methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I got this STP orange bottle octane booster. I have been seeking out 91 octane for this Chevrolet. I got this bottle, probably because, it is STP.....STP is in Marathon fuels.....Marathon fuels I like.....maybe because I like Ashland.....ok???

In my OM it dtates, GM recommends against the use of MMT. So....

What can I do with this bottle?

Also, under the CONTAINS stipulation, in addition to MMT, it just says petroleum distillates.

Thanks again

Another safe way to properly dispose of it would be to put in in your waste oil that you take to the proper disposal site at a local retailer or the municipal site.

BurrWinder

MMT contaminates underground (and surface) water sources, and while there's no definitive long-term health assessment reports yet, chances are, they will lead to some serious health concerns.

I'd dispose of it if I were you...mix it with used motor oil and then pass the oil along to the recycling depot.

Q.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Why not just buy premium at the pump?

The car seems to do well on 91. 91 is not exactly easy to find. There is alot of 93, Ive even seen 92 a time or two, dont know if 90 even exits.

Basic for this area is 87, 89, 93.

Guess I will just hold on to it.

Do you think any MMT is in the Lucas UCL/fi cleaner?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

The car seems to do well on 91. 91 is not exactly easy to find. There is alot of 93, Ive even seen 92 a time or two, dont know if 90 even exits.

NO.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

So...fill up with 92 or 93 octane?

Give it/sell to a biker with no cats, the all he has to do is replace his fouled plugs. Don't you use it. DEAD post treatment devices will follow.

Dammit, I am really POed at myself for being so "smart" that I did something really stupid.
Found myself low on gas in an area I didn't know that well and could not find 93 octane. I know the manual says that 91 is fine for my car, but I also remember my local (and horrible) dealer telling me that if I used 91 and threw a check engine light they would consider it to be my own fault.
Being a frickin genius, I thought I would just throw some octane booster in the tank!! I gagged a bit when I saw the price, but already had it in mind that I was going to do it and paid up.
Then I poke around online when I get home and find that the stuff has frickin MMT in it!!!!
I'm sure I would have been fine with 91 and can now clear my own CELs if needed, anyway. I am super ticked about what I have done and am wondering if I should just pay to have my tank drained for me. Car is running fine and I have burned off about 1/3 of the tank, but I sure as heck don't want cat or O2 sensor issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Dammit, I am really POed at myself for being so "smart" that I did something really stupid.
Found myself low on gas in an area I didn't know that well and could not find 93 octane. I know the manual says that 91 is fine for my car, but I also remember my local (and horrible) dealer telling me that if I used 91 and threw a check engine light they would consider it to be my own fault.
Being a frickin genius, I thought I would just throw some octane booster in the tank!! I gagged a bit when I saw the price, but already had it in mind that I was going to do it and paid up.
Then I poke around online when I get home and find that the stuff has frickin MMT in it!!!!
I'm sure I would have been fine with 91 and can now clear my own CELs if needed, anyway. I am super ticked about what I have done and am wondering if I should just pay to have my tank drained for me. Car is running fine and I have burned off about 1/3 of the tank, but I sure as heck don't want cat or O2 sensor issues.

With just one tankful you will probably be OK. Just don't use it again.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

With just one tankful you will probably be OK. Just don't use it again.

I will NEVER buy any STP products again!!
Not that I ever used any of their stuff much...probably some "gas treatment" when I was young, and maybe a few water removers over the years if I didn't see HEET when I was looking for it (usually for the snowblower).
No more if they put MMT in their crud!!!

LOL! If you think AshTeePea is bad (selling useless garbage), think many, many other Off Da Shelf additives that claimed miracles-in-a-can, and yet their parent company seems to be reputable (think "turdle-wax")

And the biggest kick I get out of many misinformed OTC/OTS additive users is that there are many, many of them still insisted that just because it was used during WW-2,and/or still selling over the counter, it must be good...yadda, yadda, yadda.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
LOL! If you think AshTeePea is bad (selling useless garbage), think many, many other Off Da Shelf additives that claimed miracles-in-a-can, and yet their parent company seems to be reputable (think "turdle-wax")

And the biggest kick I get out of many misinformed OTC/OTS additive users is that there are many, many of them still insisted that just because it was used during WW-2,and/or still selling over the counter, it must be good...yadda, yadda, yadda.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back