Anyone have a Black Max Generator from Sams? $199

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Sam's yesterday and they have Black Max 3,600 running watt generators for $199.

I feel sure they are made in China but so is the other two I have been looking at around that size. One at Harbor Freight for around $299 on sale and one at Lowes that is a Gernerac for $379 that is also made in Chins.

Just wondering if the Black Max would be quality enough as just a standby generator for power outages.

Anyone have any experience with Black Max?

you get what you paid for, period.

Some have luck on those genny lasted many hours w/o blowing up on them (throws a rod, etc.) others: not such luck.

Q.

I can speak in generalities having a different Chonda gen but they're pretty good. The only weak spot in mine, and it's widespread reading online, is the fuel line being made of cheap rubber that dissolves over a couple of years.

Mine has "AVR" (Automatic Voltage Regulation) so the power output is pretty good, but there are somewhat more electronics that could drift from calibration.

I like 3600 RPM non-inverter generators for power outage use because the engine flywheel chugs through electric motors starting up.

I only have 2500 running watts, 3250 surge, but if I turn on my breakers one at a time I can get away with it. I have a shallow well with jet pump that runs on 120 volts and this gen carries it.

Remember generators are most efficient at 1/2-2/3 load so if you buy too much size, you lose gasoline to throttle pumping losses and getting gasoline in a crisis or storing it beforehand is an issue. 5-10 gallons a day isn't unheard of.

Originally Posted By: Quest
you get what you paid for, period.

Some have luck on those genny lasted many hours w/o blowing up on them (throws a rod, etc.) others: not such luck.

Q.
IMO they seem to be pretty good. Makes you wonder about the oil used in them. Did the guy put quality oil in it or some SB junk from the liquer store? Did he ever change it?

If you are a fully competent small engine mechanic and very comfortable with power generation theory then buy any Chinese generator. Personally, today I'd buy off EBay from MaxTool-Super-Sale, as they've been selling cheap generators for several years now and are close enough to me that I can understand how they keep selling for rock bottom dollar without going out of business.

I've read their warranty; 1 year parts and you pay for the shipping. With these cheap Chinese gensets it's not a matter of if, but when, you'll be repairing them. You need a reliable source of parts or it's tossed in the rubbish bin.

If you aren't a fully competent small engine mechanic or don't understand power generation theory then buy a top-shelf generator from a shop that services what they sell.

BTW, I read a review on Amazon of a Black Max buyer's attempt to fix his own. One World Technologies, Inc. wouldn't send him the part. His only warranty coverage was to drive the genset to the nearest authorized service center, 5 hours away from him. He had the mechanical ability to fix it, but couldn't get them to send him the part.

Last edited:
3600 running watts is plenty, provided you don't intend to heat water or run an air conditioner. I have a similar 3500 running watt unit by Champion connected to a ten circuit transfer switch. The primary loads include two refrigerators, a chest freezer, two PCs and the network infrastructure. Other "as needed" loads in my setup include the gas range (electronic ignition and oven controls,) dishwasher, 1/2 hp garage door opener and a bathroom outlet for the Misses to run her hair drier. We've successfully run the dishwasher thru a complete cycle with heated drying on this backup generator while the other primary loads were also running. Use quality oil, change it when recommended and check the oil level every time you add fuel.

I have no experience with that generator but I suggest you plan out your generator before purchase.

1) Figure out how many watts you need by nameplate or clamp-on ammeter. Peak for starting motors.

2) Determine how your going to connect it, transfer switch.

3) Where will it be located so you do not get CO poisoning.

4) Fuel - how much to keep? A power grid failure can occur anytime.

If you have a water pump then 5000 W minimum. Also the starting current is less if you have the starting capacitors in a switch on the wall vs down in the well with the motor. Two wires + ground vs 3 wires + ground.

OK, to share the common misconceptions with you RE: getting a standby genny for emergency use:

(1) always consider the list of devices you want to power up during outage, add up the total wattage and then de-rate them by 30%.

In other words: if the sum of all your devices you want to power up are, say, 5kWatts nominal, consider getting a 7.5kW unit.

Don't get too "tight" on the budget when doing this, for in my neighbourhood I've seen tightwads running exactly 5kW loads on a 5kW spec'ed chinese genny and the muffler was glowing, makes you wonder why so many of them failed during extended power outage (engine seized up due to excessive oil temp, etc.)

De-rating will help keep your single cylinder, air-cooled engine to run slightly less hot (lower duty cycle), and the engine will last longer too).

(2) if you are going after the inverter type gen-set, de-rate them esp. for AC motors and compressors. They (AC motors, etc.) typically need a surge current of twice or more to kick start the motor, and if you get something too close to your sum of device wattage, it will not start the motor or compressor.

(3) always form a habit of checking your oil level when you are in-between runs, e.g. cooling off the engine to add fuel, etc. Never assume that the engine is "new" or blah-blah-blah" brand and it will not consume engine oil (fault is always on owner if the engine seizes up due to lack of lubrication)

(4) lastly: when running non emission-controlled, air-cooled genny engines, always consider running it outdoor, as far away from the house and flammable liquids as possible. Given the rather terrible quality of construction RE: china gensets, always: get a portable A-B-C rated fire extinguisher on-hand.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Donald
If you have a water pump then 5000 W minimum. Also the starting current is less if you have the starting capacitors in a switch on the wall vs down in the well with the motor. Two wires + ground vs 3 wires + ground.

+1 water pump or not dictates the generator size.

Typically 5000 watt is okay but in my case my wife was insistent of being able to use her 2000watt hair dryer spee went with 6800 watt nominal.

Originally Posted By: Donald
1) Figure out how many watts you need by nameplate or clamp-on ammeter. Peak for starting motors.

+1

Here's a useful link for doing just that: http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/g...power-do-i-need

Make sure the running load doesn't exceed the generator capacity. As far as the starting loads go, there is no way they will all start at once unless you have an automatic transfer switch. No-one is going to install such a device for a portable generator. Whether you are using a manual transfer switch or extension cords, you control what starts when. I think I have over 8000 starting watts connected to my 3500 watt running / 4000 watt starting generator. That doesn't matter because the running load is less than 3500 watts and I control the start up order via the transfer switch.

Also not that there are often loads that you can't simply plug in. These include things like a well pump, the blower for your furnace, and your dishwasher to name a few. A transfer switch allows you to power these devices easily.

callbay, if your intent is to just have a portable generator to plug extension cords into, to run regular household items, this unit will suit your needs. I wouldn't spend big bucks on any non brand name, non-dealer unit.

good sale price... this was a 3550w. Now a 3600w. I think I saw a 3650w at full price next to it.

Clearance price is excellent. Grab it. Run it for on hour on whatever oil it ships with. Change the oil with a good synth. And be somewhat better prepared than having no generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back