valve stems seal over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
neighbor had problem with 2 valve stems leaking on a 02 lexus, after getting new tires, leak was between rubber stem and metal rim, not out the stem center.
she went and got more stems installed from the tire dealer, a day later I put soap on it and it was blowing bubbles . she left town for a week, I checked them today after a week and the tire pressure was the same as what we inflated it to when she left (34 pounds). so no leak.

does time affect the sealing of a stem in any way.
I did not have a chance to do the bubble test again.

Usually they put new stems in on tire installs, but I guess one can cheap out and save a buck (if that). But since they put in new ones I can only guess that the rim(s) have corrosion around the hole which needs to be cleaned.

I bet if they take some bead sealer and pack into the stem, into the groove that holds it place on the rim, that the leak would go away.

I recently had a bad experience with old valve stems. They cracked and started to leak. Killed 2 tires in the process before I smarted up.

Yes, I should have known better!

Originally Posted By: supton
Usually they put new stems in on tire installs, but I guess one can cheap out and save a buck (if that). But since they put in new ones I can only guess that the rim(s) have corrosion around the hole which needs to be cleaned.

I bet if they take some bead sealer and pack into the stem, into the groove that holds it place on the rim, that the leak would go away.

Thats what I did if new stems leaked after install.
Well, I would clean the holes first and then bead seal the stems before putting them in.

When the old valve stem is removed, if I see any corrosion stuck to it I know the hole needs to be cleaned. On chrome wheels it is another story, but no sealer should be needed if the hole is clean. I think a lot of valve stems get damaged because the installer doesn't index the tire correctly when putting it on, and pulls the bead across the stem, and cutting it. Tire should be indexed the same coming off, and back on just like with TPMS sensors. Bead sealer should never be needed on a clean wheel, with new tires either. Too many times I have seen a good wheel with bead sealer slobbered all over making a mess for no reason. New cars do not have bead sealer slopped all over the wheel.

All you need to do to replace a sensor, or stem, is break the outer bead, then compress the sidewall with a quick-grip bar clamp, or similar to get some room.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
can you put the stem in AFTER the tire is on the rim (but not expanded up to the bead)? that is reach between the tire edge and the rim ?

Yup, you want a utility knife or something to cut the nub off on the inside. You may also want a small mirror to check for corrosion

The easiest but slowest bead breaker is a cheezy car scissor jack with its base on the tire, and its head on a car frame.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
can you put the stem in AFTER the tire is on the rim (but not expanded up to the bead)? that is reach between the tire edge and the rim ?

Yup, you want a utility knife or something to cut the nub off on the inside. You may also want a small mirror to check for corrosion

The easiest but slowest bead breaker is a cheezy car scissor jack with its base on the tire, and its head on a car frame.
Yup, the guy who told me that one has been gone a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back