Wal Mart Car Battery Value Power $48.88 Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use the new cheap value power Battery from wal mart? We did some engine work to a Honda suv for a used car dealer and he brought a new battery that we installed. He said it was $48.88 at Wal Mart 600 cca.. Are those batteries any good and who makes them. It said it has a 1 year replacement warranty.

I'll probably put one in my Camry when the current battery dies. I was going to put one in the 1970 Beetle on Monday but they didn't have one in the right size.

certainly it contains less lead and is built to a lower spec - but if your need fits that model... yes, I do recall the unusual battery size for my 74 beetle.....

I have one in my F150. Has a direct-drive starter and it chugs over the same as ever. The real test, of course, will be the upcoming winter.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I have one in my F150. Has a direct-drive starter and it chugs over the same as ever. The real test, of course, will be the upcoming winter.

Be sure to report back to us in a review post. Thanks!

I won't know how it is this battery is for a used car dealer that is having a head gasket done at my shop. Visually it looked good..lol

Heck, I might start using this battery in my truck every three years or so. Better than the interstate Megatron I paid big bucks for.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

So I finally drew the conclusion that my starter motor was drawing too many amps, and running too slowly.

Slapped a new one in. Same design as old, and I missspoke, they're both gear reduction.

Anyway, it starts great. Battery was a red herring, but it starts great with the valupower.

Update... I left my glovebox door open with the light on for 3.5 days. Cranked right over like it was nothing.
01.gif

Taking a charge now, been at it for a while, very thirsty.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
certainly it contains less lead and is built to a lower spec - but if your need fits that model... yes, I do recall the unusual battery size for my 74 beetle.....

Do you have anything resembling PROOF of this assertion?

If you're strapped for cash and just need a battery, it will be fine.

But, I'd step up to the EverStart Maxx of you have a little more money to spend.

3 yrs full replacement, 2 yrs prorated. Johnson Controls makes both, if I recall correctly.

Stay away from Wal-Mart batteries. I worked there as a lube tech for 2 years and I've seen many fail inside warranty. Wal-Mart keeps old batteries to be sent out and recycled.

Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
Stay away from Wal-Mart batteries. I worked there as a lube tech for 2 years and I've seen many fail inside warranty. Wal-Mart keeps old batteries to be sent out and recycled.

Interesting since thefew that I know that have them had no issues so far....

Originally Posted By: Hemispheres

Batteries die from neglect and abuse. People accidentally and intentionally kill their batteries and make warranty claims.

The value power battery left at a high state of charge will last longer than any abused battery that costs 5 times more

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

The value power battery left at a high state of charge will last longer than any abused battery that costs 5 times more

Agree completely.

Just want to add that any battery contnually left in an under charged state qualifies as abused. The lower the state of charge and the longer it remains there, the higher the level of abuse, and the faster the battery capacity, and cranking amps, decline.

Also there is a wide deeply ingrained misconception that the alternator is an instant magical battery recharger. The sad truth is, is that a battery that is only 80% charged, needs no less than 3.5 hours at proper charging voltages to reach full charge. Your vehicle will not hold the ideal charging voltages to accomplish the 100% recharge from 80% in those 3.5 hours, thus the actual time to achieve 100% State of charge from 80%, can easily double or triple the driving time required.

One can discharge a battery to 80% in 20 minutes of listening to the radio with the engine off, perhaps less, but there is NO POSSIBLE WAY, to recharge this same battery, depleted to 80%, back up to 100% in less than 3.5 hours.

It does not matter if you have a 200 amp alternator. It requires time at the proper voltages to reach 100%, and the 100% recharged battery is the happy battery.

If more people were aware of this and could actually do something about it, very few batteries would need to be warrantied, and batteries would be much less expensive than they are.

How charged is your battery? Use a hydrometer, and not the cheapo type with floatng balls. Those are a waste of landfill space. OTC 4619.
A voltmeter is only useful if the battery has not seen any charging or discharging for many many hours, and only if there is a reference for comparison on that specific battery.

Meaning a AGM battery A might rest at 13.1 volts when fully charged, and flooded battery B might rest fully charged at 12.62 volts. AGM battery A reading 12.63v would be very far from being fully charged.

So person X seeing 12.7V and declaring the battery is fully charged, could verywell be viewing the inside of their own rectum, yet broadcasting their view with full deluded confidence with the hope of company to join them.
Don't be like person X.

I've no personal experience with wal mart's cheapest starting battery, and never will.
However, Noone is going to get more than they pay for from a retailer.

Though many live their lives trying to prove otherwise.

If you need that one year warranty. At that price I can buy a used Optima yellowtop at my local Interstate. 30 day warranty but I'll take my chances. I have two used Yellowtops going 3+ years in a couple of work trucks. Having a properly functioning charging/starting system is key.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back