VW ATF for 09G 6 speed auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a month away from fluid and filter change on my 6 speed auto (09G). VW ATF (G 055 025 A2) is 25 and change per quart, Fuchs ATF 4400 is 11.50 and Castrol Import Multi Vehicle is 4.99. Fuchs purportedly is exactly equivalent and the Castrol is recommended for Audi part number G 055 025 A2 but not VW specifically. This is a 2009 Passat 2.0 turbo gasser with 75K.

Would the Castrol be compatible with the VW fluid?

Sure would like some expert advice!

Amsoil recommendation:

Automatic Transmission,09G......TIV [3]
Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT)

[3] VW part no. G 055 025 (A2) or equivalent

Amsoil ATF LINK

This 09G AT - it's made by AW - yes? Besides the Amsoil recommendation - there must be a "linkage" somewhere that T-IV fluid is AW's recommendation.

I would advise you to use the recommended fluid rather than just guess whether other claims are valid or not. Where is the data that supports the claim is what you have to ask?

Where is the data that doesn't support the claim?

Where is the data that supports a 500% markup on a fluid?

Where is the data that states ONLY G055025A2 can only be used and NOTHING else?

I'm not prepared to get in a slanging match with you. It's a shame that you seem to have such a low opinion of our American Automobile manufacturers ... however, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, as I am mine.

Let's just leave it there.

I have the same tranny in my 08 Mini Cooper S with 23,000 miles and did 2 drain and fills recently with Mobil 1 ATF and it shifts faster and better than before. Only could drain a little over 2 quarts each time. Did it cold, measured the amount out and in. Did each drain and fill a week apart. The tranny holds about 6 quarts.

I have used Toyota Type T-IV in my 09G for the past 30,000 miles and it still runs good. I am about to try Redline D4. It seems that ANY fluid is cheaper than the stuff the VW dealer sells. I hear the OEM fluid is not so great anyhow. It particular it is not so great in the first 5 minutes after starting the car. There are better fluids than the stuff VW sells. Just because they make you pay a fortune to change the fluid, it does not mean that there is no fluid better. It is a good fluid to use if you are afraid to try anything else and it is not the worst one there is. I found that Type T-IV is OK for these cars by reading a bit in the Volvo forums and that is because this transmission is used in many cars. It is used in Mazda, Jaguar, Mini, Toyota and others and in more than one car made by each auto maker. With that said there are indeed other fluids we can use, just change them more often if you are unsure of how long they last and preferably do that at the first sign of trouble.

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion on this subject of which fluid to use on an Aisin TF-60SN or VW 09G. I own a 2012 Golf 2.5L Base w/auto transmission and I just recently changed out the fluid/dropped the pan and changed the strainer. Did this @ 27k miles. 2 drain and fills. Fluid wasn't too bad but the magnets had quite a bit of metal fuzz/fine shavings. Pan was dirty. VERY pleased I didn't wait any longer. Drain and fill fluid capacity is aprx. 3.2 qt. (Read on another post w/the pan drop and new strainer...6 qts.? Don't see how this as correct.) If you're doing for the first time measure what comes out. Then by all means drop the pan/clean the magnets and pan and install the new strainer.) A little more fluid will be in the strainer. Very easy to do a pan drop on this transmission. Filling is a little messy but not too bad. Have a new gasket ready on the final fill you plan on doing as these little drain plug gaskets run $4 @ the dealership! Finally, I used Toyota Type-IV fluid bought @ Toyota dealer for $60, case of 12 quart bottles. I'm sure there's other fluid out there to use, but IMO if you do 25-30K drain and fills you should be just fine w/the Type-IV (same as Mobil 3309 fluid from what I've read...heck Aisin sells its own branded fluid for roughly the same amount.) There's nothing overly exotic about this transmission except for the overly messy fill procedure. I didn't use a temp sensor. But from MY experience and from what I've read on line...3.2 Qt. is correct.

Newer 09G requires a G 055 540 A2 spec. Does anyone know whats the difference between G055 540 and G055 025? Are they totally different or just a name change? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tom777
Newer 09G requires a G 055 540 A2 spec. Does anyone know whats the difference between G055 540 and G055 025? Are they totally different or just a name change? Thanks!

-025 is equivalent to Toyota T-IV. -540 is equivalent to Toyota ATF-WS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back