Mobil 1 vs fram ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ga129
I also can not find info on M1s website about the actual filter efficiency and the fact that the filter media is a synthetic blend.

It's shown in the FAQs section (1st question):

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters are designed to remove more impurities (99.9 percent Multi-Pass Efficiency Test rating) and hold more contaminants (22.5 grams capacity) than conventional oil filters, which make them ideal candidates when oil drain intervals are extended."

They don't say at what particle size though, so the 99.9% efficiency is kind of useless not knowing at what size particles.

Here's the burb in the FAQa about the media:

"Most conventional oil filters use a filter medium that is made of cellulose – typically wood fiber – and polyester fibers. Mobil 1™ Extended Performance Oil Filters combine a mixture of synthetic microfibers and natural fibers to produce a highly efficient oil filter."

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
They don't say at what particle size though, so the 99.9% efficiency is kind of useless not knowing at what size particles.

That's what I was talking about. I don't know why they are afraid to show that information. Even the filters that don't filter the smaller stuff have no problem stating their efficiency.

That's what I was talking about. I don't know why they are afraid to show that information. Even the filters that don't filter the smaller stuff have no problem stating their efficiency.

Good question ... guess they think it won't look too good if they tell the whole story. It's bad marketing to not show all the info if there is nothing to hide.

All companies can write what they want about filter efficiency, even if it isn't true. Who is going to buy the machines and do the tests to verify? Someone could call Mobil and ask. The person on the phone could make up a number. It could be micron size isn't on the site because someone doesn't know enough to think it is important. Very very few people in the world are taking notice of these numbers, most people think of an oil filter in simple terms, like a coffee filter. It is a filter that's it. I was thinking complicated about my coffee filter this morning, then stopped it.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
All companies can write what they want about filter efficiency, even if it isn't true. Who is going to buy the machines and do the tests to verify?

Very true that the everyday guy isn't going to have filters ISO tested to confirm the claims, but you can bet other filter manufacturers would certainly buy and test the competition's oil filters. The big makers are checking on each others products and claims, looking for false claims and advertising because a lot of times the performance numbers make the consumer lean towards the product they see having better performance.

It could be micron size isn't on the site because someone doesn't know enough to think it is important. Very very few people in the world are taking notice of these numbers, most people think of an oil filter in simple terms, like a coffee filter. It is a filter that's it.

True ... most people don't even know what a "micron" is. They see "99.9% efficient" and automatically think that is a super good filter.

I was thinking complicated about my coffee filter this morning, then stopped it.

Yeah, what sized micron coffee grounds are getting past that coffee filter and going into your stomach? Also, coffee isn't very desirable when the filter ripped and let all kinds of big chucks into your coffee.
smile.gif

The Castro sfx series says they are 99.9%@25 microns by their test. They are described like and look a lot like the M1 filters. Maybe it's something.
http://www.filtersandwipers.com/oil-filter/catrol-sfx-premium/

The Castro sfx series says they are 99.9%@25 microns by their test. They are described like and look a lot like the M1 filters. Maybe it's something.
Lots of inaccuracies on that website-they're NOT USA made (Korean), they do NOT have similar media to a M1, they were falsely stated to be Champion Labs/Fram manufactured. There are a lot of equivalent or better alternatives available, WIX (Carquest) closeouts, Fram Pro Synthetics/Ultras from eBay or Advance with codes, I wouldn't risk them personally.

The M1's can does seem a bit thicker. They also have a different base plate design.

I wouldnt get too caught up in which one is better or more efficient. Both are good.

Be a wise consumer and buy the least expensive option.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's no contest there. The Ultra blows it away.

Since they are BOTH 15K mile oil filters, what do you base your statement on?

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's no contest there. The Ultra blows it away.

Since they are BOTH 15K mile oil filters, what do you base your statement on?

I'm sure for starters the fact that the Ultra is has completely synthetic media versus blended. And is also cheaper almost all the time.

The Frams filtering media is what blows the MI filter away. The M1 is a great filter though and probably would not notice any difference for the life of the engine.

I'd use either with confidence. The M1 filters are made by Champ Labs whom are owned by the same parent company as Fram. Champ Labs also make the Amsoil EA and Royal Purple filters. My guess is the extra weight is the can and base plate thickness on the Champ Labs filters as they seem to be quite robust.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Lots of inaccuracies on that website-they're NOT USA made (Korean), they do NOT have similar media to a M1, they were falsely stated to be Champion Labs/Fram manufactured. There are a lot of equivalent or better alternatives available, WIX (Carquest) closeouts, Fram Pro Synthetics/Ultras from eBay or Advance with codes, I wouldn't risk them personally.

From the thread earlier in the year, the Castrol SFX is USA made by Champ labs. All I was saying is because of that, and the similar features listed, it may be the M1 has an efficiency rating similar. Maybe.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Lots of inaccuracies on that website-they're NOT USA made (Korean), they do NOT have similar media to a M1, they were falsely stated to be Champion Labs/Fram manufactured.

Someone on here bought a Castrol filter, and it was indeed a US-made Fram that looks much like M1. Same date code format that Fram uses on the M1 and Champ filters.

Here is a CAS2, clearly showing it's NOT Korean.

I bought a Fram PS4386 intending on going through the winter or 15k on Delvac 1 5/40...thinking these squeaky tite low micron filter might plug up faster? any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back