I tried Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Firefox was crying for a Flash plug-in and, when the button was clicked, decided that it really couldn't install Flash after all.

ubuntu-restricted-extras (or edubuntu/ xubuntu/ lubuntu, etc.) are available through the Software Centre or via an apt-get command. That "meta" package includes several closed-source codecs in addition to Flash. Adobe no longer makes Flash for Linux so you'll be using version 11.x or 12.x, I forget.

Exactly what do I need that for? I don't have it and so far I can play MP3's and videos already???

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Exactly what do I need that for? I don't have it and so far I can play MP3's and videos already???

That meta package includes the last (and, if I am not mistaken, still occasionally updated) Adobe-supported Flash player for Linux. It also has a boatload of other codecs for a variety of media that you may yet come across; eg. I am not sure that AC-3 audio is supported out-of-the-box in any F/LOSS OS's.

The [your-Ubuntu-variant]-restricted-extras is honestly the very first thing that most experienced *buntu users do after a fresh install. It immediately mitigates all of the patent-encumbered software issues that F/LOSS OS's are not legally allowed to redistribute.

I put 32 bit Linux Mint Mate on an older machine about a year ago. It's one of the XPC form factor machines ( Asus, MB, I think) some type of Athlon processor, 1 MB RAM, on board graphics, sound, etc. I.E. barebones. Old enough and weak enough that the 64 bit stuff is incompatible, and Cinnamon would just install and freeze.

It's in my radio room, so it sees little use. The Mint interface reminds me of the old OS/2. I like that. The install, described in an earlier thread, was cumbersome.

It's worked mostly OK for the last year, but it's getting, buggy. Some programs randomly stop and then restart again after thirty seconds or so. The update manager is buggy - it will tell me there are updates, but when it goes to install them, it will report an error message to the effect of it can't find the file(s). I could never get FireFox to stream video. Opera will - sort of - but not very well. When you switch pages, the page switches, but the embedded video remains. To get the new video, the poage has to be refreshed. The Office Suite is poor, imo.

Linux is light years better than it used to be. I wanted to like it, I really did. But Linux still doesn't really do anything I need to do with a computer. It's still not ready for prime time for most people. Including me. I will probably reinstall XP on this machine when I get some time. Most of the time when I'm in my radio room, I want to burn solder, not fool with a computer.

Originally Posted By: Win
It's one of the XPC form factor machines ( Asus, MB, I think) some type of Athlon processor, 1 MB RAM, on board graphics, sound, etc. I.E. barebones.

That right there would explain some of your problems.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's one of the XPC form factor machines ( Asus, MB, I think) some type of Athlon processor, 1 MB RAM, on board graphics, sound, etc. I.E. barebones.

grin2.gif

Yeah, it's old and weak, for sure. And could be getting hardware glitchy.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

grin2.gif

Yeah, it's old and weak, for sure. And could be getting hardware glitchy.

Like Ramblejam said and you admit- it's likely a failing hardware problem. I ran Ubuntu on our shop's old laptop for a couple of years. The last few months it started getting buggy and really sluggish- especially if you left it run overnight and it got good and warm. Upgraded to a more modern PC and it's back to perfect.

Could be, I tend to believe it's not failing hardware, but I'm not ruling it out yet. Won't really know until I switch it back to XP.

But being unable to actually do anything I need it to do is definitely a software problem ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back