Falken Ziex Ze950 or Pro G4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Disclaimer* - I'm very OCD. This post is splitting hairs, but I want opinions regardless. Please read completely.

It's tire time for the SS. It has been running Falken Ziex ZE912 tires:

I have heard it all, but my
49.gif
: They were absolutely fantastic. Even at (slightly below) the wear bars, I am very pleased with the traction. Great dry, wet, and IMO absolutely sublime in the snow (maybe except at the current tread depth). These are W rated, so the tread warranty was 40,000 miles. They were put on just a few weeks before I bought the car. So far, only counting what I can prove, I am between 39 and 40 thousand miles. They held up well...

So, I've made up my mind I want one of these two tires: the ZE950 and the Pro G4. G4 is only sold at DT, Ziex elsewhere. *NOTE* Price is no object. Two companies fight for the best deal here, so they are both going to be the same price.

Yes, there actually is a tread difference. It's very minor though.

Here are the best comparison pictures I could find. Note the picture orientation is outside --> inside.

The Ziex ZE950:

The Pro G4:

For those that can't tell them apart, I am separating the tread into four sections, divided by the rain grooves in the tire:
1| 2 |3|4
The differences are in sections 1 and 3.

Section 1's difference is that the horizontal sipe in the 950 does not go all the way through, and instead has a diagonal sipe.

Section 3's difference is that the deep diagonal sipe in the 950 is facing the inside of the tire, with a thin sipe continuing in the same direction to the other side. The G4's deep diagonal sipe is facing the outside of the tire, backward, with a thin sipe going the opposite direction to the other side.

I know there is probably not much difference in the two. But I'm just as picky with my tires as I am my oil. What do you guys think, are there any pros or cons?

Originally Posted By: Rand
The G4 is a copy of a very good and modern sumitomo design the HTR A/S P02.. So I would go there. Excellent value tire..

http://www.sumitomotire.com/cars/products/HTR/htrasp02.aspx
There is also a difference or two in that tire. I am aware Sumitomo owns Falken, so of course there are similar tread designs. Clearly you didn't read the entire post and reply in 4 minutes....

I have a set of the ze950s on my car. They've been a great tire so far even though I know theirs a lot of falken haters but I couldn't beat the price. Buy 3 get 1 free promotion when I got them as well. I haven't had them long enough to tell you about tread life but they're rated 65k miles for mine at least. The only complaint from me would be road noise on certain roads.

Ha! OCD shines through again, "Section 2" has differences as well. The thin sipes in the blocks of tread are different. The G4's sipes are squiggly, the 950's are straight. Another difference is the block orientation on the outermost blocks (left) on the G4 in section 2. The grooves go slightly backward (down) vs the 950's grooves going slightly up. Last, the sipes in the "center" blocks of section 2 are facing out on the G4, inward on the 950...

No, currently I do not have anything better to do.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MathewB
I have a set of the ze950s on my car. They've been a great tire so far even though I know theirs a lot of falken haters but I couldn't beat the price. Buy 3 get 1 free promotion when I got them as well. I haven't had them long enough to tell you about tread life but they're rated 65k miles for mine at least. The only complaint from me would be road noise on certain roads.
Thanks for the input! Road noise never bothers me....

The Pro G4 is actually a Sumitomo HTR AS P02.

The main difference between the ProG4/P02 has more siping than the 950 for better snow traction. If that doesn't matter, get the 950.

I'm not really a fan of exclusive/private tires, so I'd go for the 950 for that reason alone, unless you can get a MUCH better price on the G4.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Pro G4 is actually a Sumitomo HTR AS P02.

The main difference between the ProG4/P02 has more siping than the 950 for better snow traction. If that doesn't matter, get the 950.

I'm not really a fan of exclusive/private tires, so I'd go for the 950 for that reason alone, unless you can get a MUCH better price on the G4.
Well, no. There are differences in all 3 tires, even though most people would call all 3 tires identical. Interesting you mention snow traction though. It does matter to me, as it does occasionally see snow. What's strange is that from all the reviews (specifically regarding snow) the G4 is worse than the 950. In the other categories both are very similar. Strange... So may I ask, why do you say the G4 does better in the snow?

Just going by what you have stated and the pictures you have posted, I would pick the G4. It probably doesn't make a massive difference, but I like the 3rd section better on it. However, I would be willing to bet it is a little louder than the 950 because of the larger spacing in section 2, but that also may not make any difference. My 2 cents. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Ga129
Just going by what you have stated and the pictures you have posted, I would pick the G4. It probably doesn't make a massive difference, but I like the 3rd section better on it. However, I would be willing to bet it is a little louder than the 950 because of the larger spacing in section 2, but that also may not make any difference. My 2 cents. Good luck.
Now that's what I was looking for! Someone who is just as detailed as I am
crackmeup2.gif
. Seriously though, thanks for the input!
thumbsup2.gif

I can't imagine there is much of a difference in traction between the two based on the tread patterns. Do you know if the tires are made from the same compounds? That can make just as much of a difference as the tread pattern, epsecialy in cold weather.

If it is the same, the G4 looks like it would be better in wet and icy conditions with more zig-zag siping, and the 950 might have an edge in deeper snow with its wider spacing.

Last edited:
No really the falken G4 pro and the sumitomo are the same tire.

Compare 2 pictures of the same size tire.. as different sizes will have the tread elements "optimized".

I have never really liked falken tires but the G4 Pro is an excellent value tire.

Your OCD type posts are long on detail, quick to dismiss others, and short on actual knowledge.

here are pictures of the 2 tires..

t_20150324.falhh1.xl.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

keep in mind the tires are reversed. They are asymmetrical

and they show the Falken with the opposite orientation vs the sumitomo.

If your SS is running stock size tires 235/50-18 the measurements for section and tread width are the same. The ZE 950 weights a little more 29.8 lbs vs 28.9 for the Pro G4, if that matters to you.
If it was my pick I'd go with the Ziex ZE 950. You were satisfied with the 912s so why not stick with the newer Falkens.

Originally Posted By: jmb3675
I can't imagine there is much of a difference in traction between the two based on the tread patterns. Do you know if the tires are made from the same compounds? That can make just as much of a difference as the tread pattern, epsecialy in cold weather.

If it is the same, the G4 looks like it would be better in wet and icy conditions with more zig-zag siping, and the 950 might have an edge in deeper snow with its wider spacing.
Both tires have the same compound, verified by Falken directly. I do somewhat agree with your wet/ice vs snow concepts. Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
If your SS is running stock size tires 235/50-18 the measurements for section and tread width are the same. The ZE 950 weights a little more 29.8 lbs vs 28.9 for the Pro G4, if that matters to you.
If it was my pick I'd go with the Ziex ZE 950. You were satisfied with the 912s so why not stick with the newer Falkens.
Interesting. Yes, stock tire size. I didn't know about the weight difference. Thanks for the input and info!

No really the falken G4 pro and the sumitomo are the same tire.

Compare 2 pictures of the same size tire.. as different sizes will have the tread elements "optimized".

here are pictures of the 2 tires..

t_20150324.falhh1.xl.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

keep in mind the tires are reversed. They are asymmetrical

and they show the Falken with the opposite orientation vs the sumitomo.
31.gif
These tires are similar but not exactly the same. Look at what I called "section 3." That's the thinnest strip of tread between the two rain grooves closest together. If you can't see the difference, I can't help you
21.gif
. And I know, you're rolling your eyes and saying "really?" Yes, as I said in my OP, I'm splitting hairs.
Your OCD type posts are long on detail, quick to dismiss others, and short on actual knowledge.
That was the purpose, to point out exactly what my questions were (long on detail), and to deter people who don't care or blind post (quick to dismiss others). Perhaps you overlooked this like you overlooked the tire differences. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just conveying my point. I'm far from "short" on actual knowledge.

What made you decide between only these 2..or should I say how did you narrow down to these two? Have you considered others? Personally I think there are other better choices to consider.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
What made you decide between only these 2..or should I say how did you narrow down to these two? Have you considered others? Personally I think there are other better choices to consider.
I have. As I said, I have previously used Falken tires (the predecessor of these two tires, I might add). They were/are stellar. The only tires in my size/speed rating that are even worth entertaining (for many reasons) were these two, or the Pirelli Cinturato P7s (mileage warranty is 70,000 miles for W-rated tires
crazy.gif
). These are rated for 45,000 (5,000 more than my current set). The P7s really aren't worth the price tag to me, as the cost is higher than $800 out the door. I can get these Falkens for $480 out the door, possibly less (still looking). I know the Falkens last their rated mileage. I've heard from many sources Pirellis do not.... That is my reason. $/mile while receiving stellar performance.

For all intents and purposes The G4 Pro and the htr a/s P02 are the same.
Just like when you buy a club version of a popular tire.
You can with confidence read reviews on either tire.
There is attention to detail.. and there is lack of common sense.

for example if you purchase either of those tires in a wider size the difference from the same Brand of tire far exceeds the differences between the 2 different Brand tires in the same size.

And both are better than the ziex 950.
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
I put a new set of the G4's on our 2014 Town and Country ($400 including install), they definitely have exceeded my expectations so far. The tread design seems aggressive and has lots of sipes. Obviously they are not snow tires but I think they would do better than most "all season" tires in light snow. The car rides way quieter than it did with the stock Khomo tires.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back