PS Fluid - Opinion; conventional or synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pay attention to the spec more than conventional versus synthetic versus blend. The G37 calls for Dexron-VI, so that's what I use, and as far as I know, it's usually a blend. The old Audi called for expensive Pentosin synthetic, so that's what it got. I do fluid replacement in the G37. I never bothered in the Audi, given the size of the reservoir and the cost. When the rack leaked, it got a good flush before I resealed it anyhow.

I use Royal Purple synthetic. The cheap conventional stuff tends to make the power steering systems on all my vehicles groan badly in really cold weather.

I also replace about a quart every year.

LDS in my Citroen and Dexron 2 or 3 whatever in my range, for my Taurus and the Scooby.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meborder
For those of you who don't ever change it, how long do you keep your vehicles?
Based upon the UOAs in my old FX4, the levels of metals were quite high and the fluid sheared down too. I let mine go to 90K before I changed it the first time. Fords tend to moan and groan over time, so for me I will be changing it earlier and more often.

I have had 2 cars with about or around 200k with mostly the factory stuff. I did suck out maybe 4-6oz's and top off with trans fluid but that's all. These were both GM vehicles. My ford ranger I changed more often as it was easier and it made noise when the fluid was old.
I used Valvoline Maxlife trans fluid in the ford and 1 of the 2 cars. The other car was regular Dex3 fluid as far as I remember.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
In the Honda, I use the factory fluid from the dealer. No idea if it's synthetic.

I don't think it is; I think it's mostly mineral oil with some additives.

I use the approved P/S fluid (prefer synthetic) and change it out with all other major service intervals (belts, brake fluid, air filter, etc), generally every two years. My Toyota requires ATF and I purge the old fluid around 20K and refill with less than a quart. This car has 340K and still has the factory Rack & Pinion.. Maintenance does make a difference.

The important thing is to change it, especially if it's old and no longer bright red. That's got me 330K on a Toyota pump and rack so far.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The important thing is to change it, especially if it's old and no longer bright red. That's got me 330K on a Toyota pump and rack so far.

Bright red? It's black like ink on my older cars and my new car doesn't have a PS pump that takes fluid.

I exchanged two quarts of ATF in the tranny once in each older car so I'm getting on board with the over-maintenance mantra promoted in here.

I use CHF11S in one car and Amsoil synthetic PS fluid in the rest, driving them 3-4K a year max they will never need changing again as long as i own them.

All I can say is that I have good experience with both CHF 11S and CHF 202, they are both excellent products.

Originally Posted By: meborder
For those of you who don't ever change it, how long do you keep your vehicles?

I'm going on 11 years with my CR-V. 224k
My 1989 MX-6 was 12 years old when I sold it. 165k
My 2001 Civic was sold in 2010 with 227k and zero issues.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
All I can say is that I have good experience with both CHF 11S and CHF 202, they are both excellent products.

The most important thing I learned was the OEM seal kit for my Audi's pump was under $2 and resealing it myself was much cheaper (and easy enough) than buying CHF 11S and topping up incessantly.
wink.gif
They do seem to be impressive fluids. The OCD in me wants to convert the G37 over to it, but the Dexron-VI is doing absolutely fine, too.

Do you use the Pentosin fluid in non-European cars?

Originally Posted By: ET16

Do you use the Pentosin fluid in non-European cars?

I only use recommended fluids in power steering, so if these products are approved for the application, yes. Materials compatibility is always a concern with PSF so personally I'm not willing to 'experiment'.

I switched my rigs to Amsoil ATF. Both run fine and have so for many thousand miles. My main purpose was for the cold morning starts. Was getting sick of the that GM whining....

I only use recommended fluids in power steering, so if these products are approved for the application, yes.

The Pentosin site occasionally drives me nuts, because they do list a fair number of applications that you wouldn't normally see using CHF 11S or 202 in North America, including some Infiniti/Nissan applications. At least here, when I had the Audi, the dealer didn't charge more for it than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back