $1000 handguns, several Glocks, several Sigs, Beretta's, HK, Rugers Smith & Wesson, etc. I historically turned my nose up at "budget" handguns, in the $200-$350 price range. Sorry Hi Point, Jennings, Lorcin and the like, your $160 guns will never grace my household. All of my pistols are defensive use firearms. They must be 100% reliable, all the time, or they get sold. Period.

I recently decided I needed to add some cheaper, reliable guns to my stable for various reasons. I've been doing my homework. Reading reviews. Watching YouTube reviews on some of the "budget" guns on the marketplace.

Some models considered were:
Smith&Wesson SD9VE($259)
Ruger 9E($299)
Walther PPX ($279)
EAA SARB6P CZ-75 clone($249)
Canik TP9v2 Walther P99 sorta clone ($320)

I ended up buying two of the pistols listed above:

1) SD9VE. It's a sorta Glock copy. In a sense, I like some of the engineering inside better than I do on Glock pistols. The trigger is about 8-9 pounds, which isn't great, but is acceptable for a defensive budget handgun. Apex makes a trigger spring kit for $20 which lowers the trigger pull by 2-3 pounds. It has a lifetime warranty from Smith & Wesson. I can't find any fault with the pistol, and would gladly recommend it to a family member needing a home defense pistol.

2) Canik TP9v2. This gun is getting AMAZING reviews online. Gun reviewers are falling all over themselves talking about this gun. I thought to myself, can it possible be that good? Especially for only $319? It's a sorta Walther P99 copy. It's made in Turkey by a very modern Turkish defense contractor. Comes with two very high quality Mec-Gar 18 rd magazines and a decent quality paddle holster. This pistol has the nicest trigger I've ever felt on a striker fired pistol. Ever. Handily beats my Glocks, Sigs, and a $1250 Wilson Combat Beretta. It's incredible that you can get a trigger this good on a $320 pistol. I really, really, like this pistol. It has opened my eyes up to the possibility of getting quality without spending a fortune. At its current price, it has to be the best budget firearm on the planet. It has a lifetime warranty from Century Arms. The only cons I see are that it is imported solely by Century Arms, who has a less than stellar reputation and their name is plastered all over the slide of the gun. If another more reputable company imported these and slapped their name on them (AKA like the Springfield XD model HS2000 pistols), this pistol could easily sell for $450-$500 and they would sell every last one of them right off the boat. Highly recommended if you have $320 and are looking for a high quality pistol. I think it's a more modern, better gun that my Glocks. Seriously.

And as always, since this is a lube forum, lube used on the above pistols is TW25B grease.

Canik TP9v2

tp9-tp40-big-13-14.jpg

bubbatime, great writeup. I've been considering replacing my Taurus 9mm 5 shot revolver with a semi automatic. I'll consider your recommendations. I'm not much into hand guns and didn't realize I could get a new semi automatic for this amount of money.

The Ruger 9E isn't a bad choice either, Ruger took some of the stupid off of the SR9.

My only question is when you life may depend on it why worry about $150? Brand new Glock 19s are $499. Agree I could never own a HiPoint but they seem to run quite well for people. How many rounds will you fire to proof these pistols as reliable?

Can you explain the double action/single action trigger on the Canik?

I have a bersa 380cc . Had a keltec pf9 before that. The pf9 trigger was way to heavy for my likimg. I had never heard of bersa but I learned they supply guns for the Argentina army so that's good enough for me 250$otd couldnt beat it takes any ammo given to it

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: billt460
Rock Island Armory 9 MM.

Not to start a 1911 debate, but they are target guns. Not defensive use guns. And yes, I'm intimately familiar with them with 20K to 30K rounds down range on one.

bubbatime, I've long been intrigued by the SD9VE pistol. Where'd you find it for $259? That's a great price! I looked at them and at the M&Ps last year, and bought an M&P, but I do like the SD9VE's long double action-type trigger. It reminds me of the trigger in my Kel-tec P-32. Long, but super smooth. And no safeties.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
For a rarely used nightstand gun, I'd just get a Hi-Point,

Generally considered reliable, but there is a certain level of quality I am willing to accept and not willing to accept. The Hi Point falls below that threshold for me.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
My only question is when you life may depend on it why worry about $150? Brand new Glock 19s are $499. Agree I could never own a HiPoint but they seem to run quite well for people.

I will continue to use a Glock 17 ($500), Benelli M2 shotgun ($1200), and Colt AR-15 ($900) for home defense (yes I have all three next to the bed). These pistols were bought with a certain purpose in mind. For when the wife and I can't conceal carry and have to leave the pistol locked in the car. Not ideal, but better than nothing. I'd rather leave a $300 pistol in the car in this scenario than a $500 Glock or $800 Sig.

How many rounds will you fire to proof these pistols as reliable?

Every pistol I own gets 1000 rounds minimum down range for break in and to check reliability.

Can you explain the double action/single action trigger on the Canik?

This will be tricky. Basically, the gun is a clone of the Walther P99 AS (anti-stress) trigger. You can use the decocker, and it will decock the gun, giving a 9-10 pound double action trigger, and then a single action 5 pound trigger with each subsequent shot. Or if you don't decock the trigger, your first shot is in AS mode. Hard to explain, but basically its the same long trigger pull of the double action, but breaks at about 5 pounds instead of 10, with each subsequent shot being single action 5 pound trigger. I wasn't sure about it at first, but after playing with it for a while, I recognize its genius. Basically, there is no reason to use the decocker on the pistol as the first AS style trigger pull is long and safe.

Here is a good review on the pistol. He talks about the trigger at about 12 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EjJrnItJVo

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
bubbatime, I've long been intrigued by the SD9VE pistol. Where'd you find it for $259? That's a great price!

Palmetto State Armory black Friday sale. They had 150 of them for that price.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Rock Island Armory 9 MM.

Not to start a 1911 debate, but they are target guns. Not defensive use guns. And yes, I'm intimately familiar with them with 20K to 30K rounds down range on one.

It's a fixed sight G.I. Model. Hardly a "Target Gun".

The Mil Surp and police trade in market is always a good place to pick up some quality and proven designs.

I will say that a few years back I picked up a third gen S&W 5903 for my uncle that was a police trade in. Had some holster wear but was shot very little. Great gun for 300 bucks.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
bubbatime, I've long been intrigued by the SD9VE pistol. Where'd you find it for $259? That's a great price!

Palmetto State Armory black Friday sale. They had 150 of them for that price.

Wow; fantastic deal. One of these days, I may trade my M&P 9 out for an SD9VE if I ever want to start carrying more than a Shield. The SD9VE is, I think, one of the best carry guns of its size. Known reliable. Known good material quality. No safety. High capacity. Light weight. Cheap price.

Thanks for the explanation Bubbatime. The striker is fully charged like an XD but you get the long pull first shot. Might take a look at one later at J&G. We pretty much agree on other things. Be safe.

Rock Island Armory 9 MM.

It's a fixed sight G.I. Model. Hardly a "Target Gun".

Like I said, not looking for a 1911 debate because their supporters are rabid. I've trained extensively with a 1911, and with other pistols. 1911's are not used for defensive use by me, unless it's the only thing I have. They have a safety, and I despise safety's. They also on average are much less reliable than any $350-$600 polymer pistol on the market, and they are low capacity. The gun was great in WW1 and WW2. Today, there are better options.

If you are going to go all steel and fullsize, I think the CZ75 and its clones are the way to go over a 1911. Not quite as thin, but more ergonomic than a basic GI 1911 hardballer and more reliable. Not to mention the 16 round capacity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back