Ford T5 Manual 5 speed NWC, needs Dexron2..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,
Would like to know what others are using in their old T5 manual transmissions for fluid changes. My manual shows Dexron 2, but as you might have guessed it's no longer available
Lots of internet info on the non-world class (NWC) variety transmission, and it seems to need a 50 weight gear oil.
So tell me what you guys are using successfully.

Thanks,

My '99 Tremec T56 6 speed is spec'd for Dex III. I use the same Valvoline DEX/Merc blue bottle shown above. Some of the components in these earlier manual transmissions don't sit well with synthetics or the newer DEX 6.

Pennzoil and Valvoline have synchromesh fluids at your local autopart stores.

Redline D4 and Mobil1 ATF are also good choices.
Honda MTF
RoyalPurple Synchromax
BG Synchroshift
Ravenol or Pentosin MTF2

On a budget, any conventional Dex/Merc domestic ATF can be used. Most brands and stores carry them. And, Ford/GM have transfer case fluids that are for conventional Dexron or Mercon filled gearboxes.

Don't get hung up on using or finding DexronII. But, Redline "SYNTHETIC ATF for DexronII" is no longer on their website. Still might be able to find it online or a stocking Redline dealer. Lost but not forgotten:

816-30104.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/red-30104
http://www.hrpworld.com/store/default/red-line-synthetic-atf-qt.html

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
My '99 Tremec T56 6 speed is spec'd for Dex III. I use the same Valvoline DEX/Merc blue bottle shown above. Some of the components in these earlier manual transmissions don't sit well with synthetics or the newer DEX 6.

The last line above is up for discussion/speculation, as some EARLY, pre-carbon blocker ringed, T56es (even the Borg Warner produced ones) have had NO blocker ring/synchro problems using either a synthetic Dex 3, OR a synthetic MTF.

The bolded above is not just correct, but I will add that a Dex 6 ATF should NEVER EVER be used in a T56/TR6060 (and probably not in ANY Tremec/NV manual which calls for an ATF).

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

The last line above is up for discussion/speculation, as some EARLY, pre-carbon blocker ringed, T56es (even the Borg Warner produced ones) have had NO blocker ring/synchro problems using either a synthetic Dex 3, OR a synthetic MTF.

The bolded above is not just correct, but I will add that a Dex 6 ATF should NEVER EVER be used in a T56/TR6060 (and probably not in ANY Tremec/NV manual which calls for an ATF).

That's exactly why I stated "some" T56's. Earlier versions (like my 1999) are incompatible with some synthetics, syncromeshes, ATF 6, etc. Even Tremec themselves only recommends ATF DEX III and Mobil 1 synthetic ATF as the only approved/verified oils for the 1998-2002 T56's. Not sure how many years beyond that it might go. I have no intention of ever using anything but those 2 products in my T56. And my fill plug is labeled with DEX 3 only. All those other products have an increased "risk" of being incompatible on "some" T56's. Considering that 3 of the 5 years that the 4th Gen F body was produced have cellulose in the blocker rings (1998-2000), that's a significant number of T56's.

I have always run M1 ATF in the T5's with great shift characteristics even when in extreme cold. It is an excellent choice IMHO.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

That's exactly why I stated "some" T56's. Earlier versions (like my 1999) are incompatible with some synthetics, syncromeshes, ATF 6, etc. Even Tremec themselves only recommends ATF DEX III and Mobil 1 synthetic ATF as the only approved/verified oils for the 1998-2002 T56's. Not sure how many years beyond that it might go. I have no intention of ever using anything but those 2 products in my T56. And my fill plug is labeled with DEX 3 only. All those other products have an increased "risk" of being incompatible on "some" T56's. Considering that 3 of the 5 years that the 4th Gen F body was produced have cellulose in the blocker rings (1998-2000), that's a significant number of T56's.

At least part of that "speculation/discussion" I noted is BECAUSE Tremec ONLY actually tested those two 'recommended' fluids you've mentioned in your post, and NO others (either in the earlier cellulose composite blocker ringed models, OR the latter carbon lined blocker ringed boxes).

I have used full synthetic/high POE content base stock, Red Line D4 and MTL in my late 1999/early year 2000 built, cellulose composite blocker ring equipped, T56 for almost it's entire 16 year/180+K mile life and have had NO/0 problems with this gearbox.

Others, even those who abuse their gearboxes even more regularly than I with even MORE racing/road course use, have had similar results using high POE/group 5 content base stock fluids in their T56es.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back