2015 WRX FA20DIT Mobil 1 ESP 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous UOA for reference:
15_07_14_Mobil1_ESP_5_W30.png

Most recent UOA:
15_11_19_Mobil1_ESP_5_W30.png

IGNORE all the typos in the images, I don't know why they keep thinking I'm using Mobil 1 5W30. I also couldn't figure how to fill out the OAI form, super complicated.

Both oils have roughly 5.5K on them. I went stage 2 about 4K on the previous UOA. The most recent UOA, I've been fully at stage 2. During the summer, I ran a tune that was setup for 91ACN with Torco. Since fall/winter, I've switched to my 91ACN only tune.

Everything looks fine too me, minus the Nickel. I guess that is the worrisome part. Oxidation, fine. Manganese that is the MMT. Copper dropped, which is good to see. FYI, the motor is just at 20K.

Curious to hear thoughts regarding the nickel.

OEM Black filter.

Only filter I've ever used.

I was under the impression that ESP 5w30 is pretty close to 40W. I'll test the next sample in a few months and see what happened before switching.

ESP is a thick 30 grade.
Modded engine ... mod the oil grade/additive recommendation too. If grade isn't working, get more additives. Low SAPs ESP is opposite direction with additives but bumps HTHS/visc.

Another thick 30 grade is the Castrol 0w30, without the low SAPs designation.

Try the Mobil-1 5w30 high mileage oil if you don't want to go 0w40.
https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks for the input.

BTW any guesses as to where the Nickel could be coming from?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
ESP is a thick 30 grade.
Modded engine ... mod the oil grade/additive recommendation too. If grade isn't working, get more additives. Low SAPs ESP is opposite direction with additives but bumps HTHS/visc.

Another thick 30 grade is the Castrol 0w30, without the low SAPs designation.

Try the Mobil-1 5w30 high mileage oil if you don't want to go 0w40.
https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

The '15's have direct injection so M1 ESP is becoming more popular with DI Subies in hopes of putting off/lessening intake value deposits using a lower SAPS oil.

While some N. American tuners are already posting pics of WRX's showing IVD and recommending walnut shell blasting, Subaru Japan still allows high SAPS Castrol 5W40 in the DIT WRX. Maybe also consider a mid/lower SAPS 5W40.
21.gif

49.gif
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
16_11_21_Mobil1_ESP_5_W30.png

A few more UOAs later...and the nickel is still present.
frown.gif

Car has only had the black subaru filter and Mobil 1 5W30 ESP.

Unfortunately, I've got enough ESP to last another 30K! The curse of the right click happy online shopper.

Last edited:
edyvw runs this oil ... Are there any diagnostic tests this motor could need ?

The engine in the car was part of a Subaru recall. Part of the procedure required a leak down test, which it passed. I believe it was 1% across all cylinders, so at least the piston rings are solid.

Not sure what else I can do.

I am doubtful there is issue in plain bearings here, though I can't explain Ni #.
Thicker 40 wouldn't help, I suppose.
OCI could probably be extended instead.

STAGE 2. I'd go 10w50 or 15w50. Look at Forced Performance pdf about its dyno test with M1 10w30 ruining the performance engine. Give up from the M1 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Give up from the M1 5w30.

The Mobil 1 5W30 is not the thin M1 xW30 that FP and others warn to generally stay away from. ESP has a higher HTHS and thicker kinematic viscosity than the GF5 versions.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Yes, miserous 0.2 cSt higher, molasses

Nope, look again. While it's not molasses, and an even thicker oil might be beneficial, ESP is 1.2 cSt higher on the kv @ 100C and .4 higher on the HTHS compared to the GF5 5W30.

17_01_29_Mobil1_ESP_5_W30.png

I ran upper cylinder lubricant for about 4000 miles. Not sure if this was the cause of magnesium. Nickle dropped, which I'm happy about. But the TBN is shockingly high. All my previously test with this mileage had TBN in the 2-3s. I will say the one the that has changed is my commute. Its longer, which is causing my OCIs to be shorter in time. Mileage is the same, but the time between changes is much shorter. Additionally this oil run had a 700 mile road trip, and a bunch of dyno pulls to be tuned for ethanol. The car has been running E60 for the last 4000 miles.

When did XOM remove the TBN from the data sheet?
confused.gif
50.gif

Just a guess that the TBN is around 6 to begin with so something must be up. Lab error, this is actually a VOA, or you used a different oil. The viscosity also matches XOM's data sheet. I would contact OAI unless you think you may have sent in unused oil.
55.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back